Sign in to follow this  

Hi, i have around 25 days in game, i always got FASCINATED by shields, leveling it up being super hard tho like always..
I'm a player from Independence, mainly PVE player
I seen many forum posts about shields from google searches but hardly the answers i wanted..
I ask many many times and days on CA Help but nobody can answer me, decided its about time to make this forum post,
seeking for some Master of the Shield to be able to answer me the tons of questions i have.
question 1 is my biggest worry, along with number 6
Focus info and other maybe important self info:
Focus helps you parry more with your weapon.
Focus helps you get a better footing.

all my experience with this was mainly(98%) with a Large Metal Shield
its honestly frustrating me how sometimes i block a lot,
and sometimes i pass 7 mins doing no blocks to the same types of animals, for information i am Large Shield level 11.6 and Shields 8.7
I am a follower of Magranon.
1:FOCUS, should i use it to increase blocking chance at all?(Footing and Parry chance influences my Shield Block chance?)
2:Distance(Too Far, Good,Close) influences now likely i will block?
3:Does the way i position myself in PVE affects my block chance? (not counting pvp arrows)
4:Defensive stance.. says i should parry more, higher Defensive Stance levels will make me block more or it works just for weapons?
5:Most times i have a big streak of blocks then another streak of non-blocks at all, is it just me?
6:(very important)What does the QL on my shield actually do? More block chance, reduce more player-received DMG or only equipment DMG? what QL should i have my shield and why?
7*:Someone explain in detail about time limit of training per mob/location in detail?
8:Bigger damage Blocked(Stronger than my FS animals) will influence the much exp i get in shields/Large shield exp tick when it succeed? Is it even reliable try to train that way?
9:More levels of Large Metal Shield will increase my block chance more than level of "Shields"? or both are of same importance?
10:When i fight with a sword, will the sword parries eat my chance to block when the shield block chance would trigger?
11:In Future when i get higher Large Metal Shield levels in, should i level other shields to increase over all Shields level and block "more" when i come back to main shield?
12:How do my Combat Rating influence my blocking? in case of being up in a horse. is it better or worse for the training?
Last but not least
13:What about Shield Bashing levels? i know it might works better on players higher levels, but does it increase stun timer for PVE animals too?
(ps: i always shield bash when possible)
14:How exactly stunning a mob help? stop maybe a special attack? lower their focus level? do they still keep hitting?
14²:on higher levels on shields should i stop using Shield Bash so the animal can hit me more, letting me have more chances trying to block?

extra info about 7: Sometimes i can fight the animal close to the one i just exhausted my time with defensive training to keep gaining skill exp,
but then i come back after stamina regain outside fight, the SAME mob i was fighting doesn't give me any skill ticks anymore?
I am aware i won't block without any stamina at all, but sometimes i feel like i block more with lower stamina?

Enlighten me with your knowledge wise people of Wurm!
Links of personal notations(guides) that are useful for shield blocking trainers are highly welcome!

Edited by HoldenToledo

dont bother focusing for skilling shields it'll mess up skillgain with your CR changing

distance doesn't matter

its much harder to block things attacking from behind you

defensive lets you block more

blocking is buggy at times

ql is chance for block and damage taken and effects skillgain chance

15 minutes per mob, resets every 4 hours

dmg blocked = skillgain tick size, trolls are good if you can tank them for long times

shields skill does little its all in the actual shield skill (small medium large whatever)
off the top of my head it should do checks like block (shield) - parry (weapon) - dodge (body control) - glance (armor) - hit/miss (combat rating) in that order

only train one shield

your CR vs theirs is used for the skill tick check, but other than that shouldn't matter iirc

shield bashing skill is more skill = more chance to stun and bigger stuns, but has lots of modifiers such as shield weight, shield material type, opponents body control, their weight, their armor, if they're moving, all kinds of things

to grind skills you want to fight mobs that hit big and slow, but unfortunately the only thing really worth skilling on is trolls and they take a lot to tank, just get a LT weapon and sit in normal or defensive slapping mobs for a long time and try not to watch the skillgain, it sucks until you can fight trolls.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 5

"low ql shield, while swimming, while I point my horses ass at the mob against penned trolls. got it."

This is the conclusion I came to when asking in discord for tips.

Just go around and murder everything on your server and when you cannot find any mobs (without seaching) sail to another server and repeat. It's what I did to raise my LMS + 4 weapons to 50 in a few days.
I think LMS espcially is a skill not to pay much attention to, just let it happen. Focus on leveling some 1 handed weapons and the shield skill will come slowly also.

• Like 2

1-20 skill are going to be domestic mobs, bulls, hell horses, dogs etc. 20-50ish are bears, spiders, crocs. The 50-70 you can start fighting young-mature trolls, hell hounds if you can find them at a younger age. 70+ is troll and hell hounds all the way to 100. If you can find a champion hell hounds to pen train on that would be ideal. Greenish trolls, raging trolls and fierce trolls all having higher damage output so that means your shield will go poof quick. Invest in about 10 shields with 90+ coc. Good luck gamer 

• Like 1

You'll barely block under 50 shield skill. Overall "shields" skill dont matter at all.

Blocking becomes powerful above 70+ 

Also use only large metal shield. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

1:FOCUS, should i use it to increase blocking chance at all?(Footing and Parry chance influences my Shield Block chance?)

