Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

Well, there goes the neighbourhood

One of the good things about Haverstmoon Lagoon is that there are no village rules.  It is also one of the bad things.

I hadn't logged into WO for a little while, due to a combination of busyness and illness.  I was on briefly maybe two weeks ago (ish?) for a quick spot of maintenance. 

I have a nice little spot in Harvestmoon Lagoon, with a pleasant view looking out across the water.  Scratch that... Make it "had".  The view has been replaced with the arch of a bridge that runs right next to my yard, with an abutment landing right outside the corner.  It looks like the whole thing exists to provide direct access from ONE estate to the town bridge (saving one right turn and one left turn using the town streets).  

One of the reasons I logged in was to take a look at my house and decide if I needed to "normalize" it a bit to fit into the neighbourhood.  I personally like the look of it, and the mayor insists it is pretty, but objectively I know that a neon-green timber structure without exterior walls above the ground floor sticks out a bit.  I had a mind to toning it down a bit, maybe putting up some traditional walls, to make it fit the neighbourhood aesthetic.  I logged back out wondering why I had bothered.

Sadly, I think it might be time to move.  The location is notoriously laggy, but I could put up with that because the neighbours are so nice.  One, though......   If this bridge has been built by who I think, they have form for somewhat "anti-social activity" in my opinion.  We had a forest cut down, with many ugly stumps left and no replanting done.  I was a minor part of the clean-up, but there was a fair bit of tracking and talking to work out who had blown through leaving such a mess behind.  When the player later casually mentioned that they had done it, the mayor was, I thought, exceedingly diplomatic in asking for stumps to be cleaned up and sprouts planted (some of the woodlands already had signs saying don't cut if you won't plant).   Very shortly later, I logged in and someone immediately asked if I knew anything about the oak stumps in various spots in the town (generally inside fences, not just out in the open).  Same again, with requests to not leave messy stumps everywhere, and one player put up some signs at the entrances to an estate specifically saying "Don't cut down these oak trees".   This new bridge goes straight from the town bridge to the that player's estate, so I think the conclusion is safe.  I am going to go all parental and say I am not angry, just disappointed.

I am only a minor player, semi-hermit (but a little too chatty in chat) and happy to go about my own thing on my own patch,  but I know that every time I see that bridge across my sight-line I am going to get aggravated.  Time to seek quieter pastures, I think.

Edited by TheTrickster
fix some typos etc

The wemp plantation right? 

I heard the news about the bridges. Yeah. 

I also heard that some of the villagers are moving to near by towns that are a part of the Alliance to live there instead of everyone being in the same spot. 

Check out tiki across the water. Lots of space over there and up on the hills. 

Plus valaheim, I think it is called, is pretty empty. From the last time I went there so many months ago. 

Sorry TheTrickster. I should have waited. But I can show ya a few more places by the ocean

It did catch me completely by surprise.  I know I hadn't been on much, but one time there was nothing and the next the arch of a bridge right next door.  Whatever discussion there was, I missed. 

Part of my thinking about toning down the look of my house was that I had been considering relocating anyway.  This kind of clinched it.  I don't think "town" life is for me.

I had been thinking about the area in behind Tiki.  Also, the hills on the East side of town, but they did already look quite occupied.

I wouldn't mind going as far away as the hilltop where Rotgut Ridge used to be (x33 or x34) but I would need to put in a bit more in the way of Guard Towers, or improve my FS pdq.   I keep going up there for a look around and some resource gathering.

2 hours ago, ultracat said:

Sorry TheTrickster. I should have waited. But I can show ya a few more places by the ocean

I appreciate the thought, but it kind of misses the point.  I admit that this caught me at a particularly bad time, and my pre-existing frame of mind has a lot to do with it, but it made me fell like I am wasting my time trying to give the place a nice look, as the outlook can just be taken away while I am offline.

If you want a bit more of a move, there's plenty of space in the South - lots of wide open, so you can make your own ideal spot.

3 hours ago, Pandalet said:

If you want a bit more of a move, there's plenty of space in the South - lots of wide open, so you can make your own ideal spot.

Thanks.  Yes, I have been looking down there too.  For some reason I have to paradoxic attractions when it comes to landscape; waterfronts and mountain tops.  Now, if Wurm had an actual water flow physics and I could have a mountain lake.... 😊  

One problem I am having is the "how".  Like real life, the longer you go the more crap you have.  My first move, I just teleported because everything I owned, I carried.  Second move, it took me a few trips and I left behind some very low QL furniture and containers.   Now, I have several non-carry items that I wouldn't like to leave behind.   I reckon I would be happy to leave most of the furniture for the next person, except one of the large chests, but it's the mass of contents that I would regret abandoning.  Maybe I will build a little off-deed cabin and maintain the "town residence" for a short time as well, although I might see about moving elsewhere in town.

I openly acknowledge that this kind of thing can happen in a village, and it is not illegitimate.  It just finally drove home to me that I am getting "fenced in".

There are some nice spots on the top of Southwind - definitely ticks the mountaintop box, and although it's not really waterfront, the sea view is amazing.  Just need to learn the routes up and down...

For moving, a knarr to get as close as possible, then a wagon and crates.  And then just a case of shuttling backwards and forwards.

