Sign in to follow this  
Soluna

Error Messages

Hello!

I would like to suggest an update to the various messages the user receives as an "error". Specifically, I'm talking about the error messages that don't provide any useful information on what user is doing wrong. For example, sometime I try to move inventory and I get the message, "You selected max", but nothing happens. What this really meant is that I was too far away from containers, I think. "You selected max" doesn't help at all but instead, a message like, "Containers are too far apart" would provide the info on what's wrong to user so they can do what they're trying to do instead of being frustrated. I tried for weeks to put barding and horseshoes on a horse and was told information that only frustrated me further with no help. A useful few words that help point in the direction of how to perform the intended action, rather than a neutral statement, or saying you can't do that, would be fantastic!

This is just overview of idea to update "error messages" that user receives, to provide information on how to resolve error instead of just pointing out the problem. If there's anything I could do to help provide more info, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you and have a great day!

While we're at this.. 'this is not allowed' when you work with Container A - player - container B and moving from 1 to b.. gives you such message.. it's still not explaining the asked above.. that the containers are too far apart..(leaving the fact that player can move stuff around if they go through player's inventory... but that annoying and manual interaction.. but within player's reach(that's a bit beyond the error message point discusses here)

I was mining a rocksalt today.. and just spammed several times 6x actions around 40 actions.. looked around to see how much I've mined.. -> 3 shards... since topology wouldnt allow further mining etc.. well.. could we make these show in mid of the screen to be a bit obvious or give such messages color?

If the action can not happen because of something.. it's not a normally flowing action.. (In the case above I ignored reading event log.. my bad and so on.. but... at the same time.. there's NO indication that something not-so-normal is happening to give it any attention, unless somebody wants to claim that every message that passes through event log should be read by the player, no exceptions...)

+1 for a few fixes around the cryptic error messages

On 4/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, Finnn said:

there's NO indication that something not-so-normal is happening to give it any attention, unless somebody wants to claim that every message that passes through event log should be read by the player, no exceptions

Oh, the agro from mining when you cue several actions and get

You start mining

You mine some rock shards

You start mining

You mine some rock shards

Your start mining

The cave walls sound hollow. A dangerous side shaft could emerge.

Your start mining

Your start mining

In the event log, but nothing "in the eye-line" so to speak.  You start to zombie out when tunnelling and discover you have been going exactly no-where for the last 5 minutes.

On the subject why do we get "You are not allowed to do that" when in fact we can't reach but we get "You can't reach that" when trying to shoe an untamed/unbranded horse and the real problem it that are not allowed?

An uninformative error message creates the kind of frustration that makes people just give up and go to FPS instead.

Edited by TheTrickster
wonky text formatting