Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Celebration Update

Hi all,

It's been a quiet week from us so I thought I'd give an update on what we're doing with Celebration, AWS, and future plans.

On Monday we will be taking Celebration down to make some optimizations to the database. We are hopeful that this addresses the lag and that we can right-size the volume that hosts Celebration's data after a period of reviewing metrics. We can then continue with the AWS migration.

I've been working on a back-up plan should the above fail, which is to convert the current infrastructure I've built into something that can be deployed anywhere - not just AWS.

I don't think I've really said enough about how radically different the server configuration is in this new infrastructure, and how much easier it is to maintain. I didn't want to lose any of that in the event AWS doesn't work out for us. So for those tech-savvy people: I've been using Ansible to provision a VM locally to the same specifications as the instances I built in AWS. There's still some AWS dependency for now, but this gives us the freedom to look at other hosting options should we be unable to optimize the instance and database sufficiently to support Wurm.

Just to be clear, the presence of this back-up plan is just that - as a fall back plan in the event that AWS cannot be optimized enough. We have not abandoned AWS at this time and we want to exhaust all of our options before we make that call. We just don't want to keep all our eggs in the same cloud.

So that sums things up!

Happy Wurming!

• Like 10

My husband Catullus and I have been on Celebration since 2013 and absolutely don't want to move. We belong to a loyal, well-established veteran community with substantial skills. Please find a way to correct the continual and constant lag issues on our server. We appreciate all efforts to do so. Also, could we be compensated for this long-term ongoing issue in some meaningful way? That would speak volumes to our loyal and dedicated community. 

Thanks much,

Sugarrodenta

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sugar said:

My husband Catullus and I have been on Celebration since 2013 and absolutely don't want to move. We belong to a loyal, well-established veteran community with substantial skills. Please find a way to correct the continual and constant lag issues on our server. We appreciate all efforts to do so. Also, could we be compensated for this long-term ongoing issue in some meaningful way? That would speak volumes to our loyal and dedicated community. 

Thanks much,

Sugarrodenta

every single server in wurm lags and as of lately very much

3 minutes ago, sugar said:

Thanks much,

Sugarrodenta

I can't speak for compensation, but I do want to discuss internally.

The main issue with compensation is we cannot really do a single-server level of compensation. I mean we can do sleep bonus per-server, but that doesn't help after the fact since people may have gone to stay at a friend's deed because of the lag. Those people would miss out. And if we announced it beforehand and said "Hey! Come home so you can get free stuff!" then we'd have people flock to Celebration for it anyway. :)So anything we decide upon will likely be after we're done with all this host-moving and be applied globally.

So it's not something I can promise, but it is something on my mind due to all this.

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

I don't think I've really said enough about how radically different the server configuration is in this new infrastructure, and how much easier it is to maintain. I didn't want to lose any of that in the event AWS doesn't work out for us. So for those tech-savvy people: I've been using Ansible to provision a VM locally to the same specifications as the instances I built in AWS.

Well done, I think this is exactly the right way to go.

Ansible is a cool software to go with and you don't risk loosing all the work in case one of the hosting plans doesn't work out.

I am not using Ansible yet but I set servers up in the same way, making moving them as easy as possible.

Edited by Sklo:D

The lag on Celebration has been extremely annoying for a while now, but Xanadu has been putting up with that for years.

If compensation was a viable option, maybe reward Marks are the way to go, since these are meant for Loyalty anyway.

Thanks for the update @Keenanmuch appreciated. Best of luck in figuring this out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, solmark said:

The lag on Celebration has been extremely annoying for a while now, but Xanadu has been putting up with that for years.

If compensation was a viable option, maybe reward Marks are the way to go, since these are meant for Loyalty anyway.

Thanks for the update @Keenanmuch appreciated. Best of luck in figuring this out.

How many sleep bonus hours can we get for us Xanadians putting up with lag for years?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

How many sleep bonus hours can we get for us Xanadians putting up with lag for years?

Pre-existing conditions are not applicable.  People that chose to move to Xanadu, despite the lag, are not eligible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Pre-existing conditions are not applicable.  People that chose to move to Xanadu, despite the lag, are not eligible.

Lighten up bud. I know its difficult for you but some of us here are not really serious all the time. Its a joke.

If I were serious, I wouldn't be trying to trigger 1/4 of the freedom player base with my previous statement.

4 hours ago, Wargasm said:

I didn't know it was bad when I moved there... still haven't spent enough time on other servers to see a difference either. ;) 

JS

23 hours ago, sugar said:

Thanks much,

Sugarrodenta

Celebration norm, please have at most 2 seconds lag between refreshing and menu interaction

A quick update.

We rolled out the optimizations a day early due to needing to restart for Easter eggs to be available for folks. Unfortunately the database optimizations did not make enough of an impact on lag, so we are currently looking at the next steps to address this situation.

I'll post a more meaty update when I have more information to share. Just know that we're still working on this and appreciate the patience as we work through such a huge change in server infrastructure.

• Like 4

On 4/11/2020 at 12:01 PM, Keenan said:

And if we announced it beforehand and said "Hey! Come home so you can get free stuff!" then we'd have people flock to Celebration for it anyway.

That would definitely be a good stress test for the new server configuration.