Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 096 The Skies, The Limit!

please sent me a check with 50 cents on it written to my name that says art director for vehemently suggesting changing the skybox as the art update that was needed the most

i will frame it and put it on my wall

Edited by Johnston3

On 5/17/2020 at 5:08 PM, Retrograde said:

More UI Teases
That's right! I'm here with more UI teases! This edition focuses on the new tooltips when you mouseover an item. As you do, you'll see it's material, item type, and enchants! Pressing alt while mousing over will display more detailed information.

UI.png

uiALT.png

I think this is well formatted, and visually pleasing, but absolutely unnecessary and just adding clutter to the inventory screen. It's probably super useful for objects in the world, but in the inventory it's redundant. Right in the teaser you can see the stats in the box already visible directly above it. Only the enchants are useful information there since they normally require an examine and looking at a separate window to see. The base mouseover should just be a simple one line box like it is now, but showing enchants, and all the extra info can be in the alt-press detailed box(maybe add an option to which one you want as a default as well). Also add item signatures to the detailed box.

39 minutes ago, Kabill said:

I think this is well formatted, and visually pleasing, but absolutely unnecessary and just adding clutter to the inventory screen. It's probably super useful for objects in the world, but in the inventory it's redundant. Right in the teaser you can see the stats in the box already visible directly above it. Only the enchants are useful information there since they normally require an examine and looking at a separate window to see. The base mouseover should just be a simple one line box like it is now, but showing enchants, and all the extra info can be in the alt-press detailed box(maybe add an option to which one you want as a default as well). Also add item signatures to the detailed box.

I mostly agree but wanting to get rid of useless info from the detail box yet wanting the sig to be there is weird lol

Hoping it's customisable when it launches so the idea of the new UI being flexible is true

18 minutes ago, Madnath said:

I mostly agree but wanting to get rid of useless info from the detail box yet wanting the sig to be there is weird lol

The detail box, as in the second one you hold ALT to see additional info, where I think more information makes sense. Currently it just expands acronyms and says what the spell does. I personally don't care about item signatures, but I know there are many in Wurm who do, and including more of the examine-only information would make the box useful.

1 hour ago, Kabill said:

The detail box, as in the second one you hold ALT to see additional info, where I think more information makes sense. Currently it just expands acronyms and says what the spell does. I personally don't care about item signatures, but I know there are many in Wurm who do, and including more of the examine-only information would make the box useful.

Ahhhh now I follow. I totally agree then, though I still hope more than anything that it'll all be customisable

Edited by Madnath

8 hours ago, Kabill said:

In general the UI tweaks are looking quite nice but aren't addressing the key issues of the Wurm UI. I agree with you some of those things are just making things even more complicated instead of fixing things.

What the main problem with the UI is that there are too many windows, too much text, too much information.

Scientists call this phenom "Featuritis".

AoItWDGCIAApDrG?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

In general the UI tweaks are looking quite nice but aren't addressing the key issues of the Wurm UI. I agree with you some of those things are just making things even more complicated instead of fixing things.

What the main problem with the UI is that there are too many windows, too much text, too much information.

Scientists call this phenom "Featuritis".

AoItWDGCIAApDrG?format=jpg&name=small

This post and graph is nothing related to anything to do with a UI, and I believe you used this before to complain about what you felt was feature creep. 

You want the UI to be intuitive and in most games noninvasive. One of the issues that wurm faces is you NEED these windows open, which is nothing to do with your graph. 

The argument would be to reduce the number of windows needed, and that is UX, not UI. That comes from things such as:

• Dragging items from a window into an in-world container without needing the container window open - window eliminated
  • Interacting and dragging objects in-world - Window Eliminated
  • Place - Removed keypresses/interactions 
  • Default actions - Less working out keybinds
  • more information on simple mouseover - eliminates clicking and examining
  • Dig to pile - less inventory actions
  • Harvesting from horseback - Less interactions with horse
  • Dredge into boat - less inventory actions

UX is ongoing, and there's been a lot of work on it over the past year or two. UI is only part of what makes wurm feel clunky, and we are working on addressing that as we have in the past, and will in the future. 

• Like 3

I am rather new to this game (only been playing 2-3 months now) and I have to say I am very impressed with the level of GM and staff continued relationship, interaction and growth of the game. I have seen and played other games (sandboxes specifically) that the GM relationship to the games stagnated, leading to stagnated games. The length of time this game has been running and the continued support, updates, activity and interaction is awesome. I am very thankful and impressed to have found Wurm. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 5

Edited by WittleBunnBun
Internet made two posts when editing

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

The argument would be to reduce the number of windows needed, and that is UX, not UI.

This is not correct. UX is the user’s experience of the product, UI is the user interaction points (HCI) of the display element offered within the application. Windows are objects/elements of the UI as Sklo was saying. 

As to saying less windows will fix all UI problems, don’t agree with this. A complex UI can offer poor UX, but there are studies that show that complex UI’s with good aesthetics can give have a positive UX. There are studies published on ACM digital libraries, IEEE, and even ReasearchGate about this and other topics relating to UX and UI. 

I agree UX is an ongoing and massive beast for WO, but UI is absolutely not the only factor involved with it. It can improve it, but there are other things, such as price, service availability, and product localization to just name a few that have an impact on UX. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

This post and graph is nothing related to anything to do with a UI, and I believe you used this before to complain about what you felt was feature creep. 

First I would like to admit that I want to educate / point out and NOT to complain.

As @WittleBunnBun already stated is that featuritis is directly connected to the UI, you can have 1 000 000 features in a software program if you have a UI which provides a good User eXperience then it is not featuritis because you can actually access and use all million features in a good and pleasing way. When you have a UI which provides a not so good UX because 90% of the time you have to search through tons of windows then you could see some thing as featuritis.

