Sign in to follow this  
Katrat

Better sleep bonus based on better bed ql.

Recommended Posts

This is a suggestion my mayor (who is not in the forums) asked me to share. He is a high skilled carpenter and feels it would make sense to have added sleep bonus given from higher ql beds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nah, it's better fair and even to everyone like it is now. There's a better way to make carpentry more useful without gimping people who can't do it or maintain their beds.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

inB4 SB nerfed for LQ beds 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kohle said:

inB4 SB nerfed for LQ beds 🤣

So instead of adding to the SB for the better ql beds they subtracted from the SB for the lower ql beds? The whole idea is to reward the accomplished players not penalize the poor newbs.

Edited by Katrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katrat said:

So instead of adding to the SB for the better ql beds they subtracted from the SB for the lower ql beds? The whole idea is to reward the accomplished players not penalize the poor newbs.

So you want the current rate of SB gained by lower QL beds, but give a bonus to higher QL beds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Katrat said:

The whole idea is to reward the accomplished players not penalize the poor newbs.

But it DOES penalize the poor newbs if they're getting less SB than higher-skilled players, regardless of how that result is achieved.

 

It's good that there are a few game mechanics that operate the same way for everyone, regardless of skill level.  Shouldn't be more than a few, as those who put in the necessary work to gain skill should of course be rewarded.  But Wurm can be a harsh world for new players.  They're less likely to get discouraged if they don't feel like they're at a disadvantage in every conceivable way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Minnie said:

It's good that there are a few game mechanics that operate the same way for everyone, regardless of skill level.  Shouldn't be more than a few, as those who put in the necessary work to gain skill should of course be rewarded.  But Wurm can be a harsh world for new players.  They're less likely to get discouraged if they don't feel like they're at a disadvantage in every conceivable way.

Good point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Minnie said:

But it DOES penalize the poor newbs if they're getting less SB than higher-skilled players, regardless of how that result is achieved.

 

It's good that there are a few game mechanics that operate the same way for everyone, regardless of skill level.  Shouldn't be more than a few, as those who put in the necessary work to gain skill should of course be rewarded.  But Wurm can be a harsh world for new players.  They're less likely to get discouraged if they don't feel like they're at a disadvantage in every conceivable way.

 

Oh no! Someone has the option to obtain a superior item from someone else, just like with everything else! How will they ever survive?!

 

It's almost like there should be incentive to obtain better items and to improve your skills, and rewarding those that do somehow isn't a heinous act.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would shorter log off timer be a nice touch but not overpowered?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some sort of bonus for sleeping in a higher QL bed - like higher stamina regen for a lil bit after a decent amount would be alright, although may be OP on Epic.

Would make sense as poor quality beds make your muscles sore and all of that jazz. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Agatino said:

 

Oh no! Someone has the option to obtain a superior item from someone else, just like with everything else! How will they ever survive?!

 

It's almost like there should be incentive to obtain better items and to improve your skills, and rewarding those that do somehow isn't a heinous act.

So... newbs should have to buy a bed or accept it as a gift, instead of making it themselves (thereby gaining skill).  But...it’s important to incentivize and reward skilling.  You see how those two points don’t quite play nicely together?


There are already plenty of incentives to improve your skills.  And players who improve their skills are already rewarded in myriad ways.  We are talking about one item (ONE item, out of hundreds) that a new player can create on their own (not buy, or accept as a handout), and get the same benefit as everyone else.  Take that away, and new players will be that much more likely to get discouraged and quit.  


If you want more SB, bust out a dollar and buy a powder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If this was implemented why would you bother with a bed, just use epic portals, missions and sleep powders.

 

Way easier to build an epic portal then it is a bed btw.

Edited by Middi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Minnie said:

So... newbs should have to buy a bed or accept it as a gift, instead of making it themselves (thereby gaining skill).  But...it’s important to incentivize and reward skilling.  You see how those two points don’t quite play nicely together?


