Sign in to follow this  
kochinac

Useless things in Wurm....

Wurm has quite diverse and broad content unlike any other game and that's wonderful but that comes at a cost. A lot of things that provide that contet in Wurm are, lets say uselles in a lack of better word. It's like some things exists only for the sake of existance.. Or they simply don't justify effort required to get them in it's usefulness. Sure some of them are fun doing per se, one like me might enjoy making virtual boose and stocking his cellars with it for god knows which reason, but beyond that there is not much virtual practical use(yeah i know it sounds like oxymoron) to person producing it or anyone else. Wurm is very big pond but yet very shallow and extremly unbalanced PVE game. Speaking to just pve aspect of it because that concerns me most, feel free t extend story to pvp, this post is for your opinions and thoughts on the subject. There are so much to cover so will try to do brief overview on some stuff.

For example like i said beverages and producing alcohols in Wurm. Alcohols are convinient for storage without decay, ability to age some of them is super cool(although still cant get why mead doesnt age like it should). But timer affinities you get from them are ridiculous compared to effort to make them, number of affinities variants are extremly small. Speaking of affinities Full house pizza rules them all, and there is no reason to use anything else beside them, so booze needs some other use. Ofc you can get drunk to increase hardness of grind for skill, but with out any visual help on how much you're drunk at moment, for how long, sipping drinks while grinding all the time is anoying micromenagment. Not sure how much people use this, skills i find need for it are metalurgy on which it works but it's pain and chanelling on which i think it doesnt work...

Alcohols brings out another useless thing and that are bees, you simply don't need honey for anything, wax is usefull for sealing kits but honey, nope, it's fun to collect it, thanks god it doesn't decay but can't use it for anything, like i said full house pizzas are only food you need to make so cooking is out, mead is one of worsts alcohols, doesn't age, number of possible affinities equal to types of non fruit wood scraps so not much but combined with other booze and some new on condition affinities don't overlap would be ok. They don't effect on fruit trees they polenate, myth is they help with crops maybe but that seems negliaglable to want to keep them on your farm..

Chicken coop, rooster and eggs, again totaly useless, have to refresh seeds constantly for bunch of chickens to get bunch of eggs which serve for nothing. Roosters are not needed for fertile eggs, heck cant even be loaded into coop, takes too long for eggs to hatch, one can argue that's more affordable to keep them out of coop and put grass on piles if you wanna keep them for some weird reason..

Cows, other milking animals, milk and chesse once again not much point in doing it. Can't milk horses, even though some stuff can be made from horse milk, there are no goats, and making cheese as optional ingridient in full house pizza is not much worth unless i'm mistaken...thanks god it can atleast be stored in fsb if you wanna make it for some reason.

Champion animals, aside from some extra fight skill no point i them, they butcher for same amount of meat, you don't get anything special for them..

Got tired of writting examples, you get the point i hope. What are your thougts? What else do you find useless in Wurm? Do you think this should be changed and improved and how?

• Like 3

There are some things that sadly cant be said on this forum because they would lead to post deletion so not counting those, id say the only thing that really is useless to in my eyes is the removal of yoyo's giving mind speed and thus making yoyo's useless everything else in wurm really does serve some purpose no matter how small or big it is but making a grinding yoyo to get max yoyo tricks used to be a worthy undertaking worth quite a bit of silver but we lost that mind speed grind and now we got a bunch more puppets for it in return 😕

Oh oh i know 1 more thing the whip of one the unfinished feature that has its entity deleted in normal wurm but code still exists server side for it some say it was part of a skill that never got added some others are saying that it was going to be a lib only item or artifact that single item id say would have to be the most useless thing in wurm :P

• Like 3

There are a couple of things that come to mind. Large saddles, puppets, and all the traps are pretty much useless in wurm.

• Like 1

I write this comment for players like myself but understand that other players will play Wurm for completely different reasons and totally respect those reasons..

I understand completely what Kochinac is talking about here and there is no doubt that there are things that you can make that give you nothing back in return.

Except

a) For many people the fact that something can be created is all that they require to set about making it. Their next task is maybe to make a 'rare' of that item to complete a table set of rares (for example).

b) Some people simply prefer to 'escape' into Wurm, potter around and simply browse through the wiki and make something that they have never done before. This immersion (I feel) is a very important part of Wurm and helps contribute to the uniqueness of the game experience.

c) Cooking can give a skilled player a lot back- perhaps more than most skills- however, for some it is the challenge of discovering more recipes that outweighs any skill bonus. I do agree that it would be nice for the creation of beverages to be able to give longer skill bonus but it may just be that I am not yet skilled enough. 

