Sign in to follow this  
Vibius

Couples Retreat

I just joined this game with my wife about two weeks ago. My previous experience with the game was eight or so years ago, playing for a few days on a pvp server then quitting when my first house was destroyed. It’s going much better this time around, and we have built up a quaint little couple of shacks and a farm with some animals just outside of Haven’s Landing, since my previous experience made me want to make things simple and easy to let my wife get hooked on the game.

Well now she is hooked. We have been talking about deeding by the coast and then sailing to a new island eventually, but now she wants to skip all that, leave what we have behind, and go off to settle in our permanent home using our one free teleport.

So my main question is, where should we go? We’d like a place far less populated and with less history, because we had a bad experience with our mine digging breaking into a public mine, but I also enjoy stumbling across the occasional rotting house and searching it for its history. Besides that, we are perfectly fine being far away from everybody, because we have friends that may join and between the two of us only we have tons of fun just working together on basic things, like digging a useless ditch for four days. 

Besides my main question, I am also wondering what we should bring and how we should prepare, what precautions to take and all that, to make sure we dont go all the way out to some place and then one of us dies and we cant get back, or something unforeseen. We really don’t know much about the game and enjoy discovering, so keep that in mind with your answers. I’m not trying to master something just to remove all the risk before I go, just the real importabt stuff.

Im also guessing that what we can bring is limitted to our inventory, not a cart or an animal or anything?

Thank you,

Vibius

• Like 1

There is a small place on Northern deliverance I will PM about to you. You'd only have me to your east, and one other person to your north.

As for what to bring with you, any armor and weapons. Having food and a large barrel filled with water will also be good, until you find a water source :) Bring all your tools. If you really want to start new, just bring a pickaxe, shovel, chisel, and steel and flint. That will get you going in a completely fresh start.

Best thing is to try and make/buy a small boat (a rowboat is possible and easy to be made at any level, and because you don't plan to take much stuff with you, it will suffice).

Take your tools, armor, weapons, some food and water, then go out and pay a visit to other servers as well.

Each server has unique communities, some more friendly, some more distant, but you can find helpful players anywhere.

Each server has plenty of free space where you can deed (and I strongly recommend you find a spot at water edge, because why not? it will provide you with water, food (fish), rice and reed farming, dock, boats and easy sailing wherever you like); there is enough waterfront where you could deed.

Xanadu has the widest landscape, and you can find a spot without neighbors on a radius of an hour, if not more, but it has a few cons as well; smaller servers are more balanced and still offer you a lot of opportunities to find that place you can call "home".

Of course, I would recommend to you to come and visit Pristine, which is the best server of all :D

The N-W area has some great spots, and I would recommend you to check around G11 (no close neighbours there, and worth being seen).

Either way, wherever you will settle, I wish you good luck and a lot of fun!

• Like 5

Deliverance is wonderful! 

• Like 1

Welcome both of you. :) 

There are lots of couples in Wurm who have done much the same thing.

You can bring as much or as little with you as you like, depending upon your mode of travel.  If you use a portal you can only take what you can carry.  If you make or hire a large enough boat you can take all your possessions, even some animals.

If you get a little boat you can make some exploratory trips to find somewhere suitable before you move all your goods and chattels, and what's more you can come back and try again if you don't find that perfect spot immediately.

Another thing you could do is make an exploring alt (alternative character) to go on ahead through the portal and scout out an interesting area.  This has the benefit of giving you another pair of eyes to check out the lay of the land, without the emotional attachment you feel to your own toons.  Using this alt toon, you can take screenshots and share them, and make an informed joint decision before going there yourselves permanently.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 2

What they all said.

I am a bit over 6 months in and I have moved/settled twice.  The first was by teleport and the second by rowing boat that I built.  I found going by boat much more satisfying, but importantly more practical as it helped me build my mental map of the area that I settled.  I had practically nothing when I teleported, so didn't have to make any choices about what to bring (I could carry everything I owned), but I found the teleport "broke" my innate sense of location in game.  I suddenly needed the map more.  By sailing to my new location (Harvestmoon Lagoon on Release) not only did I get a better sense of where I was, I also got to take pretty much everything but animals and infrastructure (although starting out with only a little row boat, it took a few trips until the HM Mayor gave me unfettered use of a bigger boat, so I made one last trip and collected more than I have been able to use since).

I would say that your best choice would be to travel around a bit, even by wagon if not by boat, and see what appeals.  I have not yet been out of the NE quadrant of the Release server since settling here, and even in that space I have seen some wonderful sites, either empty or abandoned, for a bit of semi-hermit settlement.  It was my intent to do exactly that - settle somewhere where isolation was possible, but purely choice, but frankly have turned into a bit of a townie.  (Actually, "townies" where I am in Oz are just people who live their life in towns/cities rather than rural areas - the sort of people for whom water comes from the tap, food from the supermarket and building material from the hardware store.  I just recalled that in the USA I think it is used in a different manner, much more perjorative).

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses everyone. We re thinking a spot in xanadu. Can you teleport to any deed?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vibius said:

Thank you for the responses everyone. We re thinking a spot in xanadu. Can you teleport to any deed?

You can teleport to any starter deed, not player-made deeds.

34 minutes ago, Vibius said:

When you join a village, you get the option to teleport to the token if you are far away. You can use this once per account. Though it doesn't seem that you will be needing this if it is your own deed.

Each of the servers has maps that are posted on the forums. Maybe take a look that those, see what areas look appealing in terms of water access, usable land (keep an eye on the elevation changes), and your desired level of remoteness, etc.

Each server has it's pros and cons, some have almost no previously terraformed land, while others are less developed. Xanadu has the most land that is untouched, but some spots on it can be very remote and you might not see anyone in your local for days or weeks. There's also the lag that Xanadu has since it's such a big server.

Wherever you decide to settle I wish you happy Wurming!