Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Remove Mooring Rope from Rowboat

I am messing around with one of my subless toons and I just realized my current goal of making a rowboat is going to be nigh impossible where I am because of the mooring rope.  I am asking now why a rowboat needs a mooring anchor?  Further, since this is something a new player is definitely going to want to make, I think it creates an undue burden on them to have to make this "medium difficulty" rope. 

I am suggesting that the mooring rope be removed from the requirements to make a rowboat.

• Like 5

i think there should be some ropes involved into crafting the rowboat, but i do agree it should not be a mooring rope. I think just a regular rope or 2 should replace the mooring one. As OP said, crafting a mooring rope as a newbie is almost impossible. 

• Like 4

It's the newbie boat, so yes it would be nice if the ropes were let out of it.

I do remember spending many many hours foraging for wemp back when I was new and when you finally got enough of it you kept failing most of the time, having to go look for more.

No RL boat would be without a mooring rope, or it'd float away from the dock. it could be beached, but pushing a boat onto and off land is a hassle too.

1 hour ago, Timoca said:

It's the newbie boat, so yes it would be nice if the ropes were let out of it.

I do remember spending many many hours foraging for wemp back when I was new and when you finally got enough of it you kept failing most of the time, having to go look for more.

This is pretty much everything a newbie does, and I miss it.

3 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

I am messing around with one of my subless toons and I just realized my current goal of making a rowboat is going to be nigh impossible where I am because of the mooring rope.  I am asking now why a rowboat needs a mooring anchor?  Further, since this is something a new player is definitely going to want to make, I think it creates an undue burden on them to have to make this "medium difficulty" rope. 

I am suggesting that the mooring rope be removed from the requirements to make a rowboat.

None of my boats have an anchor for years, except if I do dredging.

• Like 1

I doubt a bit whether with such a change the fine line between removing unnessecary hardship and dumbing down is not crossed already. I recall the quest for my first rowboat (the now rare Crevette) which I created in a landlocked camp in the perimeter of Vrock Landing, having to drag the unfinished boat on feet on a large cart over more than 500 tiles to Sojourn harbour in Lake Selkie. The mooring rope was my least concern as I was diligently foraging (be it for the coins) which I recommend to every newbie.

I loathed my hull planks crafting with my "precious" ql20 logs being reduced on every failure, that was really damning, but had to be sustained. But I hold all of that adventure precious and do not think that new players are all not worthy of or able to. Even more I doubt we need too many of those who are not.

Making your first boat in Wurm is a pretty satisfactory experience, it should require a bit of effort to do, but the mooring anchor for a simple rowboat is a bit absurd. In reality most rowboats don't have anchors, you tether them to a dock and that's it.

Anchors should be from sailboats and up.

I made my rowing boat starting from no skill and free to play. That was 10 years ago.i dont have alot of shipbuilding even now after many years. Everyone did it the way it is. And everyone alse should do the same

30 minutes ago, Zarame said:

I made my rowing boat starting from no skill and free to play. That was 10 years ago.i dont have alot of shipbuilding even now after many years. Everyone did it the way it is. And everyone alse should do the same

You're falling into bias here. " I did it this way thus everyone should suffer as I did" , by that logic, why should we use modern mining gear, lets use stone pickaxes since our great ancestors mined that way.

This doesn't detract from the difficulty of making a boat. It's just 1 item. There will still be a lot of failures incoming while attaching items.

7 hours ago, elentari said:

Making your first boat in Wurm is a pretty satisfactory experience, it should require a bit of effort to do, but the mooring anchor for a simple rowboat is a bit absurd. In reality most rowboats don't have anchors, you tether them to a dock and that's it.

Anchors should be from sailboats and up.

Anchors are NOT needed for a rowboat, never have. A mooring rope is NOT an ANCHOR.

Mooring ropes are used to tie boats to piers. While there are no actual piers in game, it's the theory of why boats have them.

Edited by Kelody

Lowering the skill needed to make a mooring rope slightly might be a nice change as well.

You can easily find some wemp from foraging, and get crops and other useful stuff in the process as well

34 minutes ago, nitram20 said:

You can easily find some wemp from foraging, and get crops and other useful stuff in the process as well

Getting wemp isn't the problem for a new player.  Making that rope is the problem.