Sign in to follow this  
Gawain

Highway light up!

Hey all! So I discovered that this lovely strip of highway has yet to be lit up. I will be lighting up the section my deed overlaps but would love to maybe see if anyone wanted to help light the rest of the highway! I roughly drew where the highway is below. It is shorter so we could get this done fairly quick. 
https://imgur.com/gallery/4bo44Wi

• Like 1

Also not sure why imgur didn’t give me a imbed photo option 

1 hour ago, Gawain said:

Also not sure why imgur didn’t give me a imbed photo option 

You need to copy the URL which points directly to the png.

Right click the image => Copy image URL

The bit in front of my deed is lit up. Will be trying to make some more lamps to place. Will need someone to bless them so they don’t have to be re filled (on deed doesn’t need to be) 

• Like 2

My deed is right there up north along the highway a bit. I will see what I can do. Maybe come by with my Vynn priest and bless them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zachariah said:

My deed is right there up north along the highway a bit. I will see what I can do. Maybe come by with my Vynn priest and bless them. 

That would be amazing! It seems when the highway was made back during the past 10 years no one ever thought of lighting it up aha

1 hour ago, Gawain said:

That would be amazing! It seems when the highway was made back during the past 10 years no one ever thought of lighting it up aha

I have been meaning to grind up Blacksmithing a bit. Maybe I will see if I can make some lamps. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

I have been meaning to grind up Blacksmithing a bit. Maybe I will see if I can make some lamps. 

Ok! Im guessing we will need about 150-200. Im finishing up my house but after I can see what I can do about making some lamps myself. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:38 PM, Zachariah said:

Gud'day Zach,   Sound like a great idea and good luck with your project.

For those who may not know...

..... Highway Lighting Etiquette ....

Back in 2016 when CE Hwys were 1st introduced, my good friend, the late Zorako, and I worked out a lamp spacing Etiquette that has been applied to all of the major Named Hwys of Indy on which we have put blessed street lamps.

We did this with keeping in mind that folks like Wurm for the challenge AND the element of risk, danger when traveling.

SO to keep the element of some danger at night,  Zorako and I came up with the following to ensure Hwy lamps show where a highway goes......

...... but are far enough apart so as not to put a heavy burden on the graphics engine for those folks operating with older, slower computers, as well as keeping night travel slightly dangerous.

Lamp Types used.

It is recommended that Lamps with big Lantern style heads, like Iron Lamps,  are used.  Their lamp heads are more easy to see at night as small yellow blobs in the far distance then the fancy "genie" style hanging lamps or Torch Lamps, or the enclosed bronze lamps, which are nearly invisible when looking 40-50 tiles off into the distance to see where a road goes.

Blessed lamps are must OFF Deed.  When Planted on Cats Eyes Highways they do not take decay damage and do not need refueling.

That said, you do have to Fuel them before planting.  An empty blessed lamp will Not self light at Sunset.

So.. how did we do it....

1..... 50 QL for the lamps is good enough.  Gives enough illumination to see where the highway goes but low enough to still keep the challenging with pools of darkness between.  As experience has taught me, making 60 lamps up to 50 QL is about a 6 hour job with two alts who are 85+ Black Smithing. (this includes lunch and bathroom breaks).

Even spacing is important...

2.... 10 tiles apart  on North- South Highways and East-West highways  AND

3... 08 diagonal tiles apart on diagonal highways

Of course not all highways are spaced with even counts of 10 between intersections.  In these cases one adjusts the last few lamps to 9 apart or 11 apart to keep the visual spacing even to look at, to give a good visual distance interpretation.

On twisty winding hilly roads with limited visibility front and behind, one can shorten the spacing by putting one at each turn so the lamps ahead and behind are visible.

4...  Marking Major Junctions or Intersections with other highways, both CE and non CE.

4a ....   One lamp goes in the middle of the intersection (Off set from the Way Stone please so its directions are readable)

4b ..... AND then single lamps are set 5 tiles out to each side of the intersection, so as to make the intersection more visible, so someone does not miss the corner when running from a Troll with large dents in their plate armour. (grin).

Then you start counting 10 tiles between lamps.

5....  We NEVER put lamps across any of the open steppe or tundra Hunting Areas.

Hunters like it Dangerous!!!  This rule Zorako and I developed in response to requests from Hunters to keep those areas dark and dangerous.

This rule has been applied to The Grand Steppe, the Eastern Plains, the NE Praires, the SE Steppe, Gurubears Crater, Western Deserts and the south Inner Sea Tundra, located at the NE end of the Kinoss Cave Canal.

There is an Exception...  YES, you can put in Intersection or Junction markers at major intersections with other major routed junctions in Hunting Areas.

Examples of how this is done can be found at 4 Oaks Corner on The Grand Steppe as well as the north Grand Steppe junction and at two mid- NE Praires highways intersections.

Finally IF  you have a name for a major Highway, PLEASE do let the Albia Map know via the appropriate forum.  "IF" there is room on map, as deed names do take priority, we will attempt to anoint the map with the highway's name, but we can not guarantee to add every highway name submitted.

... AND please put the Highway Name on the Street Lamps.  Helps travelers to stay "un-lost".

Good luck with your CE Hwy lighting project.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Co-Administrator - The Albia CE Hwys Map of Indy

Edited by HughMongus
grammer and some explanations corrected
  • Like 4

..... and Valyrian Way highway now has named - blessed 50 QL Iron lamps on it from Port of Valyrian over the hill and SE to just north of Valyrian Steel itself.

Cheers!

Hughmongus

...... and Valyrian Way highway now has named - blessed 50+ QL Iron lamps on from Lorath at the Junction with 4 Oaks Highway on the east end of Harmony Lake up to the NW end of Harmony Lake, just south of Valyrian Steel itself.

Cheers!

Hughmongus

• Like 1