Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

Let us run

So here I am farming.. carrying a lot of stuff and I drag around slowly to next line... but I carry bunch of backpacks with crops etc, and I barely move.... 

Can we get a run feature to let us move faster but drain more stamina?

• Like 4

"Sprint" oh man yes, it would use 2x stam as regular walking but cover 2x more ground than walking.  it would not be able to be used while overweight

43 minutes ago, leander said:

"Sprint" oh man yes, it would use 2x stam as regular walking but cover 2x more ground than walking.  it would not be able to be used while overweight

what you suggest it kind of the opposite of what I initially show as a 'problem' with the above...

I do not think a naked "noob" alt horde running at 40/+ speed is what anybody wants to see

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I do not think a naked "noob" alt horde running at 40/+ speed is what anybody wants to see

oh but now thats all i wanna see, 🤣 but i get it i want a run/ sprint type function attach it to stam drain and give a boost to movement, same with horses and wagons make the speed manageable in some way.

I can't say I imagine a "Run" of any sort being appropriate when you're weighed down.
The whole idea is that you move slower while carrying too much, implementing some way to "tough it out" underneath that weight just doesn't seem right.

I mean, if you're trying to push or pull something yourself in IRL and you get yourself a "running start" at it, you're most likely going to wind up hurting yourself before making any actual progress with the matter in the long run.
You can always stash those backpacks in a small-cart behind you, you'll move faster that way than trying to carry those backpacks on your person. :P

• Like 2

@Zerait's a game..

Tell me IRL you cant carry 2 buckets with water/sand/rocks depending on how much muscle you have.. so.. you are telling me.. you can not speed up at all because they weight you down and you're nailed in a stiff posture that allows you to only drag slowly with the weight you carry? - That's now how it works irl.. I can speed up, I'm sure other can do it as well.

I get that it's kind of stupid to 'run' in wurm when you're weighted.. but it's also stupid to be dumbed down and have no way to speed up at all, irl you can do a few quick steps at the cost of stamina etc..

Nobody past noob days uses small cart.. that's one of the most useless items in the game, it's functionality is obsolete, lg.cart provides anything the small one does + more space and ability to be actually useful later on

the run function when encumbered would only double your speed, it wouldn't be running because encumbered enough, you'd still be slower than lightweight walking.
we have to call it the same thing (running).. because it's the same function.
*rolls eyes*
IRL if yer carrying way too much, u can, double your speed.. tho stopping is usually rather laggy.

I wouldn't worry about newbs racing across the server, they don't have much stamina, running then stopping and waiting then running then stopping and waiting every 30 secs sounds more exhausting than pressing x and sitting back but would still be tactically invaluable without making the game too easy.
If you get clipped, that could disable sprint as it slows down walking.

+1

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Finnn said:

@Zerait's a game..

Tell me IRL you cant carry 2 buckets with water/sand/rocks depending on how much muscle you have.. so.. you are telling me.. you can not speed up at all because they weight you down and you're nailed in a stiff posture that allows you to only drag slowly with the weight you carry? - That's now how it works irl.. I can speed up, I'm sure other can do it as well.

I get that it's kind of stupid to 'run' in wurm when you're weighted.. but it's also stupid to be dumbed down and have no way to speed up at all, irl you can do a few quick steps at the cost of stamina etc..

Nobody past noob days uses small cart.. that's one of the most useless items in the game, it's functionality is obsolete, lg.cart provides anything the small one does + more space and ability to be actually useful later on

As someone who has worked in construction irl off and on since my teenage years a 5 gallon bucket full of rocks or sand is probably close to 70ish pounds. I'd like to see someone "sprint" with one in each hand. I would consider myself pretty stout and walking with a full 5 gallon bucket of sand/water/rock ain't easy lol. My character can carry almost 500kg which is 1100lbs, the current world record deadlift by a human is 500kg and Eddie Hall (said record holder) nearly died from it. Yes this is a game but I believe Rolf said somewhere he would like to keep a hint of realism. Be a good guy and suffer like everyone else and use a cart or horse.

• Like 5

Similar to the stamina drain during climbing, your total weight would affect the rate of stamina loss during sprinting.

This would be practical for the short distances described in the topic, but I don't feel like it would be a convenient way to cover a greater distance.

We can change "speeds" while sailing now, so a similar few running/walking speeds would seem useful.

You can maintain a jog for a good long while, but if you did somehow reach ~40km/h then I expect you would burn out fairly quickly.

🤔🤔 40kmh? Husain Bolt up in here too? Good lord lol 

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

@Zerait's a game..

Then I can only argue "transport your harvest with large cart" then? :P

You're already losing more stamina as you move with a weighted inventory, so that part is already a mechanic.

And our varying speed is already a thing based on how much we're carrying. We already "Run" with an empty/light weight inventory and progressively get slower with the more we carry.

I just personally don't feel we need a "Run Button" as a "running/speed function" is already there, it just doesn't quite provide a "weighted boost" of digging your heels into the ground as you grunt along with heavy backpacks and buckets.

I find myself using a Small Cart quite often actually. It helps me keep my dirt nearby when terraforming larger areas, carrying the bricks I need for large area fencing and farming..
So to say that no one uses it and that it's useless is incorrect.
In fact I never use it early game and only after I've settled in somewhere.

And if we always used the argument of "It's a game", give me airplanes\flying machines too 😜
This argument is always so abused and overused.

