Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Interaction with dogs - Dog AI

I had a situation in game where a wild dog ran up to me and stared at me for the longest time. For a moment it actually felt like it wanted to be friends (much like what will happen in Red Dead Redemption 2). Alas, it was merely pure coincidence that I happened to be standing there as it did it's random walking around.

However, it got me thinking about how cool it would be if dogs actually had a little bit of AI to give more immersion to the game.

Maybe it could work like this:

1) When an untamed unleashed dog notices a player within a 20 tile radius, it runs over (like in the video). 

2) It stops 1 tile away, facing the player and uses it's idle standing animation. You get the message in Event: "An aged dog stares at you with large soulful eyes"

3a) If player ignores the dog, it continues it's random sequence of animations that it usually does (that include stopping, running around, sniffling, barking etc) after 60 seconds of being ignored

3b) If player right clicks the dog and chooses option "Scratch" or "Pat", the dog will stand looking at you for 60 more seconds. Each additional pat/scratch extends this time a further 60 seconds. During these scratches, you get a message such as "The aged dog wags it's tail happily and licks your hand"

4) Attempting to tame the dog during this 60 second time frame, gives a higher chance of a successful tame and a lesser chance of dog going aggro

5) Upon patting/scratching a dog 5 times in a row, a new option will show in the menu "Play fetch".

• If you have a branch in your inventory, you get a message in event such as: "You throw the stick 5 tiles away and the dog runs after it". And the branch is removed from your inventory (like when you throw a snowball)
  • If you don't have a branch in your inventory, you get the message "You will need a branch to throw!"
  • The dog walks 5 tiles away, stops, then returns back to you, dropping the branch back into your inventory

In the radius of 20 tiles:

If there are multiple dogs + 1 player, only 1 dog will perform this action within a certain time frame.

If there are multiple players + 1 dog, the dog will choose someone at random

If there are both multiple players and multiple dogs, only 1 dog will choose 1 random player to do this to within a certain time frame

• Like 6

Would definitely be nice to have more interactive opportunities with mans best friend. 

The ability to breed dogs and receive various different breeds would be very nice with this, too; would kill to have a Leonberger companion to keep company and interact with on deed

• Like 2

I love this. I've always thought a deeper animal companion experience would be wonderful. It would make it much more fun and immersive to collect critters. +1!

• Like 1

Do not discriminate kitties, please!! Everyone needs a cat in their lives! preferably not a wild one 😛

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

I agree 100% but would go a little further,

Breeding cats and dogs and getting different breeds would be fantastic, but should come with a new skill.

I would also like to see rabbits! 

Then why not have dog kennel, rabbit cages the list could go on,

and lastly lets have ponds, with fish!   or give us glass making ( wink wink ) and then we can have goldfish!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

I would also like to see rabbits! 

Talking parrots would be fun as well

• Like 1

Or add a new dimension to the game by introducing battle/companion pets such as in other games where you can train them.

I know some people would view this as a "pokemon thingy" but in RL animals were used to augment warfare efforts, from hunting dogs to war elephants or war horses trained to bite and kick. Besides that, pets, if done right can add a nice new playing field to the game.

An idea would be you'd choose a main pet and slowly train his stats up to help you in combat or with chores.

Stat examples: Body strength: for combat damage.

Body control for evading better moves or additional options unlocked.

Body stam : how long can your pet perform a certain action effectively.

Mind: Responds faster to commands, helps around the deed with minor chores = can be trained to carry fetch some kindling.

Each of those stats can be trained over time using various manual or automated actions such as : using a training doll for the pet to train his strength and body control.

Throwing a stick or an item to train his stamina.

Teaching him to sit, paw, roll over for mind.

Also you can add various layers of protections and items for pets such as : body armor for a dog, spiked collar (increases melee damage).

For those that really want to preserve their animal they can either earn "res stones for their pets" through in game actions, such as reaching 50,70, 90 taming or can buy them from a trader. Say your pet dies in a rift? You can res him up if he dies or apply the stone beforehand.

Imagine going hunting and bringing your loyal wolf with you to distract a troll or a bear to tank a spider while you kill it. For pvp I'd disable this system since it would create a new meta involving the best type of mob out there, how to train it fast and use it in pvp.

• Like 2

Honestly, one area wurm (as an elevated MUD) is lacking in is mob interactions.

This would be a nice proof of concept to implement that won't impact balance.

Also, more dog breeds please!

• Like 2

I would love this, and being able to breed the dogs, and have the different colors and hair. all great ideas

• Like 1