Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. 095 New UI Showcase!

wurm_logo_4_7_700.png

Greetings Wurmians!

This weekend is a HUGE Valrei International, and it's a big moment for us too. This edition is where we unveil shots and features of the new UI! 

This UI is long-awaited and long-discussed and has gone through several iterations before being revealed today, and will likely be adjusted before live launch too.
Feel free to give feedback, but keep in mind that it will probably be different once it's in your hands soon! 

New Windows!
The first and most visual part of the new UI will be the various windows and tabs, with multiple changes including skins and functionality. 
Visually, the most notable change will be the removal of the existing ironwood skin, as well as classic and classic light skins. We will be replacing these with two versions,  a light version and dark version shown below:
Lightanddark.png

(The text is scaled higher for this for easier reading, it is not the default size) 

Improved Tactile Feedback

Along with this, we'll be providing more tactile feedback with various UI elements. Buttons will glow slightly and provide audio feedback when moused over and clicked.

Inventory Search!

A long wanted part of this is the ability to search within your inventory for items. The search bar down the bottom updates the inventory window dynamically meaning you can quickly type in a few letters and find that tool you need.
search.gif

Better Tab Control! 

We know that the existing tabs have been quite clunky to work with, so with this, we took the opportunity to break them all apart. All tabs will be able to float individually, dock with others, and arrange in different orders giving you total control of what you see at any given time. 

Improved menus

We've also taken efforts to revamp the right-click menus, giving them a rounded look with a colour palette similar to our new logo design, and moving permanent context buttons to an icon slot at the top. This shift cuts down the text on each menu and provides better contrast. 
menu.png

In-World Text!

We've also been reading through many suggestions for UI updates, including the in-world text for local chat and examining items!
chat.png

mouseover.png

Rest assured, this option is up to you and can be enabled or disabled in the client!

Default Action Key!

Another popular request over the years has been a default action key which is context-based. This addition means you can have a single key-bind change the action based on what tool you have activated, and what your mouse hovers over. 

In-World Interaction!

Last, but not least of this is the expansion of dragging an item into containers without having to open them. We are adding the ability to interact with objects in-world and drag them into other containers, no longer needing to open a pile to move the contents it to another container, you can operate with fewer windows and a more unobstructed view. 

Scaling

And of course, one long-requested issue is the support of 4K monitors and resolutions of varying sizes. I'm thrilled to say that this will all be coming with the ability to scale, fully supporting 4K resolutions or any personal preference!

There are more features regarding the UI in the works before its launch, including showing enchants on mouse-over, a potential "repeat last action key", and much more coming soon!

These are all huge changes, and we hope that these elements we have showcased here show that we are listening to what you have requested over the years and are working on improving how you interact with the game every day! 

We will be opening up this UI via a preview client for public testing within a month, so you don't have long to wait at all to get your hands on it! 

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 55

The UI is starting to resemble something of a modern game now

Looks good

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

nice, just need a count down until it's out to test on pts or in normal client

functionalities are nice, still like the old skin though...

• Like 5

Is there going to be any icon scaling for 1440p/4K users? We can scale fonts but icons look terribly small and unusable as-is. Windowed Fullscreen WO seems to use our desktop for its UI resolution reference so trying to bring the res down doesn't work for us.

• Like 2

How will the new dragging without opening work, like the pile of dirt in your example video? For instance, if I want to turn my camera, but accidentally throw my rare woodscrap into my 90ql campfire.

• Like 2

All looks great guys. Will surely help ease of play for the steam launch. Keep up the amazing work!

Edited by user

3 minutes ago, paterso said:

Is there going to be any icon scaling for 1440p/4K users? We can scale fonts but icons look terribly small and unusable as-is. Windowed Fullscreen WO seems to use our desktop for its UI resolution reference so trying to bring the res down doesn't work for us.

And of course, one long-requested issue is the support of 4K monitors and resolutions of varying sizes. I'm thrilled to say that this will all be coming with the ability to scale, fully supporting 4K resolutions or any personal preference!

Added that in! 

• Like 5

Now this is some good stuff!

Any chance to make the action time bar floating? or how you call it

Can hud settings be brought into main escape menu (a different section in it)? - so we can more quickly access spell effects, etc.

Or at least add an option to show spell power beneath each icon with text.

I was very worried when I heard first about anew UI. I'm happy to see where it goes so far - I definitely not planning to use the chat above head but as it will be a toggle all is fine.

One little humble request - can you please keep ironwood skin as an option? The new skin is a bit too modern for me...

• Like 8

I hope I'll get used to it. :P
But I love the inventory search! I would like same patch in RL too. :D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

I was very worried when I heard first about anew UI. I'm happy to see where it goes so far - I definitely not planning to use the chat above head but as it will be a toggle all is fine.

One little humble request - can you please keep ironwood skin as an option? The new skin is a bit too modern for me...

As these are all new elements it's not possible to keep the old skins. 

The light skin will be closer to the original 

• Like 2

Does that mean using groups in inventory isn't possible anymore, or is that search function for ppl like you, @Retrograde, who have unsorted inventories and can't find things during streams?

Thorin :)

Will we be able to resize the character window (the one that shows our equipment and damage)?

love everything in this update post, just missing one thing though Pirate Hats.......😁

• Like 4

Looks great!

What about crafting window new look ? Is it getting some new functions as well ?

• Like 1