Sign in to follow this  
Malcore

list of systems in game getting reworked?

Hail,

Any chance we get a list of the systems that are going to get redone and i hope terraforming and combat is in there.

• Like 1

Wait why terraforming? Im with Brash on this. Nothing currently wrong with it other than not auto digging to pile but that is fixed with a keybind

• Like 7

Well, i hope they aren't reworking that much stuff before fixing half the bugs and so called "inconveniences" and won't cater to like 5 players only.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with terraforming.

Care to elaborate what you think should be reworked? 

• Like 3

No change to terraforming for me. That is what originally brought me to Wurm. I love blasting down mountains

Only change needed for terraforming is flatten and level borders with dredge.

• Like 3

Why you wanna mess with my terraforming? Only things I can see needed are maybe adding a dig/level directly to a crate or bsb, and the aforementioned level/flatten tile border with a dredge

Combat on the other hand...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

I'll tell you for free combat is not on any list

oh *scraps his plans* 

• Like 1

/snipe is going to be changed/already has who knows really

That is something that is getting done that you can add to your list

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

oh *scraps his plans* 

I think you're getting confused, the plans you have in mind were clearly scrapped back when Epic rework got canned

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wipeout said:

/snipe is going to be changed/already has who knows really

That is something that is getting done that you can add to your list

I am not certain that /snipe counts as a system... I think it is merely a feature ....

9 hours ago, Madnath said:

I think you're getting confused, the plans you have in mind were clearly scrapped back when Epic rework got canned

For the record. 

Combat is not just a PvP feature, and any approach to it would be with PvE in mind as well. 

I see a lot of talk about the combat being clunky, but it does always make me curious about what people envision when they say "rework" 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am not certain that /snipe counts as a system... I think it is merely a feature ....

Aren't all things Wurm only a feature ... including the bugs?

29 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

For the record. 

Combat is not just a PvP feature, and any approach to it would be with PvE in mind as well. 

I see a lot of talk about the combat being clunky, but it does always make me curious about what people envision when they say "rework" 

Ever played a game other then Wurm where there was a combat system? If so then you'd understand what players mean by "clunky" when they complain about it. The players that complain about the system largely are also the PvP population. While the PvE needs to be kept in mind, the combat system for PvE isn't bad other then its very hard to get into which might be changing with the update to effective quality levels. PvE combat is really chill. Target, stand, watch the messages, stab, stab, it dies, ride onto the next little monster.

Edit: Lord, please dont touch terraforming. It is the one thing about wurm that isn't in need of a rework. Touch terraforming and it better come with an update that says "Wurm has now moved to a modern day game engine" lol

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

Wurm combat is boring and not challenging. It need to be more interactive so you as player have to make choices that changes the outcome of the fight.

Group combat is more or less non-existent. Pve needs a lot more challenges to make it interesting. As player you do not need to use your brain to create strategies and give each player roles to overcome the challenge. Spell casting could play a much bigger role in combat.

• Like 2

Fighting in wurm is boring, but metas are much worse.

Like only huge axes for pve unique killings.

Like Sotg + being a priest for pvp.

etc.

7 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Fighting in wurm is boring, but metas are much worse.

Like only huge axes for pve unique killings.

Oh hey it's the meta that changed forever ago

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 1:44 AM, Retrograde said:

For the record. 

combat based of physics ofc, swinging, blocking, jumping and stuff :P 

I don't think any online game has successfully used full physics combat. Some have experimented with aiming and swinging, but usually revert to some sort of basic auto-attack with skill options on top.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kelody said:

I don't think any online game has successfully used full physics combat. Some have experimented with aiming and swinging, but usually revert to some sort of basic auto-attack with skill options on top.

So perhaps rethink the Fighting skill tree a little bit.  As an example: Add "Dodge" to the skill set,  of course this will need a dodge UI button and/or bind key. This may help break an attack after seeing something like  some mob "focuses on your midsection".  Add a graphic for the action.  Also include the inability to Dodge when mounted or riding a cart.  I am sure the list of fighting skills and graphics could be reviewed and updated.  

Perhaps add a few fighting tricks provisioned via Alchemy - smoke shield, poison darts, eye irritant, flaming tar balls.   "Trickery" as a new skill?  

I don't disagree that fighting "feels" clunky, as it is graphically represented by a few repetitive movements, many of which are shared between all mobs and players.   Would be nice to see a goblin do a whirlwind kick now and again.  

20 hours ago, Kelody said:

Even with a VR game called "Blade & Sorcery" where physics melee combat is the whole focus, online play is unlikely to be officially developed as it's simply far too resource intensive. 

1 hour ago, Snowmantis said:

So perhaps rethink the Fighting skill tree a little bit.  As an example: Add "Dodge" to the skill set,  of course this will need a dodge UI button and/or bind key. This may help break an attack after seeing something like  some mob "focuses on your midsection".  Add a graphic for the action.  Also include the inability to Dodge when mounted or riding a cart.  I am sure the list of fighting skills and graphics could be reviewed and updated.  

Perhaps add a few fighting tricks provisioned via Alchemy - smoke shield, poison darts, eye irritant, flaming tar balls.   "Trickery" as a new skill?  

I don't disagree that fighting "feels" clunky, as it is graphically represented by a few repetitive movements, many of which are shared between all mobs and players.   Would be nice to see a goblin do a whirlwind kick now and again.  

You seem to be suggesting action rpg combat is as easy as changing a couple skills and adding some new buttons. Far from it, and even if it were done it'd be so far gone from what current players know that it'd likely ruin combat for them. Wurms combat is simple with various things you can utilize to increase its depth. All I think they need to do is make those things clearer and easier for a new player to understand.

• Like 1