Sign in to follow this  
TheTrickster

One-person bridge planning/building for small spans

Given the tech level around Wurm in general surely there should be a simple bridge that could be built by a single individual.  Realistically speaking,  a gap that is only up to a few paces across could be bridged without needing a survey team. 

For example, a couple of logs and a bunch of planks and you have a crude footbridge, handrails optional (basic any wood-based fence would do).  A couple of rafts tied together with a couple of beams would make a rough bridge, too.  Tied together with rope and you have a pontoon bridge.

Sure, some bridges are major works (I "live" near the Harvestmoon stone arches, and that certainly counts) but Wurm's wee bridges are over-engineered.  A 12y.o. me could bridge 4-5 m gulleys by up ending a few logs and dropping the high end across the gap. They were't pretty, but they were pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

iirc, WU got the option to plant the pole and do it alone, could be the same here for the small gaps (maybe up to 3-5 tiles). While logging an alt in and using it to hold the pole is a common trick for us old players... with the steam, release a bit of QoL update, for the new players would be nice.

• Like 3

Ehm..... everyone can run 2 Clients.... everyone can make a Alt...

It is zero effort doing so.

The fix would be almost zero effort - apparently it was already fixed in WU so the range pole could be planted, so it seems a very easy fix.

An in-game mechanic that requires the creation of an alt (discouraged or outright banned in a lot of games) is fundamentally flawed.  Being required to create a throw-away character, who then has to either apply to my mayor for citizenship to get a teleport or has to manage a journey involving a server crossing, to build a 1-tile ramp (which is itself a work around to create a flight of stairs outside a building) is, frankly, ridiculous.  Just because others have gotten used to alting to work this game doesn't mean it is a good mechanic. 

Edited by TheTrickster
removed snark
  • Like 3

I have no objection to this, particularly for short bridges. Letting someone solo-build their housing connections seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

The fix would be almost zero effort - apparently it was already fixed in WU so the range pole could be planted, so it seems a very easy fix.

An in-game mechanic that requires the creation of an alt (discouraged or outright banned in a lot of games) is fundamentally flawed.  Being required to create a throw-away character, who then has to either apply to my mayor for citizenship to get a teleport or has to manage a journey involving a server crossing, to build a 1-tile ramp (which is itself a work around to create a flight of stairs outside a building) is, frankly, ridiculous.  Just because others have gotten used to alting to work this game doesn't mean it is a good mechanic. 

You know, the Mayor can help you plan.

20 minutes ago, Cecci said:

You know, the Mayor can help you plan.

Telling me who else can help me does nothing to address my request to be able to do it myself.  Apart from anything else,  I have been online at the same time as my mayor maybe once in the last month.

i got a span of 20 tiles across water to build bridge across a large inlet cove was wanting help as cant do alone did all the roads leading to both sides ,the other day someone has put a sand walkway all across the area to get to clay on other side, destroyed all my bridge readyness and the players who live in  the cove cant get there big boats out now ,if this mech was available id have done the bridge now theres a big digout across todo ,wish the guy just used a boat togo across instead of destroying someones work for a bit of clay

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, christopher said:

i got a span of 20 tiles across water to build bridge across a large inlet cove was wanting help as cant do alone did all the roads leading to both sides ,the other day someone has put a sand walkway all across the area to get to clay on other side, destroyed all my bridge readyness and the players who live in  the cove cant get there big boats out now ,if this mech was available id have done the bridge now theres a big digout across todo ,wish the guy just used a boat togo across instead of destroying someones work for a bit of clay

You also could just make a 2. Character to hold the Pole, takes 5min to create and invite and teleport to your Deed.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, TheTrickster said:

DITTO

I would prefer they fix stairs so they can be built outside a house but this is a good idea for short on deed bridges.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 8:14 PM, TheTrickster said:

There's other players out there. Make some friends. Talk to people. Invite a neighbor over for a few minutes to help plan the bridge.

5 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

There's other players out there. Make some friends. Talk to people. Invite a neighbor over for a few minutes to help plan the bridge.

Yes, I know this.  I have in-game friends.  That isn't the point, though. (On that subject though, time-zones are also a thing).  Hermits happen all the time, so "make friend" (in both senses of the term) is to say "despite this being a sandbox that is advertized as allowing you to do what you want, well first you have to do play the way you don't want".  

+1 it makes a sense, like odynn said, to plant the range pole  and do the survey without anyone having to hold it, even on large projects

• Like 1