Sign in to follow this  
Thalius

Staff Walking Bonus

I enjoy getting out and walking around exploring forests and such.  The terrain can be a pain sometimes though, with some slopes getting in the way when slightly too steep.  It can get irritating using the climb/stop climbing button a lot when you don't really feel like you are climbing. 

As a QOL addition for those who enjoy such parts of the game I wanted to make the following suggestion regarding staffs:  Allow a player to activate a staff, and when activated they get a bonus to the max tile slope they can walk on.  Tie the walking bonus to the quality of the staff and the player's body control.  No skill gained when using one- just a simple qol addition to help make things more enjoyable in certain situations. 

Max bonus could be debated.  Anything would be helpful.  Most irritating range for me personally is the 21-35 range when walking in hilly areas.  I can't ride a horse in such terrain because diagonal riding mechanics are odd, and walking is necessary but also irritating.

Humbly submitted,
~TH~
Chief Hermit of Hermitage

• Like 6

I agree... some of these slopes look like one ought to be able to climb them...  and the staff idea seems reasonable to me.

Maybe the walking bonus would have to do with climbing skill?

JS

1 minute ago, Beretel said:

Maybe the walking bonus would have to do with climbing skill?

That would work as well- maybe a passive bonus from your climbing skill when walking with staff? No need to activate climbing when using a staff and walking within a certain slope range- you are just able to walk it as you otherwise normally could on a less sloped tile.

I agree to the general idea, but staff? The things are OP even without.

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I agree to the general idea, but staff? The things are OP even without.

Err, it is a staff. It is literally what they are normally used for when not being used in combat.

Other polearms could serve the same function I suppose, or just add a simple walking stick/staff to the game.  This should be a simple thing to add though with no other items or mechanics needing to be created.  We have staffs in the game already, and spears and such similar sized weapons/items that could serve the purpose.

But, if the devs were interested in doing it, I'd be all for a nice looking wooden walking stick that had a different graphic based on wood type it was made from, and that could be improved using fine carp skills.

There's a wooden staff. That would work. A full metal staff might not be great since it's so heavy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalius said:

Err, it is a staff. It is literally what they are normally used for when not being used in combat.

Other polearms could serve the same function I suppose, or just add a simple walking stick/staff to the game.  This should be a simple thing to add though with no other items or mechanics needing to be created.  We have staffs in the game already, and spears and such similar sized weapons/items that could serve the purpose.

Ok, understood. I would indeed prefer a dedicated walking stick/staff, or the possibility to use every polearm, and even a branch and maybe a shaft, those possibly at lower efficiency/skillgain.

14 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Ok, understood. I would indeed prefer a dedicated walking stick/staff, or the possibility to use every polearm, and even a branch and maybe a shaft, those possibly at lower efficiency/skillgain.

I envisioned no skill gain of any kind associated with this mechanic, only a passive bonus from either climbing or body control skill levels when a staff/walking stick is activated.

As for equipment, I'd prefer either the wooden staff only or a dedicated walking staff for this rather than all pole-arms in general be used.  Taking a shaft and carving it into a nice looking walking staff that had different look to it based on wood type and with it's own graphics when used would be sweet.

Yeah I agree with this. I was looking for a reason to add the staff to my exploration kit. :D

rather carry another extra item in a game with weight restriction and damage if you place something aside

I'd prefer decorative visuals for years of  premium if there's anything new, besides current loyalty system..

and if there's unlocks to extra speed, str, or any of that sort.. I'd like to have that build on character stats.. that gives you reason to do things.. move items faster if you get 50ML, slightly faster at 70, etc.. any of that kind kind of random side things, for example if you want to climb better - tie it to body.str and/or body.stamina makes much more sense than seeing a player randomly whip out a cane out of nowhere and start crawling on a 90 slope..(in a game that randomly claims to strive for some realism); 

imo it just makes more sense to build this feature to climb on the char stats

-1 for canes 😧

15 minutes ago, Finnn said:

rather carry another extra item in a game with weight restriction and damage if you place something aside

I'd prefer decorative visuals for years of  premium if there's anything new, besides current loyalty system..

and if there's unlocks to extra speed, str, or any of that sort.. I'd like to have that build on character stats.. that gives you reason to do things.. move items faster if you get 50ML, slightly faster at 70, etc.. any of that kind kind of random side things, for example if you want to climb better - tie it to body.str and/or body.stamina makes much more sense than seeing a player randomly whip out a cane out of nowhere and start crawling on a 90 slope..(in a game that randomly claims to strive for some realism); 

imo it just makes more sense to build this feature to climb on the char stats

-1 for canes 😧

Appreciate your input, Finnn. Always good to hear from the other side. ;)

Some kind of hiking stick that functions better based on climbing skill would be nice. Maybe less movement penalty on wilderness tiles while wielding scaling with climbing, and as mentioned improve the slope range that can be moved on.

I suggested something like this a few years back; mostly aimed at people travelling on foot...

• Like 1