Sign in to follow this  
Shmeric

Un-walled house tile

Please let us have house tiles on ground floor without any walls or posts/columns/poles.

In other words, let us remove the outer wall plan when tile has been added to the building.

So that in the picture below, the two tiles would actually be part of the building.

lV9SpBI.jpg

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, what benefit would this have over using paving? Just the raised height? 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Out of curiosity, what benefit would this have over using paving? Just the raised height? 

Enforcing the house permissions to items placed there and allowing the building of wide stairs as a ramp to the second floor without having to surround them with walls.

Edited by Chromega
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Chromega said:

Enforcing the house permissions to items placed there and allowing the building of wide stairs as a ramp to the second floor without having to surround them with walls.

good reason, i wasnt for this until these points were brought up. +1

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

For one, permissions.

There are rather many open communities / recruiting villages around, and sometimes you just want to show off that fantastic garden gnome in your back yard, but do not feel very comfortable to leave it on deed permissions.

But also open doorways/entrances higher than just the ground floor. Let's take those huge cathedrals for example, right now you probably opt for an U shape building with bridges as ceiling. However, this means the center of the cathedral is actually not inside the building at all. Or ship factories, kind of same deal.

I like this idea, I'd use it for the raised height of the floor tiles.

This would be awesome, had to redesign a building recently when i realised knocking down a ground level outer wall results in the ugly build plan wooden beam displaying so had to put in arch where i really wanted nothing.

Supports left and right to allow high arches on second or higher floors would be a wonderful further addition.

If this were implemented, and the unbuilt walls still counted towards carpentry/masonary costs, I can see no harm here.  Indeed, it might open up a bit more creativity for builders.

I wasn't so bothered about the permission, applying real world principles of securing stuff either behind fencing or putting in side a locked building, but I can see why others would want it.

On the other hand, I still have my dream of building a Queenslander, and the stairs are a problem that this would solve.  To me, this is the quintessential rural building (with a big shed just outside the house yard) but the external stairs are a problem I have not been able to resolve with current abilities.

I can get the building on stumps okay by not building a floor on the ground level and having T-arches and stuff underneath.  It's tall but passable.  I can build the wraparound verandah using a similar technique, and a square plan with a 4 way hip is not uncommon IRL (although roofing material is a compromise, both clay tile and thatch are mismatches but passable).  However, I can't do the staircase, which is external, without walling it in with something, which pretty much destroys the whole look.

External stairs as a whole are not workable in Wurm - or rather, I have not been able to work them out - although they have been common in the real world for a very long time.  

Maybe, allow corner posts instead of needing arches or walls.  It's a compromise, but might be a reasonable one.