Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

UNREAL ENGINE 5

What're your thoughts?

WURM 2.0 dreams? ^^

It is gorgeous. Looking forward to games using the engine. Wonder what the system specs would be to run it in all it's glory.

Didn't see anything about terraforming or changing the world in the demo. Not sure it could do what Wurm does.

• Like 1

It felt a bit over sharpened, the character rending wasnt great, and the water effects were meh.

All that being said MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. Always loved the Unreal engine. The quake engine series wasn't too bad either.

• Like 2

When paused it was most effective.  When in motion there was a fair bit of "uncanny valley" with the scree disappearing as it rolled.  The same thing with disturbed water.  The character motion was clearly unrealistic, but that is common and I think somewhat intentional.

Apart from that, hugely impressive.  I wonder if it is anything that would run so beautifully and smoothly on a consumer device.

Edited by TheTrickster

The rocky areas look great, there are parts where i could be fooled to think it was filmed real footage (or photos). I like the various aspects they demonstrated with the lighting.

The water wasn't the strong point..

It bothered me a bit how they they try to make everything else look super realistic but then use a cartoonish character (look at her face) 😛

P.S. why is everything around that place collapsing..? She flies by and literally the statue decided to start falling toward her in that exact moment.. then later on a tower and more rocks.. :D yea i get it.. probably for demonstration purposes.

Edited by MashHiven

On 5/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, Nicrolis said:

It felt a bit over sharpened, the character rending wasnt great, and the water effects were meh.

All that being said MY GOD THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. Always loved the Unreal engine. The quake engine series wasn't too bad either.

That actually comes down to youtube's compression  for sharpening and such things yt doesnt do well with complex lighting be it dark or bright it gets screwed up

Also i posted about this before when the vid first came out but i just love the new stuff they are adding for 5

On 5/14/2020 at 8:34 AM, Fineal said:

It is gorgeous. Looking forward to games using the engine. Wonder what the system specs would be to run it in all it's glory.

Didn't see anything about terraforming or changing the world in the demo. Not sure it could do what Wurm does.

Spec wise that was rendered on a machine similar in performance(supposedly) to the ps5
As for terraforming or changing the world why would they showcase that in a major update that is focused on brand new ai and rendering? ue has had the ability for any number of different types of shaping terrain capability with ease there are dozens of prebuild voxel terrain or block terrain or pseudo 3d(like wurm) terrain scripts out there for the world generator that accompany either semi static prefabs with creator designed prerequisites(games like diablo 3 and poe's tile sets) to full blown procedural generation to static worlds designed by hand that can be shaped in anyway
Those capabilities have been part of the engine for a long time so why would they need to tease them? ;)

On that note making a clone of wurm that functions similar enough logic wise to wurm does currently with its feature set of terraforming and skilling isnt a monumental task either the world gen is easy(a tile system isnt that hard) the building and crafting isnt that hard either neither is skills and their gains its just the quirks that wurm has that we all know and love that would be hard but all in all it would just be a time investment to make something like wurm in ue nothing that would require ground breaking tech like that demo showed just your run of the mill stuff
There are 8 bundles you can buy in the ue shop that would give you 70-80% of the core logic of what wurm has with you needing to only go in and change value's to adjust the gains and speed of progression and adjust the tile system a bit and you can have your wurm as of a few years ago now granted making it a game worth playing will require months of extra work but getting a wurm like game into a early dev stage of feature rich but still loads of work left pre alpha stage isnt to hard if you got the money to buy those bundles so that you dont have to start from scratch

• Like 1