Sign in to follow this  
Malcore

list of systems in game getting reworked?

i personally greatly enjoy the combat system in wurm, its is interactive if you dont use auto-fight: targeting various sections of an enemy and changing when they change where they are defending, balancing special moves with current stamina and focus level, aiming for the arms to lower their parry rate

• Like 2

The combat system in Wurm is poorly understood. There is a lot of depth underneath those few moves you can do.

I agree to John and Evilreaper, and I never used autofight since I learnt to switch it off during my first days in Wurm. The special moves can indeed be fun. Only their efficiency towards mobs is limited (ok the poor mobs are disadvantaged anyway  :) luckily). I would like a low rider interrupting spells of npc mages like the rift ogres, or the warmaster. But I do not see that happen even if they are described sprawling on the ground, stunned, whatever. The multihit moves are working fine.

Wouldn't it then be better to make autofight an optional setting instead of the base setting new players get to start with?

I've never turned it off myself since people told me to keep it on as it is. Will try turning it off today.

EDIT: Nope. I'm wrong.  Apparently I've always played with the autocombat setting turned off. And it's even more dull with the setting turned on.

Can anyone explain to me what the depth of the Wurm combat system is? I don't see it.

All I know is that you must be standing higher than your enemy, you choose a swing direction, change it when the % changes and stand still still the troll dies. Also you press focus and shieldbash when they become available and on very few occasions you get to press one of the skills.

Edited by Timoca
  • Like 1

The combat system is badly in need of better visual feedback while fighting.  Some times you can figure out what's going on with the animations, but it's not good enough without using the combat log constantly.  Better directional and distance sounds would be nice too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Timoca said:

Wouldn't it then be better to make autofight an optional setting instead of the base setting new players get to start with?

I've never turned it off myself since people told me to keep it on as it is. Will try turning it off today.

autofight is worse than targeting and afking, it's quite worthless.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, John said:

The combat system in Wurm is poorly understood. There is a lot of depth underneath those few moves you can do.

I agree that the combat system is poorly understood. However, I believe the reason is because it's an illusion of depth when in reality those adjustments to combat do almost nothing. Whether you aim for arm or legs doesn't matter much in PvE combat. It simply presents itself like it does. PvP is slightly different.

More on topic, the combat system could definitely use an update. The problem becomes that basically nobody understands the combat system intimately enough to actually begin reworking it. Understanding the code that runs combat takes an extremely long time to comprehend. After comprehension, you would then need to identify the issues you're trying to solve and plan a course of change in order to improve it. With the other projects currently at work, I doubt anyone working on the game has time to tackle a combat overhaul.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 12:37 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

autofight is worse than targeting and afking, it's quite worthless.

only good thing of autofight is - focusing....

rest is often trying to do skill moves and causing openings to get the player beat up.. that part makes it terrible it's just rng actions.. pretty much a retard switch in a fight

Personally I don't play this game in order to have an immersive fighting experience. I think if you're looking for that, there's like a thousand other games where combat is the focus and they do it much better. So maybe check those out, except that they're pretty boring after awhile even with their fancy fighting moves.

There's never going to be a perfect game that hits it right in every facet. This one gets it right in a lot of areas though, and considering how few devs there are and how limited the budget is, what they've given us is a remarkably entertaining game. I would bet RL money that if you took a poll of active players, not just the professional whiners on the forums (looking at you, PVPers) they'd rather have diagonal walls and fences than a revamped combat system. Just sayin.

• Like 3

I agree with Evilreaper, I do like combat the way it exists now and am glad for the slower pace.  However, I also agree that it could use some better visual cues about what is going on.  

I also thought that it would be neat to have a second quickbar that had five or six slots that contained "reactionary styles" and current special moves.  These styles would work the way special moves currently do; that is, when you gain enough skill they are unlocked.  It would be fun to "slam" a target after you get a block off or have access to a higher damage style that is available after you successfully parry.  I really enjoyed another game's system where sometimes reactionary chains went two or three styles deep.  It was fun to see if you could pull off the whole style chain.  

• Like 1

Pvp needs to be more like fortnite and minecraft.  I want to be able to paradrop from a flying dragon and be able to crossbow MR while in the air.  Meanwhile consuming bangers and mash to give me my banger damage bonus.  Dropping down to the ground so I can pull out my sword and shield.  I'm a hard blocking noob so I camp that right click and spam my left click as often as I can.

Also what are the rumors regarding the diamond armor?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:58 PM, DaletheGood said:

they'd rather have diagonal walls and fences than a revamped combat system. Just sayin.

+1

• Like 1

I don't see anyone laying out a picture of why updating the combat system is important.  Imagine you just finished grinding mass amounts of xp, And the fatigue system won't allow you to work anymore, Which i have done on numerous occasions.  So you need a mental break, And decide to just go riding around on your horse.  This soon leads into combat due to the amount of critters out there, And you decide that a good hard fight would clear your head. 

