Sign in to follow this  
ddrosler

Shields and "Improve an Armour Piece to 80QL" Journal Task

While attempting to complete some of my journal tasks, I came across the "Improve an Armour Piece to 80QL" task and felt like that was easily doable considering I can improve shields to 80+ QL. I improved a shield to 80QL and then didn't get the task completed, and asking in CA Help was told that shields do not count towards the task. For me that's a bit misleading considering you use a skill under the sub-skill "armour smithing" to create the item, which is also a piece of armour that you can equip and is not a weapon. I'm not saying to necessarily change the task to include shields, but to at least change the wording of the description "Improve a single piece of armour to at least 80ql" to something that says "single piece of armour excluding shields" at the very least. Just overall it's slightly frustrating to know I now have to grind a whole other skill to be able to create a different piece of armour just for the task when I felt that I should've completed it by improving a shield. I had another player message me after seeing my question asking about the same thing, since they weren't sure what it meant either, so it's not just me that is confused by it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield

"A shield is a piece of personal armour held in the hand, which may or may not be strapped to the wrist or forearm."

A shield should be considered armor by any length of the imagination since that is its primary purpose: to protect.

Bump it up, journal goal should count towards it. Doesn't matter if we have other types of armor in game, or shieldsmithing is its own skill, it's still armor and should be counted as such.

• Like 1

I may be crazy, but at my personal storage i store shields and weapons together in the same category.  I guess i think of it as some kind of arms outfit. Never actually thought of it as armor, tho' i fully understand the points made here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

I may be crazy, but at my personal storage i store shields and weapons together in the same category.  I guess i think of it as some kind of arms outfit. Never actually thought of it as armor, tho' i fully understand the points made here.

In fact, Wurm is kinda inconsistent here. In fact, you even may use a shield like sort of weapon using shieldbash. But on the other hand, shield smithing is a subskill of armour smithing.

Well the fact that the shield can be used to shield bash doesn't change the fact it is made to parry hits made to you. It's still armor.

Would like to add to this suggestion. Armour smithing titles grant faster improvement rates but this doesn't include shield smithing. Not saying it needs to be included in this bonus, but definitely needs to be clearer on what counts as "armour" since it's very misleading at the moment.