I could go on but I guess my point is that Wurm for me is simply the enjoyment of the lands and its people, the ability to enjoy an amazing range of skills and create a deed that once simply existed in my imagination. For what it costs me every month to play I consider it money well spent and for me, every item that I can create has it own use to enhance the overall experience.  If a player considers an item to be 'useless' then they surely have the option not to make said item?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nukacola said:

Large saddles

bring back dominating uniques

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spolmit said:

I write this comment for players like myself but understand that other players will play Wurm for completely different reasons and totally respect those reasons..

I understand completely what Kochinac is talking about here and there is no doubt that there are things that you can make that give you nothing back in return.

Except

a) For many people the fact that something can be created is all that they require to set about making it. Their next task is maybe to make a 'rare' of that item to complete a table set of rares (for example).

b) Some people simply prefer to 'escape' into Wurm, potter around and simply browse through the wiki and make something that they have never done before. This immersion (I feel) is a very important part of Wurm and helps contribute to the uniqueness of the game experience.

c) Cooking can give a skilled player a lot back- perhaps more than most skills- however, for some it is the challenge of discovering more recipes that outweighs any skill bonus. I do agree that it would be nice for the creation of beverages to be able to give longer skill bonus but it may just be that I am not yet skilled enough. 

I could go on but I guess my point is that Wurm for me is simply the enjoyment of the lands and its people, the ability to enjoy an amazing range of skills and create a deed that once simply existed in my imagination. For what it costs me every month to play I consider it money well spent and for me, every item that I can create has it own use to enhance the overall experience.  If a player considers an item to be 'useless' then they surely have the option not to make said item?

I agree with that too. Heck it's a game, items are virtual searching for usefulness is like I said kinda oxymoron. For some people keeping 20 cows and milking them everyday is enough and keeps them happy weater they spill milk imidiatly, let it spoil or seal in barells and never unseal again... Because maybe that person lives in appartmen in cramped city and Wurm is only way.  But one of my points is that skills in Wurm are very unbalanced with lot of them being loose knots and dead ends, which can be frustrated for people who love those skills. Blacksmith is extremely useful, can create large variety of tools usefull to him and others, well maybe not that much since everyone is blacksmith but maybe that wouldn't be the case if other skills are more usefull, cheesemaker on the other hand is condemned to uselessness in social aspect, his skills are not needed by anyone, only reason someone has that skill is his own pleasure which is not always enough to motivate... Wurm is a system, a bunch of systems that work together, and unbalanced and inconsistent systems triggers my OCD and annoy me.

• Like 1

Retro's Stream

Vynora priests + PvP

Medium Bows

Washing bowls

Cogs

That's about all I can think of.

• Like 6

Mini tokens. 

• Collection of 1 or 2 - interesting
  • Collection of 1000 to 2000 and still increasing rapidly - awkward
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Muse said:

Mini tokens. 

• Collection of 1 or 2 - interesting
  • Collection of 1000 to 2000 and still increasing rapidly - awkward

I'd be glad if we could smelt them for little amounts of metals

• Like 2

Wishing Wells are integral to the Wurm Online experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chakron said:

Wishing Wells are integral to the Wurm Online experience.

Dude just drop a gold coin in one and you'll see what happens.

• Like 4

tl;dr, pls use paragraphs that's some serious eye violation..

I'd post a meme.. but all are quite harsh (google, you'll see why I didn't)

--edit

#holywalloftext #quotes

we could.... get moods and need puppeteering shows to cheer up.. for whatever reasons.. and get reasons to drink.. play with yoyos, get actual alcohol addictions if we cure moods with that.... but.... I DO NOT think I want to play a high maintenance nerve management on a sim, **** that IMO.

Some skills have no use, fact.. puppeteering shows could be giving self or crowd a small buff or random sort.. that quickly could be abused by alt hoarders spamming shows in a circle**** to get full screen of buff icons... we cant have nice things with alts for that reason... we could limit that to only prem chars.. but it's still possible for some.. we can limit it to only stacking 1-3 buffs at a time.. which brings some sane-er borders to a random bonus skill and action..

seems like we just got a use for this one...

alcohol... we could get blending and mixing of such to produce coctails and consuming them could have a small chance to give you 24hour buff on some skill.. or nerf you on some... SOUNDS *******  ******** FUN, doesn't it?

it is way too easy to produce and store/hoard incredibly large amounts of this... is that bad? should we get ability to get more than 1 good and 1 bad effect, and for how long?