Some examples for featuritis directly related from the UI:

featurecreep.jpg?w=500

e355938d6f57a64ffb27f35ea35afb59--busine

e3zJYd4.jpg

(Picture showing only client side windows, nothing really what you could consider server side)

Fix the featuritis to fix a lot problems of UX in Wurm that is the way to go, trust me I know what I am speaking about. It is the stuff I am considered to be good in.

Edited by Sklo:D

Those screenshots look really nice! 

BUT... When I run the game, having most settings on max, lighting in this game looks really strange. The shadows are in the wrong places and moves around, especially around the edges, when I move, sun rays are lighting up ground or trees  seemingly at random and they move around as well when I walk, even if I'm looking at the same exact spot in the world.  Is this the same for everyone or something with my setup?  I have tried two different graphics cards, current one is a Gefore GTX 1060, the previous one was older but rendered the game pretty much exactly the same but slower...

7 hours ago, WittleBunnBun said:

This is not correct. UX is the user’s experience of the product, UI is the user interaction points (HCI) of the display element offered within the application. Windows are objects/elements of the UI as Sklo was saying. 

As to saying less windows will fix all UI problems, don’t agree with this. A complex UI can offer poor UX, but there are studies that show that complex UI’s with good aesthetics can give have a positive UX. There are studies published on ACM digital libraries, IEEE, and even ReasearchGate about this and other topics relating to UX and UI. 

I agree UX is an ongoing and massive beast for WO, but UI is absolutely not the only factor involved with it. It can improve it, but there are other things, such as price, service availability, and product localization to just name a few that have an impact on UX. 

Absolutely, and while I am generalising the whole UI/UX thing, it's pointing out that many feel the graphical elements are the sole part of UI. 

Ultimately reducing the amount of windows on the screen is a benefit, providing more in-world information and less gamespace occupied by windows and more by the game. Clunkiness comes from having to operate with so many windows in order to play rather than in-world information. Try removing your event window and seeing how well you can play without the text feedback! 

UI + UX combined correctly is termed "game feel" or how the user is properly not inhibited from the game itself due to improper UI that doesn't interact with the game world or displaying unessential/unneeded information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_feel

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

While the  night sky is very pretty indeed, in general I don't really notice much other improvement overall. My pc is pretty decent/high end and all settings are max. First log in after the update everything was frankly horrible with glaring light and fog that just ruined the view all around, I had to turn off the volumetric fog to get back to being able to see where I was going. After that, at first there was a haze or film over everything, that seems to have improved along the way (with no change in my settings) but it remains over everything in the distance, a sad change.

I had hoped as an update this might make it possible to clearly see the colors on unicorns again, but no luck, they still basically all look normal white with an almost invisible tint if you are lucky (saying the colors can be subtle is an extreme understatement). This has been an issue since the ambient occlusion came in that originally messed up a lot of dyed objects. 

Thanks for your efforts guys but yes, this needs a good deal more tweaking.

Are different servers supposed to have different colour skies?

I've noticed an overwhelmingly orange glow for a few days on Exodus, but other servers I've visited have been blue?

(Indy vs Exo) https://prnt.sc/ss8oc9

19 minutes ago, Drathania said:

I've noticed an overwhelmingly orange glow for a few days on Exodus, but other servers I've visited have been blue?

The same in-game time?

20 minutes ago, Drathania said:

Check global casts, they can and will modify the sky colour.

• Like 2

My biggest issue with this update by far?

This dam fog it is just always there the green and more yellow then orange skies sure they just look weird and stuff but this fog its always there it makes me not see certain places anymore like i used to(i enjoyed joking about being able to see certain people doing their thing from my mountain)
But most annoying is the moons and sun are kinda just cut off in a straight line because of the fog and it just makes it look wacky and worse then it did before and truthfully i like my far view a lot more then some kind of silly fog that just sits there making distance more blurry and impossible to see :(

Y5LDts6.jpg
2J9ajZD.jpgY5pjVRQ.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

My biggest issue with this update by far?

This dam fog it is just always there the green and more yellow then orange skies sure they just look weird and stuff but this fog its always there it makes me not see certain places anymore like i used to(i enjoyed joking about being able to see certain people doing their thing from my mountain)
But most annoying is the moons and sun are kinda just cut off in a straight line because of the fog and it just makes it look wacky and worse then it did before and truthfully i like my far view a lot more then some kind of silly fog that just sits there making distance more blurry and impossible to see :(

I agree with you about the cut off sun/moons, though I think it might be a bug that will get fixed later.

On the topic of the fog in the distance, personally I really like it. It adds a lot of realism to the environment and really adds to the immersion. Before this update, distant terrain never looked real as it was way to crisp and clear. Distant things should look blurry and a bit foggy as there is a lot more atmosphere between you and it.

u9_PoNd-3972xwUKBE4ttQDCbnqazKby-pB1tHHE

dddfa56cfd1880d7f35b8bcc4adb5457.jpg

• Like 2

My gripe is the rays not being occluded by rock. Here I am underground and can barely see a thing because the sun is shining into my eyes... what? I turn to look at it and there is this massive amount of light rays blinding me ... yet I am in a cave.

This not only ruins immersion but makes it near impossible to use 'night vision' to navigate underground.

• Like 2

A quick loot menu akin to Fallout 4 would do wonders for Wurm. Imagine mousing over a chest and having its contents automatically displayed in a small window, where you could then scroll trough the items with your mouse wheel and take the highlighted items by pressing a button. 

Or have the option to open containers as you mouse over them with a press of a button. 

Edited by atazs