Sign in to follow this  
MinorArchitect

Unused and Historical Wurm music files

So, I was poking around in the sound.jar extract folder, and I took a look in the '010-Music-Incidental' folder, and it contains all the songs we know and love from Wurm today, as well as some extra super-intense ones that sound like they are triggered during PvP(Could someone confirm?).
The I took a look at '009-Music-Specific' folder. I had been looking for that sweet riff that plays sometimes for no reason so I could save it and maybe use it in a dumb edit, but what I found amazed me: The entire(?) collection of original Wurm music by @Gurubearand his band, 21st Century Blues, Including classic hits like 'The Raven', 'Little Miss Jane', 'Village Work song', and of course, 'Wurm is Waiting', as well as a few dozen background tracks of various themes. I have only heard a few of these tracks in-game, and few on the 21st Century Blues YouTube channel, but there are many more that probably nobody has heard for years.

Another thing to mention is that the three Kingdom Anthems are there as well(which I think sound awesome!), and also the very last track aside from the achievement sound effects is Gurubear "wishing all Wurmians a merry Christmas, from Rolf and the entire team!", which I assume was used in a Christmas event or message way back when.

A bunch of them seem to fit some sort of theme, but it's hard to tell what. Any older players with a keen ear for music and a good memory, please share what you think the songs were for/from!

If you want to have a listen to these, all you need is a tool that can extract .jar Java Archives, and to extract the sounds.jar file in /yourwurmfolder/packs/. All of the sound files have ambiguous names, so you'll have to look through them all to find ones that are proper songs, but I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing to do while mining out an iron vein.

Edited by MinorArchitect
  • Like 4

"wishing all Wurmians a merry Christmas, from Rolf and the entire team!"

The garden gnomes, when first released as a christmas gift, played a song when someone used them (it played music for every person in local) and that was said at the end of it. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

those music tracks you mentioned once  were on the front page of wurm back in the day,. glorios time back then :)

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, the kingdom anthems were a community contest where you could submit lyrics? But yea, Gurubear's Wurm songs are still my favourite to listen to... although outside of the actual gameplay. Highly recommended to give them a listen, most of them are not simply lyrics that happen to rhyme and are Wurm themed, they're real stories from in-game happenings put into song.

I am glad people still like them!  All a very long time ago for this old bear.  Mind you, the other day I got a few pennies royalty for a track I wrote in 1984 for some library somewhere!

• Like 8

On 11/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, Gurubear said:

I am glad people still like them!  All a very long time ago for this old bear.  Mind you, the other day I got a few pennies royalty for a track I wrote in 1984 for some library somewhere!

Gud'day Gurubear,

Friday, March 24th, 2023 at 01:27 GMT

Absolutely loved your music !  Thank you for the most enjoyable Wurm music, in our humble opinion.

My wife and I still feel your original four "Log On" tracks were the best ever way of announcing to someone waiting for the servers to go back that "Wurm was up and you were being logged in".

FYI...  Some good news for you.  A few years ago, I found your original design for Gurubears Crater and I finished off the Bear Star in center of Gurubears Crater, capping the central plyth with a Guard Twr making the central area a "safety zone".

With the help of my Allie and friend Andistyr we put in the north side switch back access road called Gurubears Climb up from the West Coast Hwy via  deed of the same name.

Other folks have been working on finishing of the four access roads down into the crater, as time permits them.

Thank you again for some great game music.

Wurm is Waiting !!!

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy with my wife Skyefox

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kHuvWv-8Sha5nsRgow9LSLrNxwYbHFpL/view