Sign in to follow this  
Jaz

Junk fragments coverin' all servers and clog server polling - give them a use

Wherever you ride you will see literally tons of crap fragments left around on the soil. They decay super slow, they very surely make poor server hamsters sweat to do the damage/whatever polling on the servers and they are an eyesore.

But. Don't simply raise decay rate on them please; that would make archeology masters' time much harder storing up their valued scraps for later assembly.

Rather give the unwanted fragments some use:

* we could have new missions requiring saccing considerable amounts of them

* we could use them for some miniscule deed bonus increases when sacced

* we could even bury a pile of fragments away, maybe giving the chance of dimes like burying corpses

* any other crazy ideas I'm too dull to think of.

Edited by Jaz
ehh mistypes and mistypes as always
  • Like 8

+1

I also think this is a problem.
* another crazy idea: we could mix them into concrete to increase the amount of concrete. Everyone hates to make concrete, it will be a win-win situation. :D

Edited by Annyil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Annyil said:

we could mix them into concrete to increase the amount of concrete.

Its all fun and games until some one slips and punctures them selves on a Sickle Fragment.

• Like 2

I'd like to propose increasing their rate of decay significantly.

48 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

You could always combine them into bricks, ore, lumps, shafts, pegs, tenons etc - and keep them in bsbs. :P 

I think the problem is not that they are useless, but that many folk are too lazy to pick them up take them home and grind some skill.  Occasionally some people actually buy junk fragments at 1s/1000 just to grind their restoration skill, so these items are not without use or value.

We can't make people pick up their 'rubbish', and it can impact on other players' experiences, so I think that yes, off deed, and off deed only, they should decay faster than they do currently.

Mini tokens - now that's another matter - I have 1000's of the things - and something ought to be done so that they have a useful end.

Edited by Muse
  • Like 1

I use the mini tokens as railings on my 2nd level terrace...

3 hours ago, Wargasm said:

50 times current decay rate OFF-DEED only. 

i pick up the lumps and wood frags and unidentified ones when i see em, but ya there is a huge problem with the bricks, shard and ore frags

Simpler Solution :- Just give us a special BSB for fragments.  Seriously; it's not rocket science.

Most people leave them behind because they are a pain to store.

• Like 2

Could just spawn less of unwanted frags and add more of the coveted ones.

A simple solution (or workaround) would be to make frags discardable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Simpler Solution :- Just give us a special BSB for fragments.  Seriously; it's not rocket science.

Most people leave them behind because they are a pain to store.

Their data would not be stored. 

10 hours ago, Katrat said:

Could just spawn less of unwanted frags and add more of the coveted ones.

"junk" fragments come from failing skill checks, or searching on land that never had a deed, to get more useful ones use high ql tools (yes, even when skilling) on old deeds

46 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

"junk" fragments come from failing skill checks, or searching on land that never had a deed, to get more useful ones use high ql tools (yes, even when skilling) on old deeds

At 96+ skill, 93+ql rare trowel still a considerably high amount are ores/lumps from locations where I farm small tokens of 3 former villages...

EDIT: ahh and also those crude stuff, branches, arrow shafts etc etc.

Edited by Jaz

Discard option + increased decay rate outside of deed, couse I bet, that even with discard option, some lazy people gonna left them on the ground anyway.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I take it fragments contain rune, material, and enchant data then?

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I take it fragments contain rune, material, and enchant data then?

As soon as a fragment is discovered, it is already known exactly what it is.

7 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Discard option + increased decay rate outside of deed, couse I bet, that even with discard option, some lazy people gonna left them on the ground anyway.

Well, I do not believe that fragments are a huge burden to server performance so it is mainly bothersome to have the ugly fragment piles in the landscape. And as this bothering is in the eye of the beholder, a convenient way to remove it by discarding would suffice under my opinion.

I even fancy single fragments lying around here and there, as some of the models are really pretty or funny. Also it sometimes helps to find my arrows :). Moreover, when having a rare or supreme copper or iron ore one is grateful about the litterbugs leaving the more profane pieces behind.

1 hour ago, zethreal said:

As soon as a fragment is discovered, it is already known exactly what it is.

I was thinking more once you have revealed a fragment (peg fragment [1/3]), does it already have any enchant/rune data stored on the fragment?  Or is this added later on when using restoration?

Here's a thought to generally solve the issue. 

When doing arch, give an option to "Mark for preservation". Doing that to an item stops decay for - select options:  30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 150 days. Upon examining it you can see its protection and low long it has left before it expires.

By default, arch frags shouldn't be protected when used. They should have super fast decay = less than 1 week. 

Thus archeologists can "Mark" their pieces so they can keep them on deed without decay, while the ones that are abandoned in the wild will decay in a week without protection. I think coding it should be pretty easy , just set parameters for decay based on whether an item is "marked" or not. 

50 minutes ago, elentari said:

Here's a thought to generally solve the issue. 

When doing arch, give an option to "Mark for preservation". Doing that to an item stops decay for - select options:  30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 150 days. Upon examining it you can see its protection and low long it has left before it expires.

By default, arch frags shouldn't be protected when used. They should have super fast decay = less than 1 week. 

Thus archeologists can "Mark" their pieces so they can keep them on deed without decay, while the ones that are abandoned in the wild will decay in a week without protection. I think coding it should be pretty easy , just set parameters for decay based on whether an item is "marked" or not. 

What about a container made to fit inside a small cart (or bigger vehicle)? Decay would be very high outside of container, horse saddle sacks or player inventory. Possibly also reduce/remove decay if on a deed. 

Right clicking and marking would be annoying and I don’t think there’s really any other similar mechanic (I guess sealing fluid containers is somewhat similar)

Suggestion 1: Make identified archaeology fragments worth 25 iron each when sold to a token.

Suggestion 2: Make a statue "of chimera" that accepts any 2,000 or more assorted fragments.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nygen said:

Suggestion 1: Make identified archaeology fragments worth 25 iron each when sold to a token.

Suggestion 2: Make a statue "of chimera" that accepts any 2,000 or more assorted fragments.

Or a statue that's called "post modernist abstract meta art" 😛 The things you see in galleries today man, they boggle the mind. Still, many things could be done to remove junk around the map, suggestions are in the dozens by now.

23 hours ago, nygen said:

You can already sell them, identified or not, to a token, the price they get varies. This is how I dispose of any I don't want to restore to use, but then I don't gather thousands in one arch venture like some do :D

give a large bonus to sacrificing arch shards... 100 shards = 1s rare window bonus. would make it worth getting rid of them.