Sign in to follow this  
Jakari

Rares during improving.

Can you still get a rare roll from doing improvements? Been doing it alot and for extended periods and not got a single rare roll.

getting rares thru improvement its like NEVER. if it is single creation item, like horse shoe, i would suggest just spam creating them in thousands, as when you get rare roll it will be rare. While improving, even if you get rare roll, the action itself has to be successful, if you damage the item at the end of the action you improve - no rare. Now even if the action succeeded and you didnt damage the item, you still have like 1/10 chance that item will turn rare.. Another thing worth mentioning from my own observations is the thing, that noob accounts tend to have 10 times more "inspirations" doing anything than developed acc.  I can craft, improve on my main for days without getting a single inspiration, but when you go to do something on your noob alt, it gets inspirations nearly every hour. Its just the way it it, perfect mechanics i was told long ago lol

Yep, 90% of my rares have been through improving. And I have a lot of rares. When I want to rare something I will sit and imp it for hours and hours. That's how I supremed my sailboat (after 3 days of imping and 20ish failed rolls) and, more recently, a saddle I spent about 3 hours imping. Just takes time and dedication. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Yep, 90% of my rares have been through improving. And I have a lot of rares. When I want to rare something I will sit and imp it for hours and hours. That's how I supremed my sailboat (after 3 days of imping and 20ish failed rolls) and, more recently, a saddle I spent about 3 hours imping. Just takes time and dedication. 

I really like anecdotes like this. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Lucky you. 93+ship building here and I only have a rare knarr because I bought one :)

Improving is how i used to get them back in the day, but since starting back up i've had no luck at all. Water and lumps take longer doing blacksmithing and i'm probably missing my window there.

You can up your chances by reducing the timers (higher ql tools, higher skill, etc) and also by getting bonus window through deed bonuses.

Imp few hundred to 80-90qls you'll get  few rares usually and maybe supreme or two. Though do that without doing anything else or you might waste rare roll on farming or smth. When i was imping past 95 or 99qls i got fair amount of rare rolls but fail imp chances are higher at this point...

On 6/7/2020 at 9:22 AM, Skatyna said:

getting rares thru improvement its like NEVER.

uncommon. A far cry from "NEVER"

if it is single creation item, like horse shoe, i would suggest just spam creating them in thousands, as when you get rare roll it will be rare.

Or, you can just slow-create. Default rare-window time is 20 seconds, boostable up to 30 seconds. If you have a 24 second rare window roll time as a member of your deed, you can create a horseshoe every ~22 seconds to be safe, and when you hit the window, you'll get a shoe. You'll save a lot of iron this way, and on average you'll get one every 263 horseshoes.

While improving, even if you get rare roll, the action itself has to be successful, if you damage the item at the end of the action you improve - no rare. Now even if the action succeeded and you didnt damage the item, you still have like 1/10 chance that item will turn rare..

While correct that only a success will work, it's a 1/5 chance for the rarity roll to succeed, not 1/10. 

Another thing worth mentioning from my own observations is the thing, that noob accounts tend to have 10 times more "inspirations" doing anything than developed acc.  

100% false. 

I can craft, improve on my main for days without getting a single inspiration, but when you go to do something on your noob alt, it gets inspirations nearly every hour. Its just the way it it, perfect mechanics i was told long ago lol

Yes, for ALL accounts, inspirations average out to 1 per hour. This is because (roughly speaking) every second there's a roll of 0-3600, if it rolls 0 you get a rare drumroll window. There's also a roll of 0-7200, where if you get 0, you get an affinity gain window. Anyone who told you that noob accounts get more inspirations than older accounts is as trustworthy as someone who tells you that putting food in a barrel with water slows its decay, or that killing parent animals prevents inbreeding checks on the children. (These have both long-since been proven to be player misunderstandings based on limited anecdotal experience)

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

I'm a bit late to this but I wanted to add:

I have a few rares of things I actually wanted rares of, and I got them all from improving, never creating. It is rare but if you ONLY improve one thing for hours, or days, or weeks, it's a safe bet you'll get a rare of that thing.

So as I was improving 20 gauntlets, one rared eventually. Same with the other items.

Almost all rare I have created is by improving. It seems the chance has been reduced I fail a lot more than I did in past, maybe high skill reduces chance. Things like ships, it is much more likely to improve them rare, because of high item count.

When queuing improve actions for rares, queue a single action followed by repair. If you queue multiple actions you have a slightly lower chance of getting a roll, especially with maxed bonus timer. Also, never start with repair, or you'll almost never get a roll. Repair eats all rare windows open, but has 0 chance of generating a roll. For a year I did repair/imp/repair/imp queue, and didn't think it was possible to get rolls imping, or at least I never did. I changed my activity to a single imp/repair queue, and presto would get many rolls a day. Still only the 10-20% chance that those rolls actually produce anything, but at least I was getting rolls.

Edited by Kelody
  • Like 1

Remember: If you get your villages rarity window improved (up to 10 seconds), the drumroll's make their appearances much more frequently.

Participating in Valrei item finding missions and saccing them on full favor can boost village rarity windows, as well as saccing locks amongst other things. I often find Valrei items sailing around, especially near server borders.

7 hours ago, Kelody said:

When queuing improve actions for rares, queue a single action followed by repair. If you queue multiple actions you have a slightly lower chance of getting a roll, especially with maxed bonus timer. Also, never start with repair, or you'll almost never get a roll. Repair eats all rare windows open, but has 0 chance of generating a roll. For a year I did repair/imp/repair/imp queue, and didn't think it was possible to get rolls imping, or at least I never did. I changed my activity to a single imp/repair queue, and presto would get many rolls a day. Still only the 10-20% chance that those rolls actually produce anything, but at least I was getting rolls.

I assume the same goes for creating? So if using the crafting window, only do 1, let stam regen, repeat?