Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 095 New UI Showcase!

Yay! I love this and I am so excited to test it when it comes out. It looks great! Thanks team for all the amazing work you do!

love the search feature, no longer have to dig around for my rake for about 30 secs every time i want to farm

It does look good but I would like to see the ironwood skin kept as an option too! 

• Like 7
  • Cat 1

Very nice!  This looks awesome.

Still waiting for the "I hate change!" comments.   The "you're dumbing down the game for noobs" is a favourite of mine too.

Edited by Icarium
  • Like 3

I'm getting point and click adventure vibes from these and I love it lol

Looks like some decent UI stuff coming, especially like the support for 4k resolutions. Nice job @Retrogradeand team!

Since I've joined the Wurm team for a few months to help out with the marketing assets for the Steam launch, I've had the chance to actually test this stuff out and HOLY MOLY! Not only does it look better, but just you guys wait until you actually start USING it. It really is a huge improvement on so many levels. Now every time I log onto just the normal servers the old UI feels so much less pleasant to use in comparison.

Everything about the upgraded UI is just so pleasant and easy on the eye. Everything feels so solid and "right" compared to the old. I think you guys will be blown away once this is released!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 13

Unsurprisngly, I do not like this.

At first I thought I would be able to get used to it with the new window chrome (even if it is a bit too, as someone said, "modern" for me as well) but its really the menus and the text that drove me across the line. Please tell me its at least customizable and I don't have to waste pixel real estate on extra colored outlines and silly icons. All my screens are 1366x768 max so losing 20 pixels for non removable nonresizable window dressing detracts from usability.

In general the whole thing just seems aimed to make it look like every other "modern" game out there. That saddens me. I won't bother asking for such, since choice is out in the 2020s, but if there were an option to continue using the old ui, I most certainly would. Its actually been one of my favorite interfaces for many years and I'll miss it when its pried out of my cold dead hands. 

The work is well done though even if I don't like/agree with the goals or whatever.

• Like 2

Floating text over head locally, awesome! Gone will be the days of having to look down at bottom right to speak with people near me.

Edited by Jeston

This all looks really great! So modern. Altho i still like the old skin. I can’t wait to play around with this. 
i don’t think ill be a fan of the on-screen chat tho. Good thing we can turn it off.

some questions:

how do you prevent from dragging stuff into containers accidentally when trying to move your camera? I feel like you have to be careful where you place your mouse before clicking it to move.

Are you also thinking of adding a search bar in the skills window? So many times im just having trouble finding a skill cause the list is so long. Even tho there are categories. 

Do we keep the option to create categories in the inventory?

Ive also been waiting to be able to see the ”new” water and text on sign updates on my mac. For years! :( 

Apperently food storage bin doors open too these days and coffers too, from what i’ve heard. And id love to see pretty trees in the distance instead of weird green figures.

Edited by SweetSusie

Will the search include renames (the player text in parentheses)? E.g. you could put smithing on rename on multiple tools and when you search, you’d get that group of tools

• Like 2

I don’t want the ui to change. I hope you’ll consider allowing those of us who are happy with it to not have to change.

• Like 2

So you guys added 4k cool but what about crazy people like me with 49 in curved monitors. 32x9 aspect ratio

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

And of course, one long-requested issue is the support of 4K monitors and resolutions of varying sizes. I'm thrilled to say that this will all be coming with the ability to scale, fully supporting 4K resolutions or any personal preference!

Added that in! 

Does that mean everything will be scalable. Not just the new things?  Because text scaling was not scaling all text. Text in the crafting window for example would stay tiny. 

Could we also have to ability to scale higher. Text still looks rather small on a 4K monitor even when scaled up to the max. 

I hope this also comes with the ability to widen collums like in excel. The mailbox interface for example looks very bad at max scaling because text would overlap. 

I just hope all problems with using a 4K monitor is being resolved. And not just new interface parts. 

Damn nice ideas, happy to see them implemented soon. Will definitely take some getting used to, but many other games have similar mechanics so I don't believe it will be a steep learning curve.

That's awesome, I like everything so far but the right click menu needs another option instead of right clicking everything.

KIDS THESE DAYS "TLDR;" THE RIGHT CLICK MENU. It's too tedious for them. If you want to win over the mine craft generation and make the big bucks you need to make a super simple UI. Something that pops up in their face with all the options possible whenever they change their view to a new object. Like, auto-right clicking lol. Most of Gen Z is that lazy, yes, I work in technology in a school and see them using computers everyday.

To give you an idea, they literally hit Capslock, type their capital, then hit capslock again instead of hitting Shift... they don't think of technology the same way we do. Imagine a whole generation of people raised on Apple devices and they're all used to interacting the way they do on an iPad.

I tried to get some of the kids in my school into the game and the right click menu was just too cumbersome and complicated for them.

JtUmWY3.png

https://imgur.com/a/oqZzVCV

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, phennexion said:

KIDS THESE DAYS "TLDR;" THE RIGHT CLICK MENU. It's too tedious for them. If you want to win over the mine craft generation and make the big bucks you need to make a super simple UI. Something that pops up in their face with all the options possible whenever they change their view to a new object. Like, auto-right clicking lol.