--to answer a few..

there's no 'official' list of skills there alcohol works to help you.. or not..;

for the skills where it helps - you figure on your own.. how soon you need to drink again.. it's just all guess work and a timer for the fading effect it's a timer, for the getting drunk and ranks.. it takes the guesses as ql/amount/and type of drink + your current rank value are all 'random numbers' you need to take into account - takes practice and some knowledge of it all(btw spoiler alert.. ***** maybe saying that too late for some, well, enjoy the free gems)

reason for pizza to be op af compared to soda and lemonade.. is ... we had a nutty cook with untied hands and nobody to check what's cooking.... I am glad beverages isn't such 'complicated' science, it could have been that obnoxious.

cooking is not hard or anything..but the amount of time it takes to do the math and mix things, prepare bits etc.. is just crazy.. I can whip IRL sammich faster than cooking a buff pizza in a game.. that is stupid, sure that pizza lasts for a long time for 1 person but.. it's not fun to do it unless you love cooking, and you probably get my standing(no hate, just an opinion for the time it takes)

hives/bees have other purpose actually.. as I'd call main use.. sealing kits are annoying to make and re/use at in general with the damage /ql loss (#IMO), mead is the laziest alcohol to make to get drunk, and done right.. once you scale the amount and placement of hives.. you can get more than you could ever use honestly. The idea to help forestry in some way.. I LIKE THAT; they could also work as spawning/expanding existing flower tiles I guess... rather not suggest forestry upgrade, but sure there's unexplored field.

roosters are useless FULLSTOP #WOGIC; fun fact weren't these we got as colored versions? *shrugs* still haven't seen 1

coops are derp-ish.. ql of eggs = ql of coops to give incentive to FC players, ql of coops also rules how many hens you can get in.. eggs do hatch slow.. and most are roosters or hatch nothing from what I've heard;

cherry on top is the amount of grains that the hens consume and how tedious and repetitive is to refill the water and food in these.., if you cook and use a lot of eggs it's a must... but else... decorative with a slight desperate need to tend to something... the more hens you have in a coop - the more often you have to check on them and restock water/food.. I just can't.. (the amount of tending here could use a boost and maybe ql80-90 can give a +10ql to eggs to make it a bit more sane.. can't think of a **********(don't have a word for such stupidity) to improve a coop to ql99.. or several, sure the gains from hives and coops are amazing.. for fc.. but this is just too much effort to get ql99 eggs.. with current mechanic in the game;

missed to mention.. hens in coops are immortal, they do not age;

Milk/cheese.. side skill for just dairy products and the 2 skills or ingredient variety for pizzas.. besides that.. I'd not bother.. just have a stock of low ql of these and using it.. not really bothering to make use of it personally.. it's just 2 side skills most never need, unless they make affinity pizza with kawo's calculator(without that thing.. pizza content is nearly useless - with it takes a lot of time to make one.. without it... pfffff can't imagine the game, we'll be back at spreadsheets); ah yea.. idk never heard of milking horses.. rather not google, but not planning to await such content, must be something local or not that common practice..

champ creatures could use a few rare drops to have or butcher from them as trophies ... but.. we'd just hoard more of that around, nothing really useful in the end, but.. could have a semi good shield, skull, weapon of some unique sort to loot, uniques have some of that.. but we know how common they are and how many get to have such.. it's close to challenge rewards.

Edited by Finnn

11 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

bring back dominating uniques

champ mounts...

but if they have op perks like fight with you or speed.. why would you ever use a horse? to pull a cart with crates only? turns the game into wurm-ark

'corns are useless w/o proper skill and nerves to use such, same for hellhorses.. bunch of ppl don't even know they can rune to lower age.. and most of these who know can't bother using runes on such... dead content, we're left with few having fun using 2x speed creatures at the cost of bit more skill or nerves to utilize the additionally tedious management of these.

