Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 095 New UI Showcase!

On 4/13/2020 at 10:58 AM, phennexion said:

That's awesome, I like everything so far but the right click menu needs another option instead of right clicking everything.

KIDS THESE DAYS "TLDR;" THE RIGHT CLICK MENU. It's too tedious for them. If you want to win over the mine craft generation and make the big bucks you need to make a super simple UI. Something that pops up in their face with all the options possible whenever they change their view to a new object. Like, auto-right clicking lol. Most of Gen Z is that lazy, yes, I work in technology in a school and see them using computers everyday.

To give you an idea, they literally hit Capslock, type their capital, then hit capslock again instead of hitting Shift... they don't think of technology the same way we do. Imagine a whole generation of people raised on Apple devices and they're all used to interacting the way they do on an iPad.

I tried to get some of the kids in my school into the game and the right click menu was just too cumbersome and complicated for them.

JtUmWY3.png

https://imgur.com/a/oqZzVCV

May seem odd, but I actually like this idea myself, cause sometimes I find myself feeling lazy and set keybinds to do stuff, just so I don't have to open the context menus to find an option, so this'd be a welcome option to me, could even make it a toggle-able option that starts disabled, and if people want it, they could enable it.

• Like 1

Wurm Unlimited will get it too ?

Edited by Ludwigp

47 minutes ago, Ludwigp said:

Content updates for WU aren't happening anymore; so most likely no. 

Only thing they'll update is any critical bugs or issues with the game

4 hours ago, Ludwigp said:

Nope. WU wont get any more content updates. Its already been stated previously.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:58 AM, phennexion said:

That's awesome, I like everything so far but the right click menu needs another option instead of right clicking everything.

KIDS THESE DAYS "TLDR;" THE RIGHT CLICK MENU. It's too tedious for them. If you want to win over the mine craft generation and make the big bucks you need to make a super simple UI. Something that pops up in their face with all the options possible whenever they change their view to a new object. Like, auto-right clicking lol. Most of Gen Z is that lazy, yes, I work in technology in a school and see them using computers everyday.

To give you an idea, they literally hit Capslock, type their capital, then hit capslock again instead of hitting Shift... they don't think of technology the same way we do. Imagine a whole generation of people raised on Apple devices and they're all used to interacting the way they do on an iPad.

I tried to get some of the kids in my school into the game and the right click menu was just too cumbersome and complicated for them.

JtUmWY3.png

https://imgur.com/a/oqZzVCV

This is a bad idea in the way you currently have it.  It automatically pops up?  Like kat said that would be annoying when looking around places with lots of placed objects.  If you were to stick with this, it would be best to implement  a radial menu.  Hold your mouse over said item, hold hotkey down, radial menu pops up, move mouse over needed action, let go of the hotkey button or click to initiate action.  Also I am curious, wouldn't that require requests from the UI everytime you scroll over something, so if you moved your mouse in a heavy area with lots of objects, would you end up getting performance drops?

Radial menu: gif-icons-menu-transition-animations-ani

Edited by Smokie
  • Like 2