Sign in to follow this  
Victor

Looking for interest

Back in the day there was a starting Wurm server called Golden Valley where new players could experience the game with a max skill level of 20. It was made to have very limited "monsters" and the most dangerous creature was a bear. No scorpions, crocodiles, trolls or spiders. There were no deeds allowed save the starter deed.

I miss that kind of server. I have started my own local server called The Island. Its a very small server, only a map of 2048x2048. Its a sparsely wooded low island with a low creature count and no monsters worse than a bear allowed. Its meant for a more casual, relaxing atmosphere.

There's no skill cap, but also, no deeds allowed. No priests, no enchantments, no deeds and no guard towers (you could build one, but as there will be no starting deed, it will disappear when the server has to restart).

This would be a server for the truly casual wurm player who wants to develop their area, live in peace, raise their animals and craft their wares and share them with other players. We'd help each other out and have a real community.

The ores are double of what they are in vanilla WU, and I am contemplating putting down a Trader so players at least have a way to generate some coin for trade. Of course, we could go full barter.

Skill x1, Actions x1, Field tick of 8.5 hours. As close to stock Wurm Online as you can get.

Anyone interested?

Edited by Victor

I would be very interested in trying this!

Did you know there is available an actual map of the old Golden valley server? (I think "built on" but it should be possible to get a versin of it with no roads/buildings/fences etc)

In any case, I hope it is not using Ocrea/Heavenord, as we have scores and scores of great unique player made maps and I am not really interested in ones that use the old worn maps that shipped with WU five years ago.  Some map designers including Count Zero have offered to help people who are not sure how to install and use a custom map.

edit: (ah, this sounds like a custom map though, sotrry for missing this: "" Its a sparsely wooded low island "")

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I would be very interested in trying this!

Did you know there is available an actual map of the old Golden valley server? (I think "built on" but it should be possible to get a versin of it with no roads/buildings/fences etc)

I did not know this.

I will see about getting the server up and ports exposed. I had trouble last time, my router was being stubborn.

Yep you can put the actual Golden Valley map from 2016 into WU

Just delete the cave layer file and it should fix all the holes, caves and generate new ones. 

Do keep in mind that roads can't be easily deleted. 

Edited by atazs

With no deeds, you cannot stop people building on top of one another, which might be an issue down the road, plus you'd need to continually repair buildings, but I guess that is part of what would make it a GV experience. Having the GV Map would be great also.

Good luck with the project!

The 3x decay rate on Golden Valley means that I have to log in regularly. I see this as a good thing. You might want to consider what will be your policy on bashing fences and structures. I'm thinking in particular of players who will, for example, fence off prime real estate.

I also enjoy the challenge of GV's skill cap, although if I were doing what you are, I might allow Body Strength to 23 and Mind Logic to 20.1 just so that you could use a cart and load/unload things. The skill cap makes you get a little more creative.

Personally, I'm spread thin in Wurm as-is. I might be curious enough to poke my nose into such a server if you get it going, though.