You ride up to a spider fast and hard, Slam on the brakes, Target the spider, And ...   Stand there like a statue while your arm occasionally moves up and down, With a small spattering of blood that looks like it was designed for Doom 1.  Targeting a body part is just about useless, And the movements are as boring as a text based rpg.  Eventually the spider falls down, Two seconds later the death sound happens, Probably due to server lag.  And you do it over and over.

Eventually you start to remember why you never bother to hunt for entertainment.  Because it's boring, And monotonous.  It requires no skill.  You can't move around quickly or jump.  You certainly can't do any kind of dodges.  It had all the excitement of reading a book about fighting giant spiders.

This is what people experience in Wurm combat.  Any kinds of improvements to the combat are certainly for the better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightbreed said:

I don't see anyone laying out a picture of why updating the combat system is important.  Imagine you just finished grinding mass amounts of xp, And the fatigue system won't allow you to work anymore, Which i have done on numerous occasions.  So you need a mental break, And decide to just go riding around on your horse.  This soon leads into combat due to the amount of critters out there, And you decide that a good hard fight would clear your head. 

You ride up to a spider fast and hard, Slam on the brakes, Target the spider, And ...   Stand there like a statue while your arm occasionally moves up and down, With a small spattering of blood that looks like it was designed for Doom 1.  Targeting a body part is just about useless, And the movements are as boring as a text based rpg.  Eventually the spider falls down, Two seconds later the death sound happens, Probably due to server lag.  And you do it over and over.

Eventually you start to remember why you never bother to hunt for entertainment.  Because it's boring, And monotonous.  It requires no skill.  You can't move around quickly or jump.  You certainly can't do any kind of dodges.  It had all the excitement of reading a book about fighting giant spiders.

This is what people experience in Wurm combat.  Any kinds of improvements to the combat are certainly for the better.

pretty much how it actually happens w/o the lag.. you must be on xana/cele maybe

On 5/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, Nightbreed said:

I don't see anyone laying out a picture of why updating the combat system is important.

Flashbacks to a lot of players and stories (yours included) dying to pigs and dogs because we didn't understand how the combat worked in the beginning when we were total newbies.

1. How much damage did I do? 20? 15?

2. How do I block?

3. What's the difference in targetting body parts?

4. Distance?

5. Where's my hit chance shown?

6. How much damage does my weapon do exactly?

7. Which weapon is better? - > this question is an endless debate

Those are rational questions any gamer asks when facing a new combat system. Wurm sadly doesn't address those, I'd rather have a minimal DnD style approach that shows approximate damage and hit chance rather than nothing. It takes a long time to "get a feel" for the combat in Wurm.

Would be nice to have the combat revamped or at least clarify alongside the new UI.

• Like 1

they just need to take the combat log and make nice floating text for it, looking at the log chat for that stuff is annoying

Thing is, many of the descriptions go way too fast and aren't intuitive at all. If you're fighting 3-4 mobs like cavebugs, good luck keeping track of what's going on. Those cavebugs might not be a threat to older players but to a new one they can tear him a new alleyway where the sound doesn't shine.

Personally I'd add an in-depth combat tutorial, showing hit chance on mob for PvE, CR, rough damage output of weapon, Displayed Damage Reduction of armor and customize the feedback the system gives to you.

Example : 1. Engage wolf with longsword + small wooden shield.

2. Show hitchance on wolf (%)

3. You can add an option to display a text above the wolf based on your Fight skill + weapon equipped = Non-threatening, Small threat, Even fight, Challenging, Very Challenging, Nearly Impossible (aka uniques, sea serpents, avatars, warmaster, etc.). That display can be turned on or off depending on how you want your immersion.

4. Show damage on wolf per hit, not vague descriptions such as "irritate, harm, damage".

5. Show block chance.

It's kinda absurd how these numbers all run in the background in any fight, but none of them are actually displayed for a player so he can figure out the optimal approach to a fight.

Having a customizable UI for any fight that shows numbers and percentages would be awesome. A player can turn them on or off but at least give him an idea of what's going on.

Vague descriptions aren't good design in any game.

Even old games such as fallout 2 had better input on what's going on in combat regarding chance to hit, damage done, damage reduced by armor and so forth. And Wurm was launched almost a decade post fallout 2. If we still want an "old timey" combat system, that's fine, but at least give the option for players to turn on in-depth combat feedback so they can learn what's happening.

I'm just worried how new players might perceive Wurm's combat system when Steam launches.

• Like 2

Its simple what we need to fix wurm.

Remove terraforming, add twitch based action combat.