Sign in to follow this  
Oblivionnreaver

random affinities from traders

Have to disagree here too.

Get some in pvp! :)

8 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Same as buying skills with coin.

can just buy 5+ years of premium then spam affinities though, same thing

Not the same thing at all. Buying premium doesn't guarantee you any kind of affinity and it is not any kind of numbers game(I have gotten only 2 affinities since the new system was introduced), paying X amount to a trader does guarantee you an affinity.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpiie said:

Not the same thing at all. Buying premium doesn't guarantee you any kind of affinity and it is not any kind of numbers game(I have gotten only 2 affinities since the new system was introduced), paying X amount to a trader does guarantee you an affinity.

Think he was suggesting that you could purchase prem and use the loyalty rewards system to get affinities. Either way there's technically an exchange of money for affinities.

• Like 1

+1 untill i see a better arguemnt then "get some in pvp" and "it's pay to win or buying skill". You can pretty much buy them right now with premium, also you can literaly buy cooking skills for money and not to mention the 2s alts years of abuse for affinity

On 4/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, Tor said:

it's pay to win or buying skill".

That is literally the counter argument. If wurm becomes fully pay2win then its spirit is dead and I'll have no interest in it. If you really need better arguments than that, perhaps "money" shouldn't be the reason to play games, unless you prefer the e-sports competitive arena, like Starcraft 2, which is an entirely different topic.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:24 AM, Shrimpiie said:

Same as buying skills with coin.

yup..

nope

On 4/28/2020 at 8:29 AM, elentari said:

That is literally the counter argument. If wurm becomes fully pay2win then its spirit is dead and I'll have no interest in it. If you really need better arguments than that, perhaps "money" shouldn't be the reason to play games, unless you prefer the e-sports competitive arena, like Starcraft 2, which is an entirely different topic.

I don't really care nor interested personally about the pay to win aspects of this game. I am saying it's pay to win alredy

Edited by Tor

5 hours ago, Tor said:

I don't really care nor interested personally about the pay to win aspects of this game. I am saying it's pay to win alredy

Can you please explain why you feel it's pay to win?

7 minutes ago, elentari said:

Can you please explain why you feel it's pay to win?

Didn't you know that with real money you can buy in game money and then you can buy every single item there is, right out of bat, including some certain skills, you can pay someone to do it for you. Would the system stop me from pouring some cash for premium time just to get the points to get whatever i want from them? Like every other whale on the internet would. The same thing is pretty much avalible and disguised as something else

Trading for items in game is normal, as it is in pretty much any mmo. Yes, someone who throws 500 EURO and gets a 90 ql tool set of every kind (enchanted) will definitely have a better starting experience. However, the grind to get skills is still there, a player still has to put work in grinding skills, building, hunting, exploring. You can't buy game knowledge. How fun would the game be for that player in the long run though?

When I first started the game many years ago, I didn't have money nor the willingness to sink euros into a virtual game, so I decided to go for the route of  trading skills for the stuff I needed. I dug clay to get 90 CoC tools for players. I made bricks to get a decent plateset. I didn't sink silvers into the game for a very long time. And to be honest it made every upgrade I had even more fun.

If we take account buying out of the equation, the same argument could be made for any other MMO out there. I could PM a player in Runescape and agree with him via paypal to pay him for items and materials. Same as for any other game.

The question of pay-to-win is defined by "win", what is there to "win" in wurm outside of pvp? Fancy scale armor ? You can easily hunt in plate, as I've done for years. Having 1000 $ in my bank won't magically increase my weaponsmithing to 100. I'm asking what is there to win, outside of pvp, where you can indeed buy advantages in pvp. In pve, you have aesthetics mostly. You can buy statues, hota or arch ones, or some rare cutesy items, but does that qualify as a "win"?

The only situation where I would see Wurm taking the road every other cash grab mmo out there has done is if the cash shop will start selling "skill boosters" . Aka pay 5$ and you get 300% increased skillgain for  <insert skill name here>. Another thing that could turn Wurm into pay to win is if it gated certain activities through pay walls. Aka pay 20 Euros to unlock "Riding a Horse". That would be a shitty decision, but I've seen dozens and dozens of cheap chinese mmos using those tactics.  That would be pay to win. Wurm is all about skills and how you use them.

As for the argument "you can pay someone to grind for you" .... well yeah man...you could do that in every other game you know? It might not be moral, but it's not really an argument that could sustain p2w.  By that logic every game can be turned into p2w. Besides HFC, i can't see many skills other players could grind for you.

Outside of a pvp environment, I am genuinely curious as what could be "pay to win" in wurm?

Edited by elentari

Well, i agree with you for the most. It's the same way i started wurm pretty much, but it doesn't matter. I was mean pay to win as a common used term for games where you can pay real life money for stuff. But, even in competitive games you still have to push the buttons, nothing guaratee you win or fun. I don't agree and can't understand, however, is the statement how this change that never gonna happen will turn wurm into pay to win all of sudden. if anyone wanna throw money, and they are throwing alredy, be my guest