Edited by Zera
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Finnn said:

Tell me IRL you cant carry 2 buckets with water/sand/rocks depending on how much muscle you have.. so.. you are telling me.. you can not speed up at all because they weight you down

yes!  Exactly this.  I go down to the lake with a pair of 5 gallon buckets to get water (in winter) for the toilets (for flushing).  I can run down with empties, but when full, I can't run back.  I can only walk slowly back.  However, I could walk Faster if I really pushed myself, but I would end up splashing water all over myself and the ground.  It would be a big fail to attempt going fast.

So maybe add sprint, but for every second of sprinting, you have some inventory loss?  JK.  Nobody wants to have that feature! 

Reality is, I want to have go faster options ALL THE TIME.  Anything that can make the game faster is fine by me.  In WU, with mods, we can farm from our carts.  Impractical in RL it would seem, but then look at any modern farm.  They are farming from vehicles.  So not really such a big stretch after all.  Farming in WO is one of my least favorite things.  Farming in WU, I do all the time, because the biggest hassle is gone.

When you get up in the morning, think about logging into your game and if that game makes you heave a sigh, because of the mind numbing slow chores you have to do, it is entirely worth considering some QoL improvements. 

• Like 1

in the spirit of humor i went on a search for "bucket run" on google after looking at a few nautical sailing races pages, i move to images and was instantly greeted with 

SPARTAN RACE BUCKET CARRY a race in which people run carrying what is obviously a bucket full of rocks whilst traversing a section of a endurance race, see image below

NpYjq4F.jpg

so ergo people do run with buckets full or rocks, sand, and/or water IRL....

• Like 1

oh lawd all the big boi power people are gonna be sprinting around holding 630kg of gear, i'm fencing off SW cele

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Meldichoir said:

Similar to the stamina drain during climbing, your total weight would affect the rate of stamina loss during sprinting.

This would be practical for the short distances described in the topic, but I don't feel like it would be a convenient way to cover a greater distance.

We can change "speeds" while sailing now, so a similar few running/walking speeds would seem useful.

You can maintain a jog for a good long while, but if you did somehow reach ~40km/h then I expect you would burn out fairly quickly.

I agree to most of this, except .. 40km/h is WAY BEYOND requested.. we're(I am) talking about the dragging at 1-2-5k/h.. to get a 5-10-20km/h speed at a greater stamina cost.. nothing a naked noob can't do.

There can be a cap to that skill so no matter how much you carry.. it can be helpful to cross a few tiles quicker as the cost of some stamina  or temporarily nerf char's statistics at higher levels when carrying more stuff to cause the need of the feature.. but completely useless for naked starters using to scout areas(because of the speed cap). 

Idea is.. in plenty of games.. you have a dodge/dash(movement) or run/spring feature.. in wurm this is only controlled by the amount of weight you carry.. you can not walk in the game if you carry close to nothing.. you literally always 'sprint around', compared to.. well the opposite situation - whoever carries bunch of tools and builds a lot, just carries a lot already most of the time.. these players are always stuck with a slow movement speed, game itself is slow and un-fun to bear with.

Look at these people GO... spartan bucket carry training, it's a whole thing, also look what they do... they walk fast.. and eventually stop to rest, looks like it is possible ...and quite like the idea in op.

• Like 1

Conversely, I think running should be allowed when NOT weighed down. IRL, you can't sprint with a massive load, but you can "burst" a brief quick walk.

Allow a +80% of walking speed with a +100% stamina drain.  When you are not overloaded it would equate to a short sprint, and when you loaded down it would mean a short burst of near-normal walking speed.

I ran in full gear in Afghanistan. It is possible, and it drains you very quickly.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, armyskin said:

I ran in full gear in Afghanistan. It is possible, and it drains you very quickly.

thank you for your service,  and that is one of the best examples.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, Steveleeb said:

IRL if yer carrying way too much, u can, double your speed.. tho stopping is usually rather laggy.

😅

• Like 1

Cap running based on total stamina skill. Say for example at 40 stamina you could sprint for 15 minutes per 24 hours.

Running/sprinting would have double stamina drain but +50% speed increase = 26-27 km/ph.

Max weight load should be based on current formula for body strength inventory capacity.

It's another one of those features I keep see popping up in discussion for years, but never implemented. In real life, if a troll would chase you, even if you would be unfit physically, the adrenaline alone would allow you to run faster than 11 km/ph.

5 hours ago, elentari said:

Cap running based on total stamina skill. Say for example at 40 stamina you could sprint for 15 minutes per 24 hours.

Running/sprinting would have double stamina drain but +50% speed increase = 26-27 km/ph.

Max weight load should be based on current formula for body strength inventory capacity.

It's another one of those features I keep see popping up in discussion for years, but never implemented. In real life, if a troll would chase you, even if you would be unfit physically, the adrenaline alone would allow you to run faster than 11 km/ph.

Path abilities arent that but because they have a huge cd, pok's ability to get-info is useless now, some.. might be too op to have a lowered timer... maybe

But this is not super special ability.. unsure why you should be able to do basic cardio only once a day? o.0....................

especially in a game where if you get low on stamina and your gear sucks.. you cant outrun anything that chases to kill you, without a mount you're dead if you want to skip a fight.. or your death and you gear doesn't allow you to murder the enemy/ies

I'm strongly against any boost to newbs.. or naked ppl.. they already can reach 20-30/+ speed... if you want to recon an area.. make an alt and run around naked, gear etc is pointless to grind.. just be a clone, sadly how game is..

Might need to make changes to gravity first. I can see a lot of people running down 23 slope paths and taking fall damage. That said I would very much like a sprint skill.

I imagine it like last ghasp, but on land. Must... reach... FSB.