Sign in to follow this  
eldarian

Huge Community Event/ Project The great pyramids!

The Xanadu version of the Wonders of the World!

As a community, wurm players have come together many times in the past and still now. We have built highways systems and great deeds and cities as groups and friends. We have slain unique creatures and leveled or raised mountains. I think its time we come together again on Xanadu and build a historical site that will be remember for years and seen by future generations of what we can accomplish as a community together.

The first project that we had in mind was to recreate the pyramids of Egypt in our own view and style. It will be a massive undertaking and the location for this is still being decided. I believe we can do it!

Please as a community let me hear your opinions. Do you want to be apart of something extraordinary and say I helped create that. Or would you rather burn out and not leave something for future Wurmians. I challenge you to something great.

Please leave your commits and replies here if you are or not interested in being apart of this! 

Project Task List:

Find location

Connect highway

Build a Inn lots of beds for bonus's (mailbox needed here) 

Terraform the great pryramids/ wurm tombs( name is undecided)

Get priests to location for summoning players

Acquire ton of sand/dirt

More to Come!

Edited by eldarian
  • Like 7

I'm in!  Gimme a location to start and I'll map it out and start the terraforming!  Let's make it a memorial.

• Like 1

Definitely  will be in on this, now just the fun job of finding a start location

• Like 1

If you provide stone, I will cut bricks on a 1:1 ratio :) 

• Like 1

12 or 13 bsb's full of shards I will happily donate for the cause :)

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun project. I will follow the idea, and possibly join.

Guess a location not too far from clay would be a good idea

• Like 1

Is there any preference regarding the seclusion of this location? Should this be somewhere remote, to give the atmosphere of ruins? I envision sandy dunes, and a foundation of sandstone. 

think the talk is a preference of a large enough area to build and if possible low enough to create a 'river' towards it, but still throwing idea's around and looking into locations.

the image in mind is 3 pyramids among sandy dunes and a river like the nile river but whatever name we want for wurms history...needs to be accessible not blocked in by crazy terrain....we are looking to scout K/L 21/22 but other suggestions would be welcome. we will also be putting up obelisks and colossus to represent pharaohs, and any other ideas anyone can think of. 

Right now it is an idea, that we can make a reality. and its one of many great projects we can do as a community, Xanadu is massive

Edited by eldarian

How exactly are you planning to build piramids, carve them out of stone with surface mining?

It can possibly ruin landscape for others and bring unrepairable damage to the world...

Edited by kochinac

Sounds more like tons of dirt is needed then bricks ....

But cool idea .. 

Here is a screenshot I took at Linton:

Linton-3.png

It is made of dirt, but something like this could be raised with concrete and mined into to create the "tomb" chambers.

The inner core could be covered with dirt and paved. Once hollow and reinforced, that structure cannot easily be taken down.

I was able to find an old screenshot of another interesting geo-formation somewhere on Xanadu:

slanted-pyramid.png

Edited by Meldichoir
  • Like 3

But but we are Dwarves!!! No seriously not sure what Pyramids have to do with Xanadu or any of the history or Pantheon of WURM.  I would rather see the community focus on fixing roads and adding more guard towers, maybe get some Inns built here and there along roads as safe spots for players that get heritage protection. Maybe focus on fixing some super bad terra-formed area, tearing up roads to nowhere, something like that would make sense. Maybe projects that will help or involve new players?

• Like 2

well this is more of a historical landmark we are wanting to a create, the idea was thrown out and we kind of just ran with it. a lot of planning is still needed and it wouldn't ruin the land for anyone, the idea is to build something that wont disappear in a year because no one is there to maintain it...sure we can get on roads and such, but that's something we have been doing for years, this is something new and different...creating landmarks across the server for players to come  and view. we were talking about streaming different steps in the process and trying to use this to bring more people in....personally if I never played this game before and I saw that a community worked together to do historical sites, id want to be apart of it.....sure lets work on road, but why not do something new to start it up a community cry. obviously no one is asking for anyone to dedicate all there time to a project. but we are asking is the community come together and design something really extraordinary.

plus pyramids or called it the sacred tombs of wurm...the concepts they same, we would create burials for all the past players who have played that don't anymore, writing what they achieved...just like the great tombs of the real world....there is a lot of things to decide still, we just have a idea

5 hours ago, kochinac said:

How exactly are you planning to build pyramids, carve them out of stone with surface mining?

It can possibly ruin landscape for others and bring unrepairable damage to the world...

the creation is unknown but most likely with sand and a unground tunnel entrance at base of each one the for the tomb like area, we will be putting up structures as well, just not entirely sure yet, still be planned out thanks for your inquiry

There are some at 4738, 7461 on the community map. I think one is not finished. Maybe help finish those?

Yeah, that certainly looks like the base layout of the 3 great pyramids of Giza. don't think we need another pyramid on Xanadu personally. I know of two besides these that Idlamn pointed out... a massive road and terrain cleaning up project, now that's something I do on a regular

Tbh this idea lost traction...the people who helped come up with this idea and the dev support for the tomb itself have not brought it up. So the idea will be here if I can ever manage to more people interested...its not a project a few ppl can do on the side. Without dev support to find a way, it to protect the tomb for it is used for the whole idea doesn't matter...iv given a few suggestions to the devs in pls to see what can be done and I'm currently waiting basicly before I continue to push this.

Even with dev help I still need a community to come together to build it.

Edited by eldarian

You don't need Dev-support, you need this:

Guideline to Heritage Sites

But that only comes into play after the entire project is finished.

So what you would need first is a group of players working at  this project, then doing and completing the project and eventually applying for Heritage.

However, with all the ongoing public projects, I fear that the first step would be the most difficult.

Thorin :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thorinoakshield said:

You don't need Dev-support, you need this:

Guideline to Heritage Sites

But that only comes into play after the entire project is finished.

So what you would need first is a group of players working at  this project, then doing and completing the project and eventually applying for Heritage.

However, with all the ongoing public projects, I fear that the first step would be the most difficult.

Thorin :)

thanks...ya so many doing other things and the community isn't as big as it once was...ill keep talking to people and seeing if I can get it rolling until I can get enough people to volunteer this will just remain an idea, in hope to become a reality.

Hi,

A really epic idea, with a special emphasis on epics, would be to sculpt a mountain in the shape of a pyramid.
And to put the icing on the cake, make a network of tunnels inside it, creating a grid of highways.
Obviously it's not a job for one person or one month, and possibly it's so ambitious that it's unachievable

On 5/31/2020 at 10:03 AM, eldarian said:

Tbh this idea lost traction...the people who helped come up with this idea and the dev support for the tomb itself have not brought it up. So the idea will be here if I can ever manage to more people interested...its not a project a few ppl can do on the side. Without dev support to find a way, it to protect the tomb for it is used for the whole idea doesn't matter...iv given a few suggestions to the devs in pls to see what can be done and I'm currently waiting basicly before I continue to push this.

Even with dev help I still need a community to come together to build it.

you don't need it to be a Heritage Site to protect it, you just need to deed it and it'll be protected as long as you and your group keep the upkeep up.