Focus provides additional damage reduction per stage and other combat related stats like rating, dodge etc. So does high ground. Try to avoid fighting creatures from a lower footing. Try to use focus if you plan to stay in combat with the same creature for a prolonged time. If you switch target or disengage you'll lose the focus stages quickly.

Your fight skill level affects the chance of being able to focus to higher stages, up to the "supernatural/invincible" (can't remember the correct name atm).

If you get hit you can lose focus levels (i think it's related to the amount of damage received).

There is a method where you alternate shield bash and focus so you keep the creature's focus level low and raise your own: Focus up right after a shield bash so the creature will be briefly stunned, giving you a small window to focus without retaliation.

If you manage to get to high stages you should get hit much less overall (and also receive less damage). Since you take less damage when focused, you also have less chance to lose focus stages when getting hit. Remember to keep bashing to keep the creature's focus low.

The higher body stamina you have the better / more viable it is to focus and stay in prolonged combat (you'll drain less stamina on block and focusing).

2:Distance(Too Far, Good,Close) influences now likely i will block?

I never noticed significant differences from being too close or too far, other than maybe hitting more often a creature (possibly a placebo effect).

3:Does the way i position myself in PVE affects my block chance? (not counting pvp arrows)

Having your toon's left side facing the creature will lay better results. If you want to block less and parry more with your weapon try to face your right side to the creature, you should be able to notice the difference (assuming you are using a high parry chance weapon like sword or maul). As rule of thumb, if possible, personally i keep the creatures on the left half side of the screen when i'm facing/fighting them.

4:Defensive stance.. says i should parry more, higher Defensive Stance levels will make me block more or it works just for weapons?

I don't know the correlation with high defensive stance skill level, but it should help. When you get to super high fight skill levels and stats you can stay in aggressive stance and still block and parry most of creatures.

5:Most times i have a big streak of blocks then another streak of non-blocks at all, is it just me?

It's possible, that's how % works. If you have a rough 30% block for example you could have a streak of blocks and then a streak of not blocking anything. Try to face your left side (the shield side) toward the creature. For better block chance start with easier creatures, like roosters pigs.. then work your way toward horses, wolves as your block improves and gradually up.

As a side note, getting injured, especially on the arms/hands should decrease your chances to parry or block.

6:(very important)What does the QL on my shield actually do? More block chance, reduce more player-received DMG or only equipment DMG? what QL should i have my shield and why?

The shield quality should help you block more and makes the shield more durable to damage/battering. Can help at the beginning, when you get very high skill you can overcompensate and still block fairly reliably with poor quality shields.

7*:Someone explain in detail about time limit of training per mob/location in detail?

I don't know that specific, but it has been answered in posts above.

8:Bigger damage Blocked(Stronger than my FS animals) will influence the much exp i get in shields/Large shield exp tick when it succeed? Is it even reliable try to train that way?

I've never paid attention to that. Shield bash provides a shield skill tick as well so you may want to use these when they are available. I would avoid fighting trolls as they tend to damage heavily your shield (so on the long run more repairs and puts the shield out of commission faster), but someone else suggested otherwise. Up to you on how you want to proceed.

9:More levels of Large Metal Shield will increase my block chance more than level of "Shields"? or both are of same importance?

I don't know the specific of the general "shields" skill, but it has been answered above. The individual shield skill (small, medium or large) seemed to play the major role in affecting the block chance. I *believe* Body Control stat also plays a role for dodge/parry/block.

10:When i fight with a sword, will the sword parries eat my chance to block when the shield block chance would trigger?

It shouldn't eat your chance to shield block because, sword parry should occur only after failing a block check (assuming you had the shield equipped and facing toward the creature). If sword parry also fails the check it will attempt to dodge the creature, then if that also fails you'll get hit.

11:In Future when i get higher Large Metal Shield levels in, should i level other shields to increase over all Shields level and block "more" when i come back to main shield?

That's a personal preference if you want to level up other shield types i guess.. most players tend to stick with Large Metal Shield. Considering how slow it can get to level up the skill it would perhaps be best to focus on improving one specific type you know you are gonna use constantly, rather than spreading the skillgain among the types. Personally i use small wood shield or medium wood at times since i play mostly PvE and it's easier to chop a nearby tree and improve wood items on the spot rather than heating the metal and shield.

12:How do my Combat Rating influence my blocking? in case of being up in a horse. is it better or worse for the training?
I haven't noticed a big difference, i think you actually block better from horse. Overall i think it's better to be on horse so you don't stumble in stamina problems and become unable to move. With an horse you can sprint away in such case.

13:What about Shield Bashing levels? i know it might works better on players higher levels, but does it increase stun timer for PVE animals too?
(ps: i always shield bash when possible) Shield bash should provide a shield skill tick when you land it on a creature. I don't know anything about the stun timer.

14:How exactly stunning a mob help? stop maybe a special attack? lower their focus level? do they still keep hitting?

Shield bash decrease the creature's focus when it lands (they tend to focus up as well in prolonged fights). A focused creature becomes harder to hit and possibly becomes harder to land bashes if you let it focus too much. Also they may become better at hitting you so keep that in mind.

14²:on higher levels on shields should i stop using Shield Bash so the animal can hit me more, letting me have more chances trying to block?

That's up to you i guess.. considering that shield bash is a slow skill to level up  to high levels and doesn't land very reliably on creatures such as dragons until very high levels i'd keep trying to improve it among with the other combat related skills.

Edited by MashHiven
Additional text in one of the answers, fixing some typos..
  • Like 1