Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Conhost.exe Freezing the Game

Hi,

Since my recent return I've been having a problem with the game randomly freezing for a minute or so, at a time. Happens about once every two of hours. My graphic gets a white screen overlay. I can Tab over to my Taskmanager and end the Conhost.exe process, and the game goes back to working normally. If I do nothing and let it run itself out, the game works again normally after about a minute or two. Any help would be appreciated. Did a search here for "Conhost.exe", that resulted in zero hits.

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Java Updated after this occurred

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that was the page I read after this occurred. Conhost.exe filesize is normal. CPU demand is normal. No virus detected. File location is correct in the System32 folder.

Adding that I don't always get the white screen overlay. There is no CMD window opened up when this occurs. It only occurs when playing Wurm, so far.

Java is now integrated into wurm itself so that wont be affected by you updating the system java
It really does seem like a graphics driver issue so best would be to reinstall those and do a clean install with ddu and in save mode https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Afterwards install your drivers again and see if it happens again

Generally if you have a nvidia graphics card installed conhost is running because of NVIDIA Web Helper.exe which starts it up

Anyway try what i posted above and see if it still happens afterwards

I run a pretty tight ship. This is what is running after a clean boot.  I don't have anything start up, that isn't essential, for the most part. If I want a program running, I run it.  As for Nvidia call home software, there are two "STOPPED" processess in the Task Manager Services list. Have you any idea if one of these two is "calling home"?  - NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem  and  NVTelemetryContainer.  They are not running when this occurs, but will double check next time.  I remove "Bloatware" actively.

Conhost.exe and Tasklist.exe are the two processes that fire up and hang Wurm. (Tasklist.exe was overlooked at first post, looked like it belonged when I made the OP, realize now it is starting up with the Conhost.exe)

Will check graphics driver, but vid card is a bit older on this machine. Not sure they even make updates for it anymore.  :)

Appreciate the help and reply. 

Edit: have to best video driver already installed , as per the NVidia update site.

Task-Manager.jpg

Edited by Gumbo

Well given the fact that conhost is required for cmd to be able to talk to explorer i really doubt that that on its own is the issue where as tasklist is nothing more then a program that displays a list of current running processes which is generally called when a program crashes in order to create a crashdump

Also click the show processes from all users to get a better listing of it

So my guess is something somewhere goes wrong unrelated to wurm most likely related to a driver going haywire and crashing then those 2 programs start up for the crash log to be created with all relevant data and thus again id still suggest just uninstall the drivers and reinstall them even if you have the newest ones installed just so that you can rule out corrupted drivers being the issue for the crashes(it so often is that)
If after a fresh install of the drivers it still keeps happening you could look in event viewer for any critical errors that might be occurring around the same time stamp of the game freezing up it might shed some light on the issue that is going on

On a unrelated note zonealarm i havent seen that in a long while surprised to see someone still uses that

Also note that win 7 is at end of life way back starting of this year and thus isnt supported anymore by most things(nor security patches) so might be time for you in the not so future to maybe consider an upgrade to 10(which just to say you can install use a local account(not microsoft account) and disable all phone home software with 2 simple programs and get rid of all bloat ware on it and actually make most pcs run better

• Like 1

Great stuff with the help and advice, thanks much.