10 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Washing bowls

Cogs

That's about all I can think of.

cogs... lol.. yea.. I can't find a reason to finish mine.. other than.. I haven't finished one of these. .. how you call them............ boats; no plans to ever use it INDEED

main reason for the quote.. we missed the chance to get buff from washing hands in such bowls.. -.- that sure was going to be annoying to transfer from RL to game.. with or w/o a buff or nerf.. but... it's purpose is .. pretty much being a decoration, works well, birdcages have no purpose, no sound, no animation, just a hen.. can't even trap a goblin inside.. boring item.

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

reason for pizza to be op af compared to soda and lemonade.. is ... we had a nutty cook with untied hands and nobody to check what's cooking.... I am glad beverages isn't such 'complicated' science, it could have been that obnoxious.

cooking is not hard or anything..but the amount of time it takes to do the math and mix things, prepare bits etc.. is just crazy.. I can whip IRL sammich faster than cooking a buff pizza in a game.. that is stupid, sure that pizza lasts for a long time for 1 person but.. it's not fun to do it unless you love cooking, and you probably get my standing(no hate, just an opinion for the time it takes)

I actually like diversity and uniformity pizzas give when making affinity food. Once you're setup and cracked the system it's fairly easy, at least it pays of to put effort to get 17kg of 14h aff food, storing all affinities you need is pain on the other hand, would definetly not like to see that nerfed. thing is that it makes other foods and aspect of cooking just purely decorative. Cooking update although it's fun had to much flaws and left a lot of loose ends, it's not cohersive system which is a pity.

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

Milk/cheese.. side skill for just dairy products and the 2 skills or ingredient variety for pizzas.. besides that.. I'd not bother.. just have a stock of low ql of these and using it.. not really bothering to make use of it personally.. it's just 2 side skills most never need, unless they make affinity pizza with kawo's calculator(without that thing.. pizza content is nearly useless - with it takes a lot of time to make one.. without it... pfffff can't imagine the game, we'll be back at spreadsheets); ah yea.. idk never heard of milking horses.. rather not google, but not planning to await such content, must be something local or not that common practice..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_milk

Its fairly common among nomad steppe peoples, even used to make alcohol drink called kumis

The following skills have little to no real utility (in PvE at least):

Tracking

Prayer

Firemaking

Exorcism

Weapon heads smithing

The ENTIRE thievery tree

The ENTIRE toys tree

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The following skills have little to no real utility (in PvE at least):

Tracking

Prayer

Firemaking

Exorcism

Weapon heads smithing

The ENTIRE thievery tree

The ENTIRE toys tree

Only utility for Pve I see is lockpicking when you're exploring and some dumbass made a gate to the only path up a mountain or through a pass, that would normally save you 10 mins of riding around said mountain. Lockpicking for 24 seconds is way faster. And past that gate? Nothing. Just a stupid gate.

I agree with the rest, a lot of skills exist just to exist. I still don't know what trebuchet skill does or catapults. Increases damage? Not likely. To be honest, looking back, most things in Wurm are pretty useless. Besides tools , weps and armor, most stuff is just there. Maybe I'm too much of a pragmatist in my mindset these days but I really don't see any utility in some items other than "we have more important things to do than fix them". Keep in mind, decorations are useful since aesthetics is a utility in itself, if it gives pleasure to the beholder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elentari said:

Only utility for Pve I see is lockpicking when you're exploring and some dumbass made a gate to the only path up a mountain or through a pass, that would normally save you 10 mins of riding around said mountain. Lockpicking for 24 seconds is way faster. And past that gate? Nothing. Just a stupid gate.

Lockpicking
A ) Lockpicking anything that does not belong to you is not permitted.
Punishment: You may be warned, or banned based on the situation.

You would need to bash it....

3 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Lockpicking
A ) Lockpicking anything that does not belong to you is not permitted.
Punishment: You may be warned, or banned based on the situation.

You would need to bash it....

Which is another thing, quite uselles rules.... That rule should be seriously revised. Like @elentari said, lockpicking is sometimes pretty efective way to get out  of some dumbass situation, like falling into mine that is locked with gate, or bypassing some obstacle in dificult road. If you can bash it why cant you lock pick it since you have skill, it's not that every noob can lockpick gates with very good locks on them. At very least, it should be impossible to lock pick gates on pve like chest and stuff instead of imposing such rules, that's just lazy from developers and insulting... My opinion is that most stuff should be fair game ofdeed (not wagons and boats your travelling with and stopping for the night ofc for example)