Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

How does your garden grow?

Anyone else started a garden this year?

This is my first year at it. I have stuff all over our front deck, some 4-foot circle gardens dug into the lawn and some beds along a retaining wall. Chipmunks raided my deck collection and ate the heads off most of the sunflowers (so i planted more). In addition to all the herbs tomatoes peppers flowers etc I started from seeds in various cups and containers, I made cuttings from around the yard of the house we just moved into this past winter. Turns out the yard is full of wild roses, wild strawberries, wild grapes, wild blackberries so I have been trying my hand at cloning/propagating a bunch more of those all over. Plus some apple tree cuttings. I want blueberries next.

Zone 6a so a late start due to spring snows and frosts that continued into early may, so i am behind most gardeners i think.

I get so jealous at the pictures I see from California and Florida -- up until I remember the sweet cool breezes we get up here in the hills that make every day feel lush and cool.

VjeK3us.jpg FmR4SIE.jpg

Nu6IzzC.jpg

(too small to see, but surrounding the ###### willows in the middle of the 4-foot radius are parsley cilantro rosemary thyme chamomile basil peppermint sage calendula and more)

* kitty cat willows ^_^

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4
  • Cat 1

I have one measly succulent though I think I killed it >.> I need new plants

Going into winter here, so shutting down a bit, and we are currently hamstrung by watering restrictions due to ongoing drought, so no more watering the garden, and therefor no planting new stuff for the coming seasons.

That said, as shops re open after 6 weeks shut down, nation wide,  there has been  mad rush of people to the garden centres, and many new gardens are likely underway).

Your Garden looks nice, gardening is a great way to use your time, if a bit roller coasty, as Mother Nature will sometimes frustrate, and sometimes reward you way beyond your expectations :)

The chipmunk war just escalated.  Up till now it was fun and games. He has been back numerous times, occasionally biting off the head of a Lemon basil seedling or digging through a couple of planters looking for sunflower seeds. The damage though was relatively minor so I laughed it off and replanted whatever he messed up. He is just so cute when he zooms across the deck looking excited at all the "treasures"! He looks like he just discovered Candy Mountain and can hardly decide what to visit next.

But now it is WAR.

Yesterday I  repotted  my strawberry plants to larger growbags as they were outgrowing the current ones. He apparently assumed I was burying more seeds (why else would I be adding dirt to bags and patting it down?) so he snuck back  and YANKED out the entire strawberry plant (which is bigger than him),  threw it on the porch, and dug out the entire bag to see what I had been hiding down there. Dirt everywhere. Then he knocked over about a dozen containers and dug through a half dozen others looking for goodies. It looked like a toddler who just discovered mud puddles. He can't really get into the hanging birdfeeder but he somehow managed to knock it about spewing seeds all over the deck. 

For now I have chopped up a "relish" of jalepenos, onions and garlic and spooned some of that around the pots, sprinkled ground blackpepper liberally everywhere, and made dual spray bottles of vinegar / pepper-garlic soup and sprayed  around the entrance ways to the desk and various places around the plants.    My deck now smells like a chicago style hotdog with extra kraut/ extra peppers.  I am told by various internet sources, if I go out and pee on the deck, that might be seen as territorial markings and scare him off. I am almost considering it.

First I am going to try the rubber snakes.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1