Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Link forum account of sorts to all in game accounts

Have one MAIN account that does not play or have an IN game character like this forum account I'm on. However, with this forum account, I can pay for premium for my main ingame char and my few alt accounts.

Reasons For: 

Cyber security: Only one password / username to log into on a web browser side. so less likely accounts get hacked

Convenience: I can add to cart premium for all my premium or choose what silver goes where for each account for newly bought from store.

and less time spending in store of logging in and logging out of each online account, and more time playing!

We already have part of this done. Go to your profile and you can show your alt accounts that are linked to your forum account

@Retrogradeon stream ^ ^ ^

Edited by polarbear

i thought we were getting a different client for login that was going to handle some of this?

Edited by armyskin

One weakness for point of access to control all isnt better its worse having forum and game accounts completely separate is better then just hooking them up to a single main account like a forum account

You want a good security related solution? Main account that requires 2fa to log in be it mobile based or email based(but email based is again a weakness) said main account can be used to log into the game and can be linked to the forum account yet is still separate from it
A one time 1 way separate game account/email transfer to main account to merge all accounts into 1 would be a thing offered with requiring email confirmation to transfer those toons over

As for easier purchasing of prem yes i would love to see a proper shop that is more modern that can handle the purchasing of premium time for multiple characters at once

terrible idea

no

--edit

"cyber security" & using only ONE password = OmegaLOL  joke of the year

the names you 'link' on your forum profile are plank fields.. you can type anything there.. doesn't have to be your chars, it's just what they are intended for.

Edited by Finnn

Wasn't there a few years ago a situation where some forum accounts were hacked and then the player accounts because the forum/Wurm account used the same password?

I wouldn't be against it in practice if it had several layers of security such as an app that would force you to type a code in (authenticator) each time an account is logged in from a different machine/location/ or other layers of security (time logged off) but at the moment the current system seems fine to me.

From personal experience I can say that my now "deactivated" EA account was hacked about 4-5 times in about as many years and after spending weeks pestering them about it I still got a mail that it got hacked again despite filing for account deactivation with their support team.

* Note * Never bought a game on that account, only got a gift game on it and forgot about it. I just find it funny that I ask them to disable the account yet I still get mails that it gets hacked from Singapore, Canada or Japan. Don't underestimate hackers. The fact that an EA account can be linked with several other IDs such as your FB one, is also troubling.

Point is, best not to put your eggs in one basket, it just isn't worth the risk. Sounds good in theory and makes life easier but it just f**** up security.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, elentari said:

Wasn't there a few years ago a situation where some forum accounts were hacked and then the player accounts because the forum/Wurm account used the same password?

YUP... some pvp shenanigans going a bit too far to "outplay the enemy"..