Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

Remove cooldown for alignment skill gains

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Alignment

Gaining alignment points (either positive or negative) has a cool down timer. Once you have gained an alignment tick you must wait 30 minutes before you are able to gain again. Note that alignment automatically drifting towards zero does not affect this timer.

Remove alignment cool down..

it's not an actual skill, BUT it affects priest casts and follower's passive bonus, and heavily cripples bonuses from latest priest change for passives.

This affects players who switch between white/black.. the amount of time required to get back to 100 is "a bit" concerning.

To be honest, i dont see a problem with a delay in switching between something radical as loving something to hate it.

And for alignment in general, its not very hard to maintain 100/-100.

err try when you switch from white to black and you suddenly need a whole 100... and you just used your /transfer.. it makes that transfer useless your passive and casting is absolute ***** for a week, what's the purpose of /transfer on followers than? - none, as there's no benefit of it, sure you keep the 30 faith.. but without the alignment.. with the new system that faith alone is trash, you might as well not have it, it's affected and depends on the alignment now

Do you see the problem now when it's explained 2nd time?

So its how the /transfer is done you dont like? The simple suggestion then would be to keep your alignment at % of full.

If you want you can open a suggestion about that, meanwhile I'm suggesting something else, if you have to derail do it elsewhere.

Im not derailing at all. Im just simply answering that i think it would be a bad change to change alignment in the way you suggest. Isnt that allowed? To discuss? I think there would be a much bigger benefit of adding the % of full gained with a transfer, if thats the problem. I dont think it would be smart to remove the alignment gain timer. The timer is used in sermons for example?

Edited by Nordlys

I do not think it's in anybody's favor to drag and slowly grind for a useless buffer skill for days or require a priest to waste it's time with confessions and so on.. in a sandbox.... you should NOT be forced to stick to a priest for full half to 2 days or more(depending how much you or the priest can play or be active to participate) doing confessions.

No matter what % you transfer you'll be stuck to grind the rest at slow rate, which is  -  dumb and not fun and this is a game and that is not at all entertaining content to play or cater to, and I'm trying to fix that part, and you're trying to convince me that it's "useful" to be annoyed by such feature. That used to not be an issue when nothing for followers depended on alignment.. but now it does.. so.. lets spice things up and make it a bit less dumb.. putting a bit more power into the player and how it wants to play the (*coughs* sandbox) game, rather than choke them with fanatic-online priest mamabird feeding nonsense?

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

casting is absolute ***** for a week,

unless you have under 80 channeling alignment does barely anything for casting, but at that point casting is always gonna be absolute ###### due to the nature of the skill lol

3 hours ago, Finnn said:

I do not think it's in anybody's favor to drag and slowly grind for a useless buffer skill for days or require a priest to waste it's time with confessions and so on

lol afk at a sermon circle overnight and you're at 100

you're really making a molehill into a mountain here, alignment is pointless but it takes literally no time to get 100 compared to faith or channeling or w/e.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

-1. alignment takes a day if that to get to + or - 100. removing alignment cooldown would open the loophole only, where 30 priests could sermon every minute... 

When posting suggestions please try to approach them in a polite manner that encourages discussion, not argumentative and disruptive language. 

As much as I hate the cool down as well, I think its good to have balance wise. You get a bonus to spellcasting through faith bonus based on your alignment divided by 2. Having that as a bonus when you dont have a decent altar makes a huge difference. The skill gain bonuses as well are based on it, and I think the cooldown works fine to help balance that as well.

Heard about the sermon cd using this already, but the one thing does not stop the other.. cooldown can remain for sermons and be removed from other actions .. duh?

Why can't vyn follower's chopping trees for +1 alignment be a normal fix to recover alignment?

I'm not a priest, why should I be forced to be in sermons than?

Should we all switch faiths every week to incentivise grinding alignment, is that a new intended meta?

Issue is new content change... alignment NOW affects the passive bonus from 20 or higher faith now.

I have 30 faith.. I have also no alignment.. making /transfer kind of useless in this case.

Sure I can sail off to a random place waste a day afk, wreck nutrition and do all kinds of unpleasant things I do not want to do in this or any game, but why?

Current way I'm going to fix it.. is confessions and burying guard bodies every 30min for a while.. is that fun to annoy another person for half-1 day or put a timer to bury tower guard bodies that I'll have to stock up on before hand.... idk.. should we play it like that instead?

For somebody with no priest alt and not a regular at AA sermon meetings.. this is kind of a huge game changer for something else before the last change useless skill.

So MAYBE, something could be improved to give people freedom or tie them to sermons("because they are fun for main non priests..", or "it's fun to annoy other people in the game with confessions")

If the idea we're going for is social aspect doing annoying things.. lets go head on into this boring content.

As said I'm having my solution for the current state, I am just suggesting to improve the issue with the old useless, now affecting other things alignment.

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Why can't vyn follower's chopping trees for +1 alignment be a normal fix to recover alignment?

it is.

8 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Current way I'm going to fix it.. is confessions and burying guard bodies every 30min for a while.. is that fun to annoy another person for half-1 day or put a timer to bury tower guard bodies that I'll have to stock up on before hand.... idk.. should we play it like that instead?

if you want to min-max gaining alignment sure, if you just play casually you'll get 100 alignment over time from random tree chopping or building as vynora. Mag/lib get it from killing mobs so they also get it over time very easily.

11 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Should we all switch faiths every week to incentivise grinding alignment, is that a new intended meta?

Alignment taking time to grind is a natural counter to the "swap faiths to grind specific skills" you mentioned in the post when they were added, removing the timer just makes that easier. Unless i'm mistaken, changing faith (without using the free transfer) drops you to 1 alignment doesn't it?

you seem to be confusing "the fastest way to do something" with "the only way to do something" or "the meta" or whatever you wanna call it. it only takes a few days of casual play to hit 100, and you can just afk at a sermon circle overnight if you really want that 5% skillgain or whatever so badly. You wouldn't even notice the difference due to the game rounding characteristic ticks anyway.

leaving only 1 'smart' way to do a thing.. and rest being way less effective.. in this case.. if you aren't or cant do sermons - you're screwed.

In this case I'm not a priest.. and I'm asking for at least equal "easy mode", it's not even affecting me that much (cant do)for spells.. but NOW with latest change it is affecting something which previously it wasn't.

Sure cutting trees blah blah.. and how many hours does a player/customer have to dump into catering on a timer and cutting trees to recover 1 to 100 alignment for a 2.5 to 10% skillgain?

Is it reasonable to annoy people with chasing simple things like that with latest change?

Do we need it really?

I'd say no.. 

This only affects this severely wl/bl transfers.. obviously.. and by the time this gets even a look at.. I'll have my issue solved.. but many other wont even know how to fix this and will struggle for weeks on their own.

There's just no easy fix on your own with this.. unless it's intended to put somebody through farming 50 tower guards and have them bury them for 25 real life hours? ("sounds fun" -- nnah..)