Sign in to follow this  
joseanjim

Seed pouch, an item for farming quality of life

Simply a container, problably made of cotton cloth, that allows to put inside only sowable items, and only one type at once. Then the farmer could activate the seed pouch to sow a dirt tile, and a sowable item from inside is consumed, so a farmer could sow many tiles without the need of activate a seed each time...

Edited by joseanjim
  • Like 4

This already exists.... use satchels.  My priest (farmer) carries a backpack with four satchels inside of it, and the four satchels themselves are bound to my toolbar.  I can press the numbers 1-4 on my keyboard, and the game activates the first item in the satchel.  So I just hover over the next dirt tile, press "1G" to sow from the first bag, then hover the next tile 2G, 3G, 4G, and it queues up 4 sowing actions.

• Like 2

+1 to initial suggestion. Removing clutter is a good thing, regardless of existing workarounds.

• Like 1

Lets be honest here.  This "seed pouch" would hold a maximum of 100 seeds.  

A satchel already does that, but the OP is asking for the added functionality of devs updating the code as not to require activation of a particular seed to sow a field.  

While yes, a single seed pouch would allow for planting a 10x10 farm (normal size for your average wurmian that isn't a crazy farmer like I am, you'll have to reload it several times to plant a larger farm... which is part of the reason I use multiple satchels inside my backpack.

I simply don't see a code re-write for small scale farming to be a productive use of the dev's time.  

There is an argument to be made here for polish.

Why would it need to be limited to 100 seeds?  Why not QL*5 seeds or even QL*10 seeds?

If you limit the type of sowable to one type, you could make it as a "morphing" item (use a seed on it to change type and load one of that seed in; drag it onto a BSB/FSB to empty out; the item then just has an integer attached to it that decreases by 1 each time it is used, when this int reaches 0 it reverts to an empty bag).

Functionality of this sort has other potential uses, herbalists pouches etc.

+1 from me

• Like 2

And, it is time for a great necro! I still want this.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Why would it need to be limited to 100 seeds?  Why not QL*5 seeds or even QL*10 seeds?

Loving this idea.

Having more than 100 items inside would require it to be a bulk container. That seems like a lot of coding trouble to go to, given that the OP's main point was answered by the second poster

I currently use the satchel-toolbelt workaround and while that's slightly better it's still tedious. I'd much rather have a seed pouch as suggested.

+1 yeah using toolbelt + satchels is too tedious still, would be great improvement no matter what some people say

• Like 3

love this. would be nice for it to work with planting planters as well.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, Odinstardew said:

love this. would be nice for it to work with planting planters as well.

Didn't even think about that! Planter pottery planters would be great!