Sign in to follow this  
archer

Wurm Advertisement? Where have you seen it?

Inspired by the thoughts of a webpage design improvements Finnn was suggesting above, I was going to reply directly here but considering topics, etc, I posted under Suggestions instead. 

TLDR (regarding the link) the main Wurm Online webpage needs an option clearly labelled 'Downloads' or something along those lines to click directly instead of the unclear 'Play' button alone.

Suggestion: download link on main Wurm Online webpage

BTW regarding advertising.  Am I the only old-timer that remembers that Wurm Online under Rolf once had a very short cable television commercial?  This was about 8+ years ago.

I only viewed it perhaps once, very late night on what my memory recalls was on the old G4 gaming network.   It was a single image with a professional voiceover advertising Wurm Online.

Really short on recalling details, I know, and sorry about that, but the advertisement was only about 10-15 seconds or so.  Maybe one of the other early generation of Wurm Online gamers can post more info if they recall or find data on it?

Edited by Tristanc
added topic note
  • Like 1

This guy makes mmo reviews (first impressions).

https://www.youtube.com/user/ALazyPeon

Just gave him like few free months of premium. If he show it to a people, many could try.

I have seen few of his videos, and he is very solid.

Edited by Wilczan

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

This guy makes mmo reviews (first impressions).

https://www.youtube.com/user/ALazyPeon

Just gave him like few free months of premium. If he show it to a people, many could try.

I have seen few of his videos, and he is very solid.

Great idea, but The Lazy Peon ain't known as a very patient gamer :)

I wouldn't pick him.

6 hours ago, Finnn said:

1 of the problems is.. official website.. is not used for anything.. news gets dumped on forums, links on the website used to get me throw 3 hyperlinks until I get to the news thread(or not)..

At first I 'complained' about it, eventually stopped caring and opened forums directly when there are news/patches, same thing with launcher it used to open a series of hyperlinks to follow to get to actual patchnotes/news.

Usability is in the background for some reason, value your time, value player/customer's time, supporting more content on the website that leads to dead-ends wasted everybody's time: for example launcher's latest news currently is: https://www.wurmonline.com/2020/04/17/wsa-free-faith-transfer-expiring/ and opens a link to the website, no link to forum post with literally same news/announcement, but in the forum announcement a guy writes 'oh cool, so there are transfers, but how do you use that?" and than another reply follows with explanation how to actually utilize the feature the announcement reminds of(I'd call that VALUABLE and USEFUL information, but link between the two places is missing. Obviously.. not all news or announcements need to have comments or player opinion(example: enki banning pvp on chaos for a few hours or a day🙃, but whenever the discussion is open for the news/notes/announcements - such links could be useful and make the website a go to resource. (if synchronizing the links etc, like making forum post, getting a link, opening  a new post to format for the website etc... TAKES TIME, come up with something that is easy to manage and keeps things useful, there must be a win:win, but current format could improve)

Website still uses the old pictures, none of the new steam profile gallery pics are in the gallery on the official website, idk why.

One of the biggest issues of the website is it's completely useless to existing players, not sure how much use new ones find on it, but basics - work obviously - register new account, open the shop for silver/premium, besides that.. information is a bit chaotic, menu option like "More info -> Tutorials" leads straight to the wiki(there's no indication that the link leads out of the website into a wiki)

Website's graphics are generally a bit outdated.. for example https://www.wurmonline.com/features/skills-and-characteristics/ have a screenshot from 2014 (judging by the wp-content upload link to the image),
Skills.png

Sentimental value, sure, but graphics look 'a bit' better now, why not show the improved version? (it's what sells the game for many)

Jackal/rift rewards and skins could be shown somewhere.. 'kids' love collecting items, let them see the rare/unique things they can collect in the game.

Along the steam update work, website is going to be used more or less to check the game's state and information.. and it could use an update for few old images, idk about information*, but rethinking and implementing actual usability of the WWW space could make it a useful resource.

Yeah there's many issues with both the usability and look and feel of the website. I can say that we're in the process of a major website overhaul, which is why these things haven't been updated yet. I will pass along all this info though! 

On 4/11/2020 at 9:24 PM, Skatyna said:

But from my own experience how i found out about wurm was my own initiative to try to dig a game in google that would hit certain aspects i was looking in the game at that time. In other words, it was a very deep search and even then wurm only came up at the end of the list.. Said that is was 7 years ago, but things havent changed.

That was pretty much my experience, toward the end of 2019.  I was using very specific search terms, and refining as I went and eventually found a shortish list of games meeting most of my specified factors.  I think wurm was the 3rd I installed.  Of number 1 and 2, one of them I uninstalled before finishing the tutorial and the other I finished the tutorial but never went back (uninstalled it about a week ago).  Wurm had what I was looking for; or at least has come the closest of any offerings I can find.  

IIRC Wurm was a fair way down that list I found, and there was not a lot of detail about it.

Where was I?  Oh, the website... in all my searching I never got a single hit on the website itself (in the first couple of pages of returns), and was reliant on somebody else in the know deciding it worth including in their list.  Of itself, this is not necessarily a bad thing, if the referring sources are themselves well known and credible and are themselves impressed by Wurm.   But either way, whether through decent SEO or through impressing current reviewers (which would be a bit hard, because it is a bit of slow burn), the landing page needs to grab.  Again, a quick grab is hard for what I think is a slow burning game, but that's what PR and Marketing people are for.

Suggestion:  what if there was an "industry" server for reviewers?  A brief start with the same gear/skills etc as any newbie but with some kind of a fast forward into a deep dive of what a "player" can do in Wurm.  I was in-world weeks-to-months before I started to really find my footing.  I knew in my waters that Wurm had that, I don't know what (as the French say) but it took a while to find it.  Would a reviewer invest that kind of time, or just tell their readers "TL:DR"?  I am talking of some kind of separate "show case" world, a tasting platter of wurm fare.