Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

How does one safely explore cliffs and mountainsides?

Somebody gave me tips a while ago, but I've forgotten what they were.

Why am I asking this question? Because cliff peaks beckon to me. They beckon to be explored. I don't mind dying once or twice while climbing them, but would prefer not to die 10+ times in a row.

The meat of my question is this: Say I've got my trusty horse with me as I'm climbing from fence post to fence post, armor-less, and a troll comes out of nowhere. The cliff actually has a few of these, but I'm just dying to explore the top of it. Is there no way to survive in such a scenario? Or should I be wearing an armor I do not yet know exists? What would help me survive? Higher skills in 'what'?.... ⛰️

In your situation I would become a Fo priest. Cast oakshell on yourself which is good armour and refresh your stamina with a spell. At 60 faith some creatures become neutral and wont attack you. Good luck!

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharkin said:

In your situation I would become a Fo priest. Cast oakshell on yourself which is good armour and refresh your stamina with a spell. At 60 faith some creatures become neutral and wont attack you. Good luck!

Hey. I am a Fo priest, at 35 faith. Nice tip, thanks.

refresh your stamina with a spell

What spell?

Eating sanwiches are supposed to restore stamina, but I have never tried it.

• Like 1

booze or sandwiches can refill your stamina

climb naked until you find an enemy, then gear up.  keep the inventory open with the armor set selected/highlighted and ready to drag-drop to your character window all at once (shift+click. img below)

sow1bGq.png

just carry the armor, weapon, some cotton, booze and water.  you need to be light weight for these kind of tasks otherwise you will use way too much stamina

Edited by AlmostSolitude2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ayuna said:

Hey. I am a Fo priest, at 35 faith. Nice tip, thanks.

What spell?

The spell is aptly named Refresh.

I like to climb too, and it is very handy for scaling entire mountains (eventually). The downside is that it can be interrupted while in combat. Same with eating or drinking stamina foods. For those occasions I have the Path of Love's Refresh as a backup option. The Love Effect is also handy for avoiding cliff fights altogether, or disengaging when things go south.

A higher skill in climbing would also help. People tell me that Body Stamina has a greater effect, but that takes a lot longer to train up of course. In the meantime, Climbing reduces your stamina drain while climbing by 1% for every 2 levels.

Edited by Hoseph
  • Like 1

You can use tin runes of Jackal for refresh as well

Raising climb skill:

Find a steep cliff underground (dropshaft), climb it until you are out of stamina,fall down, start over again. 

Falling from great heights inside caves causes no damage.

• Like 3

All good suggestions. The trick with booze I've found, is carry 2 measuring jugs, fill one with 2 or 5 kg of wine/booze (depending on how long you're gonna be climbing). the other jug set at 1g (lowest setting). as you're climbing drag the booze into the 1g jug and drink - maybe set a hotkey for drinking. each drink of 1g gives 3 stamina back, so if you're fast enough on the drag and drink, you should be able to steadily climb. if you find you're getting low on stamina, stop and drink until full again.

Also, if you're leading the horse, use the saddle sacks/bags to carry a backpack with your tools, maybe some extra water, picnic basket, etc. Can keep the window open to easily drag stuff into your inventory as you need it

• Like 4