Sign in to follow this  
Jeston

[NEW UI] Floating Combat Text Option

Now that we have confirmed option for overhead chat text with the new UI is now implemented mostly, I think it's important to also have an option to enable floating combat text from the combat log for personal attacks/hits/heals on yourself and mobs.

The Concept-

Red Text- Physical Damage

Grey Text- Misses/Glances/Minimal Damage

Green Text- Heals/Bandaging/First aid/Covers

Blue Text- Magic Damages

Options-

Change Text Size

Change Text Float Duration

Change Text Starting Opacity

OPTION TO DISABLE

Avol5wW.gif

HFbeRiw.gif

Now I know these are crappy concept pictures and it doesn't have one for healing yourself or another creature

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

considering damage is pretty consistent once you get some skill (if hit 1 is deadly hard and damage, so will hit 2, and 3, and so forth) and there's already visual indicators for hits/glances/misses/spells/whatever, what would be important about it, it's pretty much visual clutter you can ignore currently as it doesn't tell you anything important. Couldn't you just float the combat tab (when floating tabs is added) and shrink it to 1-2 lines and get the same thing?

• Like 2

That is quite a wall of text, don't think that is where a modern UI should head to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

considering damage is pretty consistent once you get some skill (if hit 1 is deadly hard and damage, so will hit 2, and 3, and so forth) and there's already visual indicators for hits/glances/misses/spells/whatever, what would be important about it, it's pretty much visual clutter you can ignore currently as it doesn't tell you anything important. Couldn't you just float the combat tab (when floating tabs is added) and shrink it to 1-2 lines and get the same thing?

That is lot of unnecessary work and brings no value to a new player looking for feedback in their combat, you are looking at it from at 10+ year perspective vs someone new who only sees their health dropping quickly and dragging the combat tab across the screen and expanding it as they die doesn't help at all. Having tabs all over the place is clutter. Floating combat text options would actually keep it from being less cluttered and the feedback is much better than fast scrolling texting if you are in a multi combat situation with other players already.

Edited by Jeston

I could enjoy this if;

- you can toggle it on and off, as a standalone feature (nothing to do with combat log)

- it only shows the damage type and/or defence type. For example "deadly cut" and "glance".

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

If it has enough customization, for example the text only triggers when I land/receive blows to the head or critical hits, this would be a nice feature for all types of players.

@Oblivionreaver makes a fair point that damage is pretty much the same otherwise, but for something more variable like magic it would still be quite useful.

Edited by Draulius

10 minutes ago, Jeston said:

That is lot of unnecessary work and brings no value to a new player looking for feedback in their combat, you are looking at it from at 10+ year perspective vs someone new who only sees their health dropping quickly and dragging the combat tab across the screen and expanding it as they die doesn't help at all

compared to "you hit x however hard and y it" being crucial info that will bring lots of value to a newbie?. If a newbie gets the message "you hit old black wolf extremely hard in the left calf and harm it" what does that do for them? how hard is extremely hard? how much is harm it? does hitting it in the leg slow it down? it's useless text that relies on you knowing the game and knowing how much each of these things is to get info out of it. Watching the health bar dropping atleast gives you an estimate to how much health is being taken away and is a much better way of measuring how much damage you take/deal as a newbie anyway. 

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

TURN YOUR SHIELDDDDDDD *wall of text* ARROW ARROW ARROW ARROW ARROW

And what would happen when you have 20-30+ people killing a unique? 

It would be even worse than it is now 

Edited by atazs

Just now, atazs said:

And what would happen when you have 20-30+ people killing a unique? 

The option is only for personal combat status specifically to watch your own damage in combat whilst the other 30 people get smacked in combat tab

I would love customizable floating text, but the text itself needs to be minimal in text length. 

Example: "You deal 37 damage" 

"You're hit for 25 damage" etc. 

"You easily evade the hit"

I've never been a fan of vague descriptions in games. It just forces me to waste time googling wikis and forums to get a straight answer due to lazy developers not bothering to add in a useful description to a mechanic/item/spell/ability/stat, etc.

"You damage the venerable black wolf" Well yeah....that's the point of combat. How much is "damage" in quantifiable terms? 12.63 points of HP? 

As long as it can be customized to show your damage and alternatively other people's damage near you, that's fine. The combat in Wurm needs a serious overhaul. Would be nice if hits to body parts actually did something, as in slow a creature down, or hitting a player's weapon hand reduced his chance to hit or lowers his swing timer. 

Overall + 1, just needs some extra design features to make your own combat feedback setup.

Those who want the old school setup can opt out and not be forced to display such numbers but everyone should be free to customize their interface as they like, that's one of the good features of a great game. 

Edited by elentari

As long as Wurm uses non-numerical damage indicators, floating combat text will be more unhelpful than not. If Wurm does a combat overhaul and includes damage notifications as percent of health or as rounded integers, then floating combat text would be able to really shine. Right now, as I see it, combat text on the combat tab is best used for after-combat review. Are my attacks hitting? Are they hitting hard or not? Do I need to focus on gaining FS or imping the QL of my weapons? The current combat text provides a good overview of information needed for you next fight.

At present, the only thing I actually need for this fight would maybe be floating health bars. Turn 'em always on; always off;  only on in combat; only on when damage is taken. 

I adore floating combat text. In games that use it, combat text is one of the very first things I customize, personalize, or mod. If Wurm ever implemented numerical dmg indicators, I would like the following options for combat text: 
• color code damage & healing (basic includes red for dmg, green for healing, grey for misses/glances... advanced includes colors for damage types?)
• possible use of scale-able icon for damage type (cutting, piercing, fire, frost, ranged, etc)
• ability to emphasize critical hits & heals (font size, color, animation?) (gods, do we even have crits?)
• color and/or icon for status effects (hurting, stun, focus level, etc)
• ability to customize combat text placement on screen 
• ability to customize combat text scroll direction 
• ability to customize combat text scroll type (columns, rows, vert. or horz. curves, cloud)
• toggle for show incoming, show outgoing, only damage, only heals, only mine, mine + pet, only team's, team + pets, everybody in combat, everybody in range)
• toggle for show as integer / show as percentage of total health
• ability to disable entire combat text display

Ok, if it does not occupy the devs' work schedule too much and some love it, and it is possible to toggle it off, I refrain from a -1.

But not more. I would love a detachable combat tab/window which would allow to see event and combat at a time. But honestly I deeply hated the spill of numbers and/or text in some games. Most time they created more confusion than knowledge and were simply ugly.