Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 30/APR/20

Recommended Posts

On 5/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, Retrograde said:

The goal of these changes is to remove the reliance on priests and counter the spell-spam meta that is currently dominant. We want to reduce the number of priests needed in a fight to be viable, and as such have reduced the spell-spam effects. 

As we continue to work on the game, make adjustments and correct bugs, there are times in which spells and priests will be affected. While we will always take transfers into account when performing large overhauls, small balances such as these are not going to be viable to receive a transfer option.

Before the priest overhaul, only heal could be cast while on moving vehicles. Unfortunately, the change led to spam-casting cure wounds by multiple people by directly targetting the body. 

Healing resistance is designed to reduce the effectiveness of healing in protracted fights. The current resistance does not increase fast enough to play any tactical role, and as such, we have increased the rate in which it grows. Please note, this change does not increase healing resistance for enchants like Life Transfer but does affect spells like Scorns healing.

 

The lack of a tangible cooldown on Tangleweave further promoted the priest-heavy meta, allowing multiple priests to shut down the enemy team. We have added this cooldown to create a more tactical use of it, but we're going to be seeing how this plays out and adjust if necessary. 

All armour types now have a 20% glance rate against poison damage. This makes poison the only enchant effective against all armour types equally at the lowest rate of other damage types.

We're aware that this limits Vynora's viability in PvP and we're open to looking at her and adjusting if necessary as well. 

 

Only one thing to say - as a non-pvp player -


THIS should have been posted BEFORE the patchnotes were posted, not AFTER!

 

Imagine you're walking into your favorite bar, ordering your favorite brand of beer and the bar tender tells you it's no longer being sold, because "someone" considered it having too much hops into it.
I'm pretty damn sure you'd be upset, to say the least.

 

Yet, for this game, things like these happen all the time.

 

And I'm asking you, WHY??

 

 

Thorin :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, DevBlog said:
  • Change: Tangleweave changes as listed below:
    • Cooldown increased to 5 mins
    • Favour cost doubled to 30
    • Cast time increased to 7 seconds
  • Change: Added a low glance rate bonus to all armour against poison.
    • It now has a low glance rate but is still consistent and low across all armour types equally
  • PVP Change:  Healing has been changed in the following ways:
    • Cure light/medium/severe are only cast-able on wounds, not the body directly when the caster is riding a vehicle on PvP servers only
    • Heal spells on PvP servers now increase resistance at 150% the normal rate

 

Wow.

 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Retrograde said:

The goal of these changes is to remove the reliance on priests and counter the spell-spam meta that is currently dominant. We want to reduce the number of priests needed in a fight to be viable, and as such have reduced the spell-spam effects.

The lack of a tangible cooldown on Tangleweave further promoted the priest-heavy meta, allowing multiple priests to shut down the enemy team. We have added this cooldown to create a more tactical use of it, but we're going to be seeing how this plays out and adjust if necessary. 

 

> Want to make the game less spell-spam.

> Nerf the counter-spell.

> ???

 

This makes literally no sense. If the goal was to make it less spell-spam, buff/improve Tangleweave. Don't nerf it. This change exacerbates the issue you're claiming to want to solve. Now people will be able to spell spam with indifference. Any spell with a cast time below 7 seconds is now unable to be countered.

 

The cooldown change is fine to try. It prevents overwhelming forces from shutting down the effectiveness of priests on the other side. I can get behind that. The favor cost and cast time increase is overkill nerfs.

 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Retrograde said:

Before the priest overhaul, only heal could be cast while on moving vehicles. Unfortunately, the change led to spam-casting cure wounds by multiple people by directly targetting the body.

Healing resistance is designed to reduce the effectiveness of healing in protracted fights. The current resistance does not increase fast enough to play any tactical role, and as such, we have increased the rate in which it grows. Please note, this change does not increase healing resistance for enchants like Life Transfer but does affect spells like Scorns healing.

