Sign in to follow this  
Katrat

Black Wool from Black Sheep.

I have had several black lambs born in my breeding efforts and was disappointed to find that black sheep do not produce black wool. This makes little sense to me and I was hoping for a fix. I'm sure there will be an argument for black dye making in this but that still will have many uses besides wool products so I don't see the harm in the utilization of black wool. This has probably been mentioned before but as one seems to be labeled a "necromancer" for delving to far back in the suggestions I've opted to simply start a new post.

• Like 2

The biggest issue is the impact it would have on crafting, and recipes, which is why it wasn't done in the past. 

It's a sensible idea, but with being able to dye items black anyways, what would be the main purpose of differentiating the materials? 

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The biggest issue is the impact it would have on crafting, and recipes, which is why it wasn't done in the past. 

It's a sensible idea, but with being able to dye items black anyways, what would be the main purpose of differentiating the materials? 

The main purpose would be to have option to make black wool items without making high ql black dye which us incredibly hard to make... And to reward breeders with that option as animal husbandry is severely lacking in some exciting content.

But yeah, like you said considering hastle with double recepies it's probably not worth it sadly.

• Like 2

Actually now that I think of it, we have some items that are specifically made of some colour by crafting recepies, and while it's a good way of utilizing rare and supreme mats like lumps and woads to get rare clothing logically they don't make sense any more since they can be dyed and should be replaced with white models of that items and removed if they already exist as white model...

For one thing it would make the differentiation in having black sheep as a rarer variety of the common white sheep mean something, especially for breeders.

Another, it would enable the means of having black wool items (and materials) with no dyes involved and no requirement to produce high quality dyes for using sheared wool that matches the visual colour of the animal the wool comes from.  I don't think there'd be any complaints from players if in their bins there'd be a seperate 'wool, black' line instead of just white 'wool' (or 'wool, white') in the future.  The ability to customize from a variety of choices generally is a good thing in crafting games such as Wurm Online, and it'd work the same way that sheep's milk comes from sheep and not just generic 'milk'.

'Wogic' is not a complement with reference to shearing white wool from a black sheep.

I think it's a great suggestion and one I'd been pondering all along since the introduction of a black variety of sheep myself.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

It would indeed make black sheep and their breeding much more desirable. And I certainly would have no objections to having a second wool listing in my bins. It would indeed also ease the frustrations of newer players who want black clothing but haven't the skills needed to make high ql black dye. I don't know to many players that are happy with gray clothes.

Edited by Katrat

20 hours ago, Retrograde said:

A common sense outcome.

What differentiates black sheep from white?  The colour of their skin and wool, i.e. when you look at them the wool is black.  The fact that the obviously black wool becomes white when removed is jarring.

The other issue that while it may be possible to create black dye, it is not easy.  In fact, I think Wurmpedia declares black to be the hardest dye to make.  Easier, and much more logical, to shear a black sheep for black wool and use that for black fabrics than to shear a black sheep for white wool, create white fabrics and then make black (or greyish) dye, then dye the fabric items to match the colour of the beast the wool came from.

If there are to be differentiated sheep but undifferentiated wool, maybe they should be black-faced sheep.

A lot of wooden items have finished models that reflect the colour of the wood used.  Metal items have separate recipes for the different metals that can be used, and the models are coloured to reflect the colour of the metal used.  Wool items can already be dyed to reflect different colours, so really this would just be a matter of treating the wool, and anything made from it, as already coloured black.

• Like 1