Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Prayer - Giving it a real use

Prayer as it stands is a stub skill.

It offers small random rewards, most of which are either entirely useless or just not worth the effort.  It is essentially just the priest equivelent of playing slots.  It's also a skill priests are forced to grind up to 70 if they want a useful bonus.  For followers, it is like playing a very bad slot machine and there is 0 incentive to ever level it up.

But, what if prayer could be useful to both followers and priests in PvE?  Read on below!

Each altar has a "pool" of favour attached to it.  Alter type and quality dictate the cap (QL*Type Score; with Wood=5, Stone=7, Silver=10, Gold=12).

Praying at that altar fills the pool; 1 point per 20 prayer for non-priests, 1 point per 10 prayer for priests.

Priests can link to altars of their god after 50 channeling, and use this favour (at a conversion rate of (11-(prayer+channeling/20)):1 altar favour to priest favour)

Spell-Gems (Creatable anywhere, but only usable on PvE)

Created by using a gem on an altar.

To create a gem...

1.  The user has at least 30 faith, and worships that god
2.  The altar must have 3x (2x for priests) the favour cost of the spell stored.
3.  The quality of the gem must be greater than the faith required to unlock the spell (so a QL70+ gem would be needed to make a genesis gem).  This requirement is halved for priests (so a QL35+ gem would be needed to make a genesis gem).

A prayer check is made against the channeling difficulty of the spell, and if successful the gem is created, if failed some faith is drained from the altar.

The gem is activated like the statuette, and the cast target is chosen in the same way.  Spells from these gems are cast at (Gem QL + User Channeling)/2 channeling.  This does grant a channeling tick based on the used channeling.

To priests, this would allow us to sell spells via praying for gems, and then filling them in, making prayer useful.  For followers, this offers a way to access magic at a high material and effort price.

• Like 5

+1 to change the prayer to be usefull, not like walking faster for 2 sec if not usefull but also because praying up to 70 skill is just stupid. Is that normal everyone go make the quest on epic? Now its the only quest remaining and its look like im stuck there... getting 0,05 skill each days for probably 3 more years...

Until there is a less-AFK method of walking up to an altar, filling your action queue with prayers and coming back 3-4 minutes later, I don't like it.  I also oppose followers gaining the ability to cast spells via gems or any other medium.

I think prayer is kinda nice as it is. It does do a few things.

1 Fills up your gods faith towards a global spell.

2 I used for the Benediction goal.

Could use some improvements making it a bit more fun but it's not bad in it's current state tbh. And I have done some praying.

[16:00:46] Prayer increased by 0,0010 to 77,4977

3 hours ago, Sn00 said:

1 Fills up your gods faith towards a global spell.

Only on faith gain now, so overall not nearly as useful as it used to be.

I think prayer just needs a better reward and higher favour regen per few dozen prays.

Maybe pray spam if going for gems.

Then change skilling on pray to be same as meditation but with prayer timer. And adjust so it’s reasonable to get optimal skilling by using appropriately imped altars. Maybe about same or a little faster skilling rate than med?

That’d make skilling on Freedom reasonable long-term and less awful to do. It’d add more incentive to charge rite pool as well. 

• Like 1