Your idea is nice enough and would probably work well but your purpose is anathema to everything I hold dear. I don't want wurm for the minecraft generation. I want a wurm I can continue to enjoy. That means both that I want

• a nice simple interface that doesnt hold my hand and just let me load in a deed planner schematic and drop some crates on my deed then just hit a single buttton until the entire thing is built (this is where I'm afraid things will lead to the way they're going.
  • a small community of only those able to put in the effort, attention, and love to make wurm part fo their life and not just attract a bunch of short attention spanned, over-entitled, modern gamers who will come in, muck things about, alter our world forever, and then move on to the next game de jour in 3-6 months anyway.

Trying to make wurm mainstream or turn it into a "big bucks" revenue stream is just going to destroy eveything sacred to the experience we have all been part fo for so long. Alas I suspect it is too late and my words will have no impact. The goal seems clearly set and the outcome is all but written in stone.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phennexion said:

JtUmWY3.png

I like that a lot, right clicking is one of the most annoying things in wurm. Might be worth a separate suggestion thread so it doesnt get lost here

Edited by Vomusu

5 hours ago, phennexion said:

That's awesome, I like everything so far but the right click menu needs another option instead of right clicking everything.

KIDS THESE DAYS "TLDR;" THE RIGHT CLICK MENU. It's too tedious for them. If you want to win over the mine craft generation and make the big bucks you need to make a super simple UI. Something that pops up in their face with all the options possible whenever they change their view to a new object. Like, auto-right clicking lol. Most of Gen Z is that lazy, yes, I work in technology in a school and see them using computers everyday.

To give you an idea, they literally hit Capslock, type their capital, then hit capslock again instead of hitting Shift... they don't think of technology the same way we do. Imagine a whole generation of people raised on Apple devices and they're all used to interacting the way they do on an iPad.

I tried to get some of the kids in my school into the game and the right click menu was just too cumbersome and complicated for them.

JtUmWY3.png

https://imgur.com/a/oqZzVCV

My first reaction was: "That looks like it would work wonderfully!" and I immediately "liked" your post.

But then I started to think about it more, and here's the problem: What you see being done in that video is items being "hovered" over with the mouse versus being "clicked".

But imagine being in a tight space with lots of functional items in a small area and all you wanted to do was look around (versus actually interacting with any of it). Then as you moved your mouse around, you'd have these big buttons popping up repeatedly all over the place. That could get quite chaotic. Since the original implementation is merely text, it's not too distracting.  

Also, how would it technically work with clicking those buttons?  Since they look like buttons, your first reaction would be to click on them. And of course, as soon as you did that, the cursor would have already moved off of the sword and onto the dirt tile. Thus, you'd never get the chance to actually "catch" the buttons to be able to click on them. 

I think the only way this could work is by clicking once on them item to bring up the buttons. But then, we already have a tool for that - which is the select bar. 

That aside, I think it's really wonderful that you had an idea, worked on visual for how it could work and suggested it! 

OMG OMG OMG "in-world text for local chat " I can´t wait for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will make the meeting other people experience so so much more immersive! Love it! And the UI looks wonderful to. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sirene said:

OMG OMG OMG "in-world text for local chat " I can´t wait for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will make the meeting other people experience so so much more immersive! Love it! And the UI looks wonderful to. 

Same here! It will really enhance the RPG vibe to Wurm for those who want to use it. And for those who don't, they can just disable it. Win win! 

• Like 1

one main thing i'll beg for, is go a head with all the UI improvements. but please have the options for us vets to use the old version.  i hate the paper doll. and love that there is an option to keep body in the inventory, i hate having to open the paper doll.  i'm sure i'll like the new UI to come. but would be nice to have options to use parts of the new and parts of the old. 

edit.  dont get me wrong i love what i'm seeing so far.   love the searching and i hope it's for chests too.  i have 4 large magic chests, full of packs and bags, finding things are not easy.    just please use the community to help.  show us your ideas and hear the feed backs.  to succeed on steam.  a lot of polishing is needed.  i hate combat and dont plan on killing things mush at all. so i dont care that combat is simple. but i know others do.  but at the same time dont turn combat into as complicated as fishing is now. lol  

I can't wait till steam release i hope a nice year before it connects to the main world.  would be nice for a fresh start without our main characters rushing the whole thing.

my fav day on xanadu release after founding my deed was building a hiway from starter deed to the coast close by my deed, and later putting 4 Hots tower on it.  i was down there a few months ago nice to still see it there.

Edited by validate
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malena said:

And for those who don't, they can just disable it. Win win! 

This is absolutely the best part of the game. The ability to pick and choose what is and isn't on to your own taste and preference. Wink wink, dev team.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, validate said:

one main thing i'll beg for, is go a head with all the UI improvements. but please have the options for us vets to use the old version.  i hate the paper doll. and love that there is an option to keep body in the inventory, i hate having to open the paper doll.  i'm sure i'll like the new UI to come. but would be nice to have options to use parts of the new and parts of the old. 

Unfortunately, as stated before, this is a complete overhaul and breaks almost every part of the existing UI. Band-aiding a new UI while trying to continue to support the old one would lead to two ineffective UI's.

This decision means the old UI will not exist, and the new one will be built from the ground up. I understand that you may dislike additions to the UI from ages past, but in this case, we have to focus on rebuilding the UI from scratch to achieve the goals we wish to accomplish with it. 

The majority of functions will remain the same, and we have focused on reducing how much real estate they take up on your screen too.

• Like 6