Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

What's your preferred GUI setup?

One of my pet peeves with Wurm is its - to my mind - poor integration of the main graphic view and the various windows, bars and other elements.  I am using a laptop with a small-ish screen (i.e. standard, not some 42" 16:9 setup), so real estate is always an issue for me and I am not blaming Wurm on that score.  However, I generally find that I am only really using the main view for movement and not much else, and when performing actions I tend to fill up the screen with windows and work pretty much exclusively in the windows.  The sometimes exception to that is when I am imping to grind skills - I like to lay out several objects on a table or the shelf of a lit forge for easier flow and less right-clicking (because I am usually using a touchpad).  My screen is multi-touch but I just never use that in-game for some reason.

What do you do?  What is your preferred layout? Why?

I have pretty much left everything in its default position with the exception of squeezing toolbelt and quickbar side-by-side.  I usually chuck the "container" of any vehicle I am using over to the left so it mirrors my personal inventory but other than that leave stuff were it is and simply close windows when not in use.  Inventory, chat, and event windows are permanently open.  In other words, a basic noob layout with not real optimization.

Part of my asking this is also with a view to what improves the player experience over time - or at least stops aggravations mounting - and I this is I think a relevant area for that.  I wonder if whole of screen "loadouts" would be worth suggesting, where you can load pre-configured screens depending on what you are doing, and save your preferred layouts for key-bound reloading later.   Sort of like the toolbelt but for the whole interface.

Edited by TheTrickster
<sigh> fixing typos

Py3tDCz.jpg

Keep in mind half of this isn't open all the time. just my preferred locations; don't know how people can stand having things randomly thrown about in the top left corner haha

With crafting window(normally i line up crates and stuff around cw)
ELb5l03.jpg

And how it generally looks or how it has looked for the last 6 weeks anyway(yes the wagon window is off but thats because default wagon window size and if i put it down i cant reach the tile corner without looking down)
rsjVqQi.jpg

very similar to the prev ones.. I like having the skilltracker up to know exactly my favor.

2LJJv9C

Thanks for these.  In some ways they're not much different to the default.  I do like the compass down on the bottom.