Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 096 The Skies, The Limit!

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

KatspurrKatspurr has taken on a short term Art Developer role in which she will be handling various duties from new loading screens, those beautiful shots on the Wurm Steam page, and more!

New rift mob models maybe? :) Of course with new sounds ...

Very good news all and I'm positive that all the team changes are leading into the good direction. Grats everyone - and thanks Idunn - no rest for you I can create endless work for GMs...

I hope my 1050Ti Nvidia will be able to handle the volumetric lighting...

• Like 3

The volumetric effects look great and the night sky is top notch!  I doubt I will go mad looking for constellations but I likely will fast because that is what happens when Gaffer gets distracted.

If possible it would be ideal to get the moons revolving in the same sense as Sol and the stars (as they did before the modern client release) too.  

• Like 1

Man... that volumetric lighting makes such a huge difference! Absolutely stunning! I love the sense of depth, and how it now makes the distant trees feel a little more natural. I literally cannot wait to play the game with this lighting! Also really happy to see the fix for the flickering distant areas!

And thank you friends <3. I truly hope that my contributions will help making the steam launch a success. And a huge congrats to Darklords, Astarte and Willow as well! 

• Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 1:08 AM, Retrograde said:

(I hope Gaffer doesn't go mad trying to find constellations)

Just think how great it would be to have a pantheon of constellations :)

I know there are/were things blocking some of the previous graphical improvements into the macOS client. Is there any news on which, if any, of this latest round will be coming to the macOS client?

On 5/18/2020 at 2:08 AM, Retrograde said:

New Skies Ahead

😮 That looks breathtaking!!  I can't wait!! 

Grats everyone!

I gotta say, this whole post is just Amazing! The new lighting is spectacular, nice work! And really, really pleased to see the additions and promotions to the staff :) Astarte was my first GM encounter, scared the living sh.. um, daylights outta me, lol, and have loved every interaction with her since then :) Katspurr/Malena - love your work and your streams, glad to see you officially on the team :) Willow, Darklord, don't know you but have seen you around, thanks for stepping up and helping out, greatly appreciated, and good to see Idony is staying in the game :)

Thank you devs! Keep up the great work

• Like 2

Awesome!!! Yes the moons are incredible - and  I can't wait for the sunlight rays :D ;D

This volumetric light update is absolutely incredible. I'm so excited, it's exactly what I was thinking was missing from wurm, every time I looked at the sunset or sunrise and it was kinda just a white ball like always. Do we get red light when sun is close to horizon?

Can we get the option to turn of god rays as well please? I know it makes it look pretty for screenshots and for a few minutes to an hour or 2 it might be nice but if you play a game for hours and get hit with god rays at all times it starts to get really annoying(look at the big argument in skyrim modding of "god rays or no god rays" and the thousands of people and tens of thousands of comments in support and against)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Can we get the option to turn of god rays as well please? I know it makes it look pretty for screenshots and for a few minutes to an hour or 2 it might be nice but if you play a game for hours and get hit with god rays at all times it starts to get really annoying(look at the big argument in skyrim modding of "god rays or no god rays" and the thousands of people and tens of thousands of comments in support and against)

You can try em out on the test server, they're overall not annoying.

But there's already a setting there to turn em on/off.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, Timoca said:

You can try em out on the test server, they're overall not annoying.

But there's already a setting there to turn em on/off.

Could you please point me to where to find that? I'd love to take a look too.
I downloaded the test client a while ago, but it does not seem to have the god rays or any significant new changes at all :( 

4 minutes ago, Cayce said:

Could you please point me to where to find that? I'd love to take a look too.
I downloaded the test client a while ago, but it does not seem to have the god rays or any significant new changes at all :( 

Cayce the god rays only show during sunrise and sunset. So wait for that time of day :). I was just on test server a couple of hours ago and shared some screenshots here: 

PS: The setting to turn them on is on the "Post process" tab in settings: "Volumetric Fog"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malena said:

Cayce the god rays only show during sunrise and sunset. So wait for that time of day :). I was just on test server a couple of hours ago and shared some screenshots here: 

Looks like I was just online to the wrong times then. Thank you very much! I'll check it out :) 

• Like 1

Logged into test server and loving the day to night transitions.  So many new colors in the sky.  Wondering if the stars will have any meaning for a new cartography skill or something...in the future.  As long as clouds still blow and water still moves the direction of the wind.

The sky looks so damn good now it makes the far away trees look more fake.  lol

When is new interface coming to test server?  Was hoping to play with that too.

Just popped onto test to look around. Midnight starts are amazing - the sky and therefore the landscape is quite bright even in the middle of the night, I suppose it will be tweaked back for the final version. Maybe because the moons are very bright?

Just an idea, maybe a the celestial bodies would be more feeling like part of the sky if they would have a slight halo around?

Found a funny effect on the sand, water shows up with the waves of the water on it:

• Like 1

The water has always shown up like that as the effect is played on the water level for the record. 

Also, bear in mind you likely have the newbie light buff too! 

Bit of an odd one to ask, but sometimes I do only have a netbook when travelling for work.

How much does the new gui hit performance of older/less powerful machines (think "wurm on a netpotato" experience)?

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The water has always shown up like that as the effect is played on the water level for the record. 

Also, bear in mind you likely have the newbie light buff too! 

So the same effect why we have water inside the ships then.

Yeah newbie buff counts for the leaves being lighted from below - but not the overall light sky at midnight I guess. Also I'm aware it is in test phase and likely all the effects are scaled up for easier checks.

The volumetric fog is real strong yet (same reason I suppose) and the light beams are not supressed by the landmass of a mountain yet.

I'm really excited how it will look like when ready - good news that my fears of super low fps caused by volumetric light does not seem to happen.

16 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Bit of an odd one to ask, but sometimes I do only have a netbook when travelling for work.

How much does the new gui hit performance of older/less powerful machines (think "wurm on a netpotato" experience)?

The new UI is significantly faster than the old one on my machine, it should generally be the case for everyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samool said:

The new UI is significantly faster than the old one on my machine, it should generally be the case for everyone.

heh ! then cool !

4 hours ago, Samool said:

While that is good to hear, I don't suppose there has been any progress on getting the macOS client to use something better than legacy OpenGL 2.1 so we can see wurm in its true beauty?

7 hours ago, Samool said:

If it's up on the test server, and can be switched with the old one, I can do a compare using a gpd pocket 2.

4 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

While that is good to hear, I don't suppose there has been any progress on getting the macOS client to use something better than legacy OpenGL 2.1 so we can see wurm in its true beauty?

That still waits on the UI, as that was the only major remaining thing in our codebase that was requiring the OpenGL compatibility profile - once that's out, I'll revisit the issue and see if we can finally bump that version up for macOS.

The UI will be available for testing pretty soon.

• Like 4