Sign in to follow this  
Minnie

Show hover text and right-click menus even when GUI is toggled off

I find myself constantly toggling the GUI on and off while doing certain tasks in game.  These are tasks for which I need to see hover text and/or use right-click menus, but where the rest of the GUI mostly just gets in the way of doing what needs to be done.  

When I’m digging, for instance, the main thing I need to see is the slopes.  When I’m harvesting/pruning/picking sprouts, all I need to see is the tree info.  Many other tasks fall into this category.  With the GUI off, I can’t see these essential bits of information.  But with the GUI on, the screen is cluttered with other visual elements that are mostly or totally unnecessary to the task at hand.  The only solution (that I know of at least) is to repeatedly toggle it.

So I propose a scenario in which, with the GUI off, you could still see hover text info on slopes, trees, farm tiles, creatures, players, etc., and you could still use the right-click menu to dig, farm, harvest, prune, examine, etc.,* without the screen getting cluttered up with boxes.

Could be optional, as some might prefer a totally clean look when GUI is off.

*And yes, I know I could use keybinds in place of the right-click menu options (and I do, to an extent) but I don’t want to have to assign or remember dozens of different keybinds.  Plus some actions can’t be keybound, most notably “Ride,” which many of us use all the time.

This would completely remove the idea of removing the UI. I dont really mind it if its an option that you can turn on if you like.

There is however a new GUI in the works, as stated in a Valrei International a little while ago. Dont know how it would be there, but i guess the remove UI option is still a thing.

Edited by Nordlys

I know what you mean about too many windows cluttering the screen. Have you tried minimising them? This is my solution,and it works well for me. 

I'd rather not have any labels and such when the GUI is off. I use it primarily for screenshos, and I already get annoyed if outlines are showing.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Schiann said:

I know what you mean about too many windows cluttering the screen. Have you tried minimising them? This is my solution,and it works well for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.  For me though, minimizing windows isn’t necessarily a solution.  I do need them sometimes, and I’d be happy to able to skip the tedious process of minimizing them when I don’t need them and then maximizing them again when I do—especially when there are a lot of them open.  I much prefer just making the whole thing disappear when I don’t need it.  If I could do that—make the whole thing disappear—but still see slopes, item info, etc. (and use the right-click menu), life would be wonderful.  But I can’t, because you can’t see that stuff when the GUI is off.  

Certain tasks are just a lot easier when the field of view is clear (terraforming is the prime example here, for me).  However these same tasks are not possible to do with GUI off, because you need to see hover text (and, to a lesser extent, use the r-click menu) in order to do them.  It’s problematic, for me at least, and for others too, I'd wager (was hoping maybe some of them would chime in, but it appears I’m on my own here).

23 hours ago, Schiann said:

I'd rather not have any labels and such when the GUI is off. I use it primarily for screenshos, and I already get annoyed if outlines are showing.

Sure, I get that--that's why it would just be an option. :)