Sign in to follow this  
Homagu

Seasonal servers

A suggestion to keep this game alive longer.

Seasonal servers with automatic resets. This would be of great interest to people that likes to start fresh with with balance between players.

Also many like me me can play seasonally for a few weeks or months but then stagnate and stops playing.

Comming back after a long time makes it less fun when others are way ahead.

Being able to time a comeback with a reset works really great for returning players.

Thanks for reading my bit.

jackal was a seasoned server and allegedly will keep being one. However it was a fail, so dont think many ppl prefer starting fresh every few months..

• Like 1

I still think Challenge was a good idea that didn't get the polish and love it required. It was a short, fast paced wurm version with a competitive side that will always appeal to some players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

jackal was a seasoned server and allegedly will keep being one. However it was a fail, so dont think many ppl prefer starting fresh every few months..

They actually said they were shutting down Jackal

On 5/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, DevBlog said:
  • The Jackal server will be shut down after it’s closure.
    • Since its finish, the Jackal server has been up in order to allow accounts still on it to cross back and receive points and skill transfers. Shortly, we will be shutting the Jackal server down as we prepare to focus on the Steam launch. If you have an account still on the Jackal server and would like to receive the points from transferring, please do so soon.

The problem I think is that while it sounds like a good idea to "refresh servers" now and again, that's characters that are still part of those servers too. That is what a lot of folks don't want restarted as achieving higher levels in skills take a long time to achieve.

The thrill of a fresh map with a "new start" only lasts so long too, though we will see how the disconnected new maps will go.

I find you learn to forget about the outside world (other players with higher skills and abilities) it takes a lot of the stress off your shoulders when it comes to the idea that there people out there who can do something better than you.
One reason I don't buy those fancy enchants and only use what myself (and my deed-mates) and produce. Online is just for the socialization and for what resources (not items) that we don't have readily available to ourselves that we can trade. :P

Just now, Zera said:

They actually said they were shutting down Jackal

Might be misinterpreting what they're saying; they are closing the server itself as it's no longer possible to play it, and a fair amount of time has passed to allow any players the chance to exit and receive their points. As such, there's no reason for it to continue running until the next "round," whenever that may be. It's likely not gone for good.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, Samool said:

It's definitely not returning before the Steam release - we're currently focused on improving the base game more so than the extending content.

4 hours ago, Odynn said:

I still think Challenge was a good idea that didn't get the polish and love it required. It was a short, fast paced wurm version with a competitive side that will always appeal to some players.

I do wish they gave it more time to be polished and tried a little longer because it was pretty exciting and fun. A few more seasons of it would of been awesome especially if they used what they learned and made it better.

I actually enjoyed the Jackal server greatly, and look forward to it's return- as I think a decent group of other players do as well.  It needs some work, but the devs are focused on more pressing things at the moment. I look forward to Jackal making another appearance in the future.

Jackal?

It still needs a few things polished.. but else it's pretty much what you ask for, +additional goal/s on the server besides just the 'start over from scratch and than a reset'

I think with PVP this is more of an issue than with PVE.  I have avoided PVP altogether on Wurm, and pretty much any game that has been around for more than a few weeks, because newbie-popping is so easy for advance players and so frustrating and disheartening for the newbie.  I don't think there would ever be a way to negate genuine experience - I don't even think there should be - but a starter with starter skills and gear is just fodder for someone with high levels of pretty much everything.  I think the Epic curve is an attempt to address that, but I have no real idea of how successful it is.

If Wurm had the population and growth for it I would say each new server should come on-line Epic PVP like - i.e. you can go by teleporting in with a character reset - then after some period have it become PVE and sail-able (awarding it permanently within whatever kingdom was dominant at the time maybe?) and start a fresh map for the PVP crowd to port over and start again.