 

So instead of balancing around people using spells on in-game models you're instead forcing them to open up the character menu and interact with user interfaces during combat instead of targeting players. This is immediately after the new UI changes where you're allowing dragging a 3D item on the ground into a nearby container. The change was made specifically so people could focus on the 3D world and their combat log to fight instead of having to sort through janky menus and sub-menus. It's one thing if it's too strong - tackle that aspect of it. However, this instead just reverts a QoL feature and creates an inconsistency due to the new UI changes. Why can you drag an item to a container in the world, but not cast a spell on a player in the world? That just makes the game less appealing to play. This completely ignores the fact that a moving vehicle with ping/lagg introduced can easily force a character menu shut at random intervals due to client-server desync. This is a direct nerf to anyone who plays on high ping, making it significantly more difficult for them to heal their allies. There's so many things wrong with this change and it would've been better to tackle it in literally any other way.

 

Furthermore, healing resistance being adjusted on PvP is one thing. I was actually totally fine with healing resistance increasing faster on PvP servers since it was originally designed to prevent PvE exploits. However, now you're saying that it will work inconsistently between enchants and spells? Why would that be the case? It should affect everything equally. Life Transfer shouldn't get special treatment over Scorn of Libila or Light of Fo. This is just another asterisk to put on a mechanic in the game which serves no purpose.

 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:36 PM, Retrograde said:

All armour types now have a 20% glance rate against poison damage. This makes poison the only enchant effective against all armour types equally at the lowest rate of other damage types.

We're aware that this limits Vynora's viability in PvP and we're open to looking at her and adjusting if necessary as well. 

 

Clearly nobody thought about how this would affect people who actually enjoyed Venom as an enchant. The whole reason for Venom/poison to have no glance rate was because it feels better and reduces RNG during combat. Even though it was less damage, making sure that nothing could glance your attacks just felt good. No longer would you swing 5 times in a row and get glanced every time. You would hit for less, but hit more often.

 

Now, it would be one thing if there was some problem where Venom was dealing the most damage and thus overpowered. However, that wasn't the case because the other enchants applied a significant damage bonus whereas Venom had none. You traded raw damage per hit for more consistent hits.

 

So instead of keeping Venom feeling good for those who like it you just end up returning the one combat mechanic they were trying to avoid and shove it straight back in their face without warning. Nice. Anyone with a Venom weapon they invested in is probably quite upset, and rightfully so. This change is nonsense and should be reverted outright. Even adjusting Venom to have a 20% damage bonus to counteract would not remedy this change. A unique enchant which changed how combat felt in a positive way was nerfed to obsolete, and it wasn't even the best enchant.

  • Like 25
  • Cat 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sindusk said:

So instead of keeping Venom feeling good for those who like it you just end up returning the one combat mechanic they were trying to avoid and shove it straight back in their face without warning. Nice. Anyone with a Venom weapon they invested in is probably quite upset, and rightfully so. This change is nonsense and should be reverted outright. Even adjusting Venom to have a 20% damage bonus to counteract would not remedy this change. A unique enchant which changed how combat felt in a positive way was nerfed to obsolete, and it wasn't even the best enchant.

At this point I'm not even considering moving away from venom. Not because it's good, but because I cannot be bothered anymore with sudden changes that just happen. I'm exhausted of this crap.

  • Like 8
  • Cat 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot see a single benefit of nerfing healing. Like Retro says, back in the days you couldn't target the body to heal. You know what else happened back in the days? Boat Captains could easily regain stamina, there were no healing debuffs, and there could be multiple Fo champs on the same boat, among other things.

 

You are mixing the inability of a boat Captain to survive a fight now with the inability to properly heal said Captain during a fight. This is ridiculous. You are ruining boat fights.

 

I won't even comment on how this ninja patch came to be, given how suspicious it looks considering it was not discussed with the community at large, but with a very small group of people who are not representative of the community. 2 out of the 3 currently prevailing kingdoms are telling you this is dumb. 

 

You should rethink this change.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can we get any answers from the CZvkSiW.png ? Or is he not interested in relating with the community

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys is it 1 month until this supposed Steam release?

 

 

Thinking about making a freedom village, anyone wanna join?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Vomusu said:

So can we get any answers from the CZvkSiW.png ? Or is he not interested in relating with the community

 

As far as I know, there will be a PvP discussion thread coming shortly. Just hang tight! Sorry for the delayed response.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joelle said:

 

As far as I know, there will be a PvP discussion thread coming shortly. Just hang tight! Sorry for the delayed response.

wrong order, discussion should be first.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this