Sign in to follow this  
stickher

Wurm online coming to steam

When ? No but seriously any update on a planned release date. Getting impatient and really just want to play already.

think they said Q2 so June, July, hopefully we get a more set date soon though

I doubt they will move forward with the Steam release until they have solved the hosting issues.

Three epochs and a fortnight to go till launch. Give or take a Roman noodle.

• Like 1
  • Cat 2

What strikes me about the steam page is that it says it was released in Dec, 12, 2012. This is pretty much a dead giveaway to the people that never heard of wurm, that wurm is an old game and might not even give it a chance just because of that fact.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179680/Wurm_Online/

Edited by Nukacola
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 9:25 PM, Nukacola said:

What strikes me about the steam page is that it says it was released in Dec, 12, 2012. This is pretty much a dead giveaway to the people that never heard of wurm, that wurm is an old game and might not even give it a chance just because of that fact.

Yep, the wrong date is definitely going to tip them off as Wurm being dated. Not the screenshots or anything.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 5:25 AM, Nukacola said:

From what I remember, It had the 2006 release date before. They probably had that idea and have already changed it...

Iirc Wurm 1.0 was 2012, and they used that as the date.

It is tough because as a continually updated game. 2006 Wurm shares nothing with 2020 Wurm but the title and core ideas. 

We shifted it to 2012 not because it looked more dated but the mechanics implemented with 1.0 were much closer to what Wurm is today.

• Like 1

Curious why play now instead of wait? What the different playing standard WO than WO Steam???

3 hours ago, Wildelf said:

Curious why play now instead of wait? What the different playing standard WO than WO Steam???

@Retrograde could answer this best, but there really isnt any difference other than being able to download the game via steam rather than the website (can still download from website). To coincide there will be a new PvE (and pvp I think?) server launched that will not be connected to the current servers for who know how long. 

12 minutes ago, Gawain said:

@Retrograde could answer this best, but there really isnt any difference other than being able to download the game via steam rather than the website (can still download from website). To coincide there will be a new PvE (and pvp I think?) server launched that will not be connected to the current servers for who know how long. 

This is correct, @Retrogradehas already confirmed on multiple occasions that regardless of whether you launch the game from Steam or from the current Website client and regardless of whether you choose to play an older server that currently exists or wait for the new servers that are to release at the same time, it is the exact same game.

There will be no differences between them at all.

Steam Release is just another way to launch the game is all, nothing more in the grand scheme of things.

• Cat 1

Ah I see, at first I though it would be another separate server(s) or world(s) compare to the one we are playing atm. Having a new batch so players can start fresh, empty world would be nice. But that would cost x2 of much supporting it. If they don't get enough funds supporting it, it isn't worth it. Running those serves aren't free and I don't think  it is cheap either, vary depending on location and hosting companies.

39 minutes ago, Wildelf said:

Ah I see, at first I though it would be another separate server(s) or world(s) compare to the one we are playing atm. Having a new batch so players can start fresh, empty world would be nice. But that would cost x2 of much supporting it. If they don't get enough funds supporting it, it isn't worth it. Running those serves aren't free and I don't think  it is cheap either, vary depending on location and hosting companies.

There will be a completely new server, separated from the existing servers, when Wurm launches on Steam.

There initially was some discussion on changing the way the game charges people to play. However, your link suggests there is not going to be any differences between "classic Wurm" and "Steam Wurm" regarding costs and monetization. I assume this is a big part of why RMT and traded characters were banned in the current servers.. 

So does this mean the team has pretty much decided, no changes in the monetary costs attached to the game with the steam "version" (not really a version, more of a launcher), regarding subscriptions and deeds and other assorted "costs to play" etc?

Too bad if this is so. It might have helped a lot.  

New 'fresh start" server is still a plus. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Ah I see, I am gonna stay on the old server and planning on staying there forever. Hopefully they don't pull the plug there.

• Like 1