There are already plenty of incentives to improve your skills.  And players who improve their skills are already rewarded in myriad ways.  We are talking about one item (ONE item, out of hundreds) that a new player can create on their own (not buy, or accept as a handout), and get the same benefit as everyone else.  Take that away, and new players will be that much more likely to get discouraged and quit.  


If you want more SB, bust out a dollar and buy a powder.

 

Or they make their own and lose absolutely nothing, because they would gain exactly what they gain right now. It isn't rocket science.

 

And let's clear the air--you would get discouraged and quit. Most players would think "oh, that's a nice bonus. I need to acquire that." if they even realize what sleep bonus is. Instead of projecting your entitlement upon others, take a step back and look at the situation objectively: if anybody was to be discouraged, it would be over the fact that one can, as you suggested, spend money directly for more sleep bonus, as opposed to acquiring an item that allows one to do so. A situation where money directly translates to far better skillgain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 1 hour ago, Agatino said:

Or they make their own and lose absolutely nothing, because they would gain exactly what they gain right now. It isn't rocket science.

 

If they gain LESS sleep bonus than other players, it is potentially discouraging.  More specifically:


If they gain X and other players gain X+1, it is potentially discouraging.
If other players gain X and they gain X-1, it is potentially discouraging.  


It’s the "LESS" part that is potentially discouraging, not the concrete amount of SB gained.


Perhaps that concept is a bit closer to rocket science than your contribution above, but I do think we should all still be able to process it.

 

1 hour ago, Agatino said:

 

And let's clear the air--you would get discouraged and quit.

 

It's cute how you think you know what I would do and what I think.

 

1 hour ago, Agatino said:

Most players would think "oh, that's a nice bonus. I need to acquire that." if they even realize what sleep bonus is.

 

So you’re allowed to postulate about the thoughts of newbs, but I’m not?  Seems grossly unfair.  ☹️

 

1 hour ago, Agatino said:

Instead of projecting your entitlement upon others, take a step back and look at the situation objectively:

 

Your opinion is also subjective, of course.  We're both looking at the situation subjectively.

 

1 hour ago, Agatino said:

if anybody was to be discouraged, it would be over the fact that one can, as you suggested, spend money directly for more sleep bonus, as opposed to acquiring an item that allows one to do so. A situation where money directly translates to far better skillgain.

 

Whether or not they’d be discouraged over the existence of sleep powders is an unrelated question.  Doesn’t advance your argument nor diminish mine.


However I am much too exhausted and have procrastinated way too much already to continue on with this business of dissecting logical fallacies.  I therefore concede defeat.  You win--congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel discouraged to level up my carpentry and fine carpentry skill now, it's all useless, cant make anything out of it, not even get a bit more sb, what's the point in playing and doing more if you cant make anything of your progress, it's just a number.

But it's ok, completely new players having no clue that dirt isn't a meal wont quit because they will be getting the same amount of sleep bonus #WhatAWonderfulWorld

 

If you feel other's higher skill is letting you down.. you have issues mate, level up your skill, get to the 'higher class', upgrade, move up a tier, you can trade or get gifted a better bed being an upgrade or ql imp by anybody, you don't have to make it all on your own.

 

I see nothing bad in getting a little bit more.. for doing more than other are willing to do, it's how things work usually. If you get an hour of sb per day and somebody else gets 10-20% more by having a better item, that's just a reason to get 1 of that item in whatever way... making it on your own, buying, trading for it, receiving a gift, finding it at fallen deed or ditched somewhere on the server..

 

Does a coc or botd fishing rod make new players quit because somebody else is getting 2x more skill than a new player is?

Greed and envy gets no content, more means to get better rewards gives you something to do in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Minnie said:

Whether or not they’d be discouraged over the existence of sleep powders is an unrelated question.  Doesn’t advance your argument nor diminish mine.

 

rofl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this