Sign in to follow this  
Amata

ISO player named OfficialWurmViewer

Hi Everyone - I'm trying to find a player named OfficialWurmViewer somewhere on Indy.  We found a horse out in the wild that is "cared for" by OWV and would like to (a) return the horse, or (b) pay a little something for the horse & have OWV stop caring for the animal. (We would prefer option (b) honestly).

Does anyone recognize the name? Is OWV still active? Are you OWV?

Please let me know! 
💜  Amata
currently in Haven's Landing, Indy

Just something I thought you'd like to know, Amata.

Many if not most of the players with more than one good horse tend to have one cared for in their prime character's name, and others cared for by alternate characters the player doesn't tend to keep active.

Try a forum search for the 'OfficialWurmViewer' name and see if any forum posts mention it as an alt in their byline, etc.  That's one way to find the player who likely has control over the horse.

Also, best to keep a venerable animal cared-for by the current character caring for it.  If it's old enough to die on its own, when it's set un-cared-for there's a chance it'll die on the spot before you might have the chance to care for it yourself.  That's why it's declared that taking one of these venerable cared-for animals to another server via animal cages is risky (the animal loses cared-for status the moment it arrives on the other server on your ship).

I'm Zoltan on Independance, up at Fort Buda, if you want to say hi sometime.  I don't have an extra horse at the moment, but if you want to keep in touch I can breed you one or catch a "seahorse" for you.

• Like 2

Hi Zoltan, 
I did do a forum search, but got no results. Not sure if there are any other ways to search usernames or player accounts that I've missed. Tried a search on the wiki, too, but again - no results. 

I was aware of the practice of caring for animals with alts, but was surprised to see a cared for animal just totally randomly out in an area with no structures or fences or any near-by neighbors or any hint of who to lead the animal "home" to. (I'm a little helper-busy-body type, lol)

Thanks for the extra tips about keeping venerable animals! I didn't know that cared for venerable animals can be super delicate like that!! And I didn't know about them losing cared-for status cross servers. 

Fort Buda, huh? Wow you are really up there! I'm planning on heading pretty far north/northeast when I go to settle some land, so yeah, we'll be somewhat close :) What's the big market / happening cross-roads up in the northeast region?  

Just a quick question.

Why do you want to have them stop caring for the animal?  There's a limit to how many you can care for yourself and If they are no longer playing that animal will stay cared for at no cost to you (or them).  It's a freebee.  You know what they say, don't you? Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yeah I just did a Google search and this thread is the only mention I found of the name 'OfficialWurmViewer' as well so no luck with that technique as well.  In the past, when I've found a cared-for useful animal wandering loose, If no one's in Local that might have temporarily left it there I've led it back to my deed to hold and posted a note in the forum for the server. 

I'd note the horse's name and roughly where I found it so if the original owner logs into the forum and sees the character's horse's name in the thread they can contact me to get it back.  I've found some are from players that simply don't play Wurm Online anymore and so were abandoned since the horse won't die of old age or be attacked by predators it lives on.

As for markets near Fort Buda, I'm not aware of much active trade up here.  There are settlements scattered across the north-northeast, but it's not a highly populated area and some come up here to settle for just that reason.  Feel free to explore once you're familiar with the game!

On 4/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, Tristanc said:

... and posted a note in the forum for the server.

Honestly, this is kinda all I really was trying to do. 

And, yeah, Calio is completely correct that from a technical, gameplay mechanics perspective - it's a freebie! ... I guess my wife and I were just coming at it from a more "RP" perspective; she found the horse and simply wanted to bring it home and take it under her care. 

Thanks for all the replies!!