Sign in to follow this  
Arindor

Village Tabards

I think it would add a really cool dynamic to allow villages to have pseudo-unique tabards.  There could be just a few "canned" two-color designs to minimize graphics/textures on the client, and furthermore these textures would only be loaded when a player with a different tabard came into range.  The selection of design and which two colors (from a standard palette) , could be selected by Mayors through the existing deed windows.  I think it would be much more interesting to see members of a village in their tabards at a Rift than just the boring one-kingdom tabards seen now (which actually make everybody look like a tower guard).  This would add meaning to tabards (on the Freedom servers) where they have no meaning currently.  The PVP servers would either just use kingdom tabards (same as now), or perhaps also use village tabards but perhaps with a more limited color palette to indicate Realm.

Edit:  Some really good feedback here.  So it seems this idea would also require a per-user selection of:

• Show kingdom tabard
  • Show alliance tabard
  • Show village tabard

based on user preference.  Or, perhaps make these separate craftable items.

Edited by Arindor
Feedback
  • Like 2

I would rather just be allowed to wear my historical kingdom's tabard.

• Like 1

+1 The kingdom tabards really do make people look like tower guards. It would be nice if Villages could have their own look. Would also make players more recognizable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

The kingdom tabards really do make people look like tower guards

Well, maybe that's what I am going for.  😉

I must admit, my current armour (given to me by a generous neighbour) is very good as armour, but does make me look like a guard (but unfortunately doesn't fool mobs).  I liked the visuals of my old custom-neon-green studded leather because it both looked good (to me, who counts) and was distinctive.

Actually, basic "clan" colours and icons are available in an awful lot of games.  On the principal of "make your competitors irrelevant" Wurm should have at least that.  Tying to the deed settings seems a particularly good way to manage it.

• Like 1

A lot of villages are single players with alt, and in some cases multiple villages are single players with alts. This basically means custom tabards for players.

I prefer the way it is intended to be right now - to show the player's allegiance to a certain kingdom. I think there is already an inflation of coat of arms designs with the PMK ones.

Think about it this way - there's 1k villages on Xanadu and like 1-2 hundred players online at a time. So there will be more tabard designs than players online. Maybe, on freedom, only allow them for big alliances that have been around for a long time.

Edited by Idlamn

On 5/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, Idlamn said:

A lot of villages are single players with alt, and in some cases multiple villages are single players with alts. This basically means custom tabards for players.

I prefer the way it is intended to be right now - to show the player's allegiance to a certain kingdom. I think there is already an inflation of coat of arms designs with the PMK ones.

Think about it this way - there's 1k villages on Xanadu and like 1-2 hundred players online at a time. So there will be more tabard designs than players online. Maybe, on freedom, only allow them for big alliances that have been around for a long time.

as opposed as a single person making 20 alts and spending 1 gold to make a kingdom very smart intelligent argument...

And the alliances that have 20-30+ villages like our Alliance and Nexia alliance on xanadu should be punished and not allowed to pay 1g and show our own pve kingdom graphics because a large amount of people play as hermits.

How is a mmo intended to be played which direction should the game be moving?

Edited by Wurmfarm

5 hours ago, Wurmfarm said:

as opposed as a single person making 20 alts and spending 1 gold to make a kingdom very smart intelligent argument...

you'll just be wasting a gold on it because there's requirements on adding pmk gear now and you'll get drain disbanded long before you get them

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

this has been a subject of debate for a while now, with multiple voices sounding out cries for this all around. including my own idea

I personally don't see a problem with personal tabards. I think unique heraldry should be a Village perk no matter how big or small the village population. So what if that means there is a ton of new heraldry out there? And I do get the argument for the kingdom tabards but if not the tabards at least let us have Village heraldry for banners and the like for the deeds.

15 hours ago, Wurmfarm said:

And the alliances that have 20-30+ villages like our Alliance and Nexia alliance on xanadu should be punished and not allowed to pay 1g and show our own pve kingdom graphics because a large amount of people play as hermits.

How is a mmo intended to be played which direction should the game be moving?

Are there any cases of PMKs like that? How many?

And you don't need to pay 1g to show your pve kingdom graphics, you just need to make a tabard 😉.

Also I did mentioned that MAYBE have this for big alliances that have been around for a long time. BTW I am in NEXA on Xan and I don't feel that punished at all.

21 minutes ago, Katrat said:

I personally don't see a problem with personal tabards. I think unique heraldry should be a Village perk no matter how big or small the village population. So what if that means there is a ton of new heraldry out there? And I do get the argument for the kingdom tabards but if not the tabards at least let us have Village heraldry for banners and the like for the deeds.

I think it makes them meaningless. It should show the allegiance to something big that people can recognize. I know that people get coats of arms on wagons and such from pmks without actual allegiance to those. But I don't really see them that often, and sometimes it might be their actual kingdom on PvP.

I also understand that on Freedom we do not have kingdoms, so there is only 1 tabard, which again isn't really representative of anything other than being a freedomer (like everybody else). But I find it has more meaning like this than each player with it's own tabard.