Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Server Downtime & Celebration's Move

There will be an extended downtime on June 11th at 1pm UTC while we take the servers down and move Celebration to a new hosting provider.

Since this is a trial run, I will refrain from delving too far into the details of the provider and only say that I’ve been impressed with their knowledge and willingness to learn about Wurm’s needs. I’ve worked closely with them for a number of weeks now and I have confidence that we will be impressed with the result of this test.

Once Celebration has been running successfully on this new provider, we will announce everything and answer any questions. I can’t wait to do a deep dive post on what we’ll be doing for hosting and how it will all work.

For now, happy Wurming!

Update: Celebration has moved!

• Like 21

Better have that post ready @Keenan, the mystery will force us to(spoil it for ourselves and) lookup the new ip asap all servers are up again :)

• Like 1

Sucks to be the test rat, but I guess that's how it goes 😕  Hopefully this helps.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:27 AM, Finnn said:

Better have that post ready @Keenan, the mystery will force us to(spoil it for ourselves and) lookup the new ip asap all servers are up again :)

The provider is called Cloudnet and I've worked with their team directly from the start. It's not like Hetzner or OVH where you put money in the vending machine and get a server out. They do monitoring and support as well.

13 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Sucks to be the test rat, but I guess that's how it goes 😕  Hopefully this helps.

Celebration is being selected for this because it's not running as well as we'd like on AWS. Given the benchmarks on the new host, I suspect Celebration will be running quite well post-move.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Keenan said:

The provider is called Cloudnet and I've worked with their team directly from the start. It's not like Hetzner or OVH where you put money in the vending machine and get a server out. They do monitoring and support as well.

Are they providing a solid DDOS protection?

Celebration is already inaccessible from Exodus: [23:38:58] An enourmous shark scouts you from below.

Also cannot plot there. Not even in the list.

• Like 1

As much as I'd be pleased to sort Celebration out first, surely Xanadu has suffered for a lot longer. If the hosting sorted that out, the other servers would be a breeze :) Or is Xanadu's lag nothing to do with the hosting?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Celebration is already inaccessible from Exodus: [23:38:58] An enourmous shark scouts you from below.

Also cannot plot there. Not even in the list.

Can plot from Pristine to Cele so it seems Exo / Cele connection is broken. I dare not to cross though from there either ...

12 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Can plot from Pristine to Cele so it seems Exo / Cele connection is broken. I dare not to cross though from there either ...

Should be fixed now, it happened due to the crash Exodus had last night - that broke the link between Exodus and Celebration that we were able to restore now without restarting the servers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samool said:

Should be fixed now, it happened due to the crash Exodus had last night - that broke the link between Exodus and Celebration that we were able to restore now without restarting the servers. 

I'm off the game already to test but thanks a lot for the fix!

Edited by Jaz

Still not able to receive mail from Exo to Cele at this point of writing.

Thanks for the head's up, Keenan. Will take note.

23 hours ago, Keenan said:

Celebration is being selected for this because it's not running as well as we'd like on AWS. Given the benchmarks on the new host, I suspect Celebration will be running quite well post-move.

https://www.cloudnet.hosting/ and https://www.cloudnet.se/ for the swedish version im assuming is the one you are talking about and not that nasty piece of browser hijacking software of the same name ;)
nasty 

11 minutes ago, wipeout said:

https://www.cloudnet.hosting/ and https://www.cloudnet.se/ for the swedish version im assuming is the one you are talking about and not that nasty piece of browser hijacking software of the same name ;)
nasty 

It's Cloudnet hosting or se and their plans on the page do not reflect the service we're being provided as we're receiving a custom package.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keenan said:

It's Cloudnet hosting or se and their plans on the page do not reflect the service we're being provided as we're receiving a custom package.

I figured as much reading in on their twitter and what people talked about they offer simple services like the ones on their site and also go beyond for those who need more so seems like a better choice

19 hours ago, solmark said:

As much as I'd be pleased to sort Celebration out first, surely Xanadu has suffered for a lot longer. If the hosting sorted that out, the other servers would be a breeze :) Or is Xanadu's lag nothing to do with the hosting?

yea... Xanadu's lag comes from it's size not because of the hosting.

1 hour ago, Timoca said:

yea... Xanadu's lag comes from it's size not because of the hosting.

Xanadu's hamster wheel is bigger so the hamster gets tired quicker and has to do more intermittent stops. That's what causes.the lag.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

We're aware of and working on a connectivity issue with Celebration. Please refrain from travel to that server until we've resolved the issue. You *will* be unable to play if you sail to Celebration at this time.

Rebooting Golden Valley to resolve the Celebration connectivity issues.

All is well again. Celebration is alive and talking with the other servers properly!

• Like 7

After a short session - maybe less than an hour there is 0 lag on Cele \o/

No refreshing...., no waiting to open my doors. So far looks awesome.

• Like 5

I can drop large quantities of dirt for terraforming without ANY server lag now. This is great! Much appreciation to you Keenan for your tireless efforts. 

I will admit the lag has bothered me to the point I don't play much.... I can't wait to jump back in this weekend.  The feedback seems great, so nice you have resolved this!

• Like 1

Looking really good on Celebration this morning. Zero lag as far as I can see. Nice work @Keenan

It's totally smooth, no container lag, no door lag, nothing. It's beautiful.

How about doing the x2 skill for a few days to celebrate?

• Like 4