I think the O17 mountain is unoccupied atm. The west side is a fairly gentle slope with a deed area up fairly high. Someone terraformed in the past year or so (and I think left) even closer to the peak. The east side has a good deed spot as well on a cliff over water. You could work out a path up to peak as well most likely.

I'm sure someone could help you move stuff if you get a spot figured out. 

We have a small community area set up around J13 with some wide open spaces for you to deed in. You are more than welcome to come and take a look. We are a helpful community and love working on projects together. 

Alternatively, if you find a spot let me know. I have a caraval and a knarr as well as a few wagons I would be more than happy to help get you moved. Also have some slave labor monkeys within our community (oops I mean helpful players) that could help. 

Thanks for the kind offers, folks.  For now, I have an alternative, but I am still thinking about where I should stop longer term.  I do like to travel and explore so I might drop in for a visit anyway.

10 hours ago, LionIX said:

You could work out a path up to peak as well most likely.

Oh, yeah, that would be no problem.  Much of my time in WU has been finding my way to the tops of mountains.

It turns out that the bridge itself is of use to only one player.  Since I first posted about this, the player has locked the gate on the other end of the bridge.  

Sorry Trickster, I understand completely. I was a little shocked to. The lag was bad and is even worse for some reason. I feel also that since the bridge was built affecting other people's spaces like yours especially, it should not have been built. I loved the view from my house too and it has just gotten so  messed up. Ultra goes out of his way for people to experiment and to let everyone do what makes them happy, unfortunately, this time, one person ruined it for others imo. 

Sorry to see you go if it comes to that.

Tria

2 hours ago, Tria said:

Sorry Trickster, I understand completely. I was a little shocked to. The lag was bad and is even worse for some reason. I feel also that since the bridge was built affecting other people's spaces like yours especially, it should not have been built. I loved the view from my house too and it has just gotten so  messed up. Ultra goes out of his way for people to experiment and to let everyone do what makes them happy, unfortunately, this time, one person ruined it for others imo. 

Sorry to see you go if it comes to that.

Tria

Yeah, if you weren't already moving away from the lag, your view would be about the same, instead of looking across the water at Tiki, a bridge - built for and useful to one person; in one of the biggest villages in Wurm.

Utlradude is kind between a rock and a hard place, because he really does go out of his way to try to accommodate every single individual.  While most of us appreciate that and try to reciprocate that community spirit, it is obvious that at least one does not - turning a forest into a bunch of messy stumps, cutting down oak trees in other player's front yards (more stumps) and now a bridge right across the northern waterfront - to save the player 2 turns but essentially zero difference in distance travelled.  A road would have been fine, even if it needed a small bridge across the boat house "marina" area.

I must say I like your choice of new location.  I had second thoughts about the place Ultradude was going to give me, mostly due to issues around inherited-inherited permissions and thought "I know a really nice spot where I could set up a house" so headed over and discovered it was such a nice spot to set up house that you already had!  😃  I really can't afford my own deed, but I have been conducting a thought-experiment regarding a smallish home in town and another smallish no-deed retreat in the woods. Even the constant repair is not a negative, because it will make me grind my skills.

I think part of the worse lag may have something to do with now having TWO large pens with lots of animals (as well as my own smaller contribution to that).  I don't know if all the whales stuck in the bridge add to that.  I understand the monster trophies being displayed, but when did we become a whaling station? 

Should we start hanging out seal hides and unicorn horns, now?  😜

Son of a motherless goat!

In my last session, it dawned on me that the boat I had moored by my little mini-dock on the embayment beside my house has been moved out of the embayment across the strait and moored over on the mainland!  Okay, I am not the owner of the boat, but the owner has given me full use and granted me management permissions.  I didn't  remove anyone else's permissions because I am mindful that it isn't my boat. Still, around here IRL we have a practice of "leave it how you found it".

I was ticked off enough about the boat being moved, not just "down the street" or even down to where a lot of other boats other boats are docked, but off the deed and off the island altogether.  Imagine how the aggravation kicked in when I discovered that I could not navigate the boat around the abutment and the existing build-on terrain across the way to redock .  My whole little dock area is now of no use whatsoever.  To transfer anything of any bulk between ship and shore I will need a wagon or cart, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid.  There is probably no point launching large boats from the town boat house if they are going to be trapped.

Yes, I know that I am banging on about this.  It seems every time I log on, I find another aspect to this that sets me off again.

This from Wurmpedia

...there are some unwritten and self-evident guidelines of politeness and courtesy. For example, it usually is frowned upon if you settle too close to other players’ structures or property without asking. Generally, if you see houses and structures around, try to talk to the locals and make sure it is ok for you to settle. You don’t want to annoy your future neighbours, do you? As a general rule: try to be as polite and considerate as you would be in real life. If you are unsure, always ask.

None of this construction was mentioned at all, even though it is on tiles bordering my yard and has blocked access.  I was not online a lot due to illness and busyness, but still logged in every week or so for a bit of work etc.   Most of my side of town seems empty lately, and it seems several others have already moved off the deed.

My premium runs out in a month or so, and honestly I am wondering if it is worth it.