Sign in to follow this  
archer

Wurm Advertisement? Where have you seen it?

This ad just showed on my facebook feed:

e8a1eb375ae20b8e189a88f05fbcd594.png

('Sponsorowane' = sponsored)

I've checked him out, he's a polish player. Well... technically silesian.

Well done! I think it's the first ad featuring Wurm Online I've seen and I was shocked.

Where else have you seen Wurm advertised?

• Like 1

Are you sure that's not him paying for an add to display to people on FB?

Looking at his social media he has a tiny presence so I don't see where the value would come from for a paid advertisement. 

Yes, he is paying for it, it's paid advertisement. Sorry, I thought it's clear.

We've noticed large influence of new players on polish Discord. I'm not following this guy, but FB decided to show me his ad. I just appreciate, that he decided to pay to promote Wurm (well... I know he paid to promote himself, but he could choose more popular game for the ad).

Edited by archer

Actually he is promoting his twitch channel using an image from Wurm Online and the hashtag #wurmonline. But the URL leads to his twitch, so he is not really advertising the game itself.

You can compare this with a supermarket advertising itself by using the newest and cheapest products.

Edited by Sklo:D

Hopefully they will try to advertise more once steam versions come out. But running an ad campaign is(can be) expensive. I don't think it's worth it to do it before steam. And maybe just putting the game on Steam will be enough, we will have to wait and see.

The only other time I've seen PTC is that market that did it a long time ago(Glasshallow?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enuf said:

Hopefully they will try to advertise more once steam versions come out. But running an ad campaign is(can be) expensive. I don't think it's worth it to do it before steam. And maybe just putting the game on Steam will be enough, we will have to wait and see.

The only other time I've seen PTC is that market that did it a long time ago(Glasshallow?)

I read a newspaper article recently where new studies showed that steam has almost no advertisement factor anymore, since there are at least 200+ new games released per week. This is forcing steam to advertise only big well known titles and incredible trending titles from small developers. 

• Like 2

I have wurm online liked on facebook, also commented few times, so facebook theoretically should got wo mark on me but I havn't seen this ad so far.

Wurm Advertisement? Where have you seen it?

Nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

I read a newspaper article recently where new studies showed that steam has almost no advertisement factor anymore, since there are at least 200+ new games released per week. This is forcing steam to advertise only big well known titles and incredible trending titles from small developers. 

Ultimately any studies can prove anything, so while a study may say it has zero impact, it's clear that Steam can play a massive role in exposure when utilised well. 

Steam will get you exposure; it's what you do with that that matters. Steamlabs helps people find games like what they play already. Broadcasting via the page is a big thing too. 

A lot of the reason other games don't get exposure is that they don't work on it. I intend on working with all of steams tools to make sure our launch is the best it can be, including working with the VEN team to have broadcasting done via the steam page for exposure, encouraging people to wishlist (Steam LOVES wishlists!) and making sure the page pops. 

If you haven't wishlisted it yet, it's 100% worth doing it, as the Steam suggests games based on how many viewers engage with it, more engagements, more suggestions. 

The above is why it's easy to say only "big games" get any use out of it. The irony is that they don't need it. Yes, they get front page and the front page takeover, but advertising on Steam is WAY more than just that, it's about people liking X having Y recommended based on the fact that other people who like X like Y. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Steamlabs helps people find games like what they play already.

yet, wurm is a game "like no other" and ppl dont play it. That most ppl eat bananas or oranges and they are the most popular between them as fruits ,it doesnt mean that the platform will suggest them to try Mangosteen as that's a fruit too most of you dont even know exist. Get my point?

i do agree with you there are some tools to use on stream and i really hope they will get used as best as possible. But from my own experience how i found out about wurm was my own initiative to try to dig a game in google that would hit certain aspects i was looking in the game at that time. In other words, it was a very deep search and even then wurm only came up at the end of the list.. Said that is was 7 years ago, but things havent changed. End of the line - if wurm wont get exposed massively to the public, it will never be known. 

Just now, Skatyna said:

i do agree with you there are some tools to use on stream and i really hope they will get used as best as possible. But from my own experience how i found out about wurm was my own initiative to try to dig a game in google that would hit certain aspects i was looking in the game at that time. In other words, it was a very deep search and even then wurm only came up at the end of the list.. Said that is was 7 years ago, but things havent changed. End of the line - if wurm wont get exposed massively to the public, it will never be known. 

I think your analogy is a little broken, because this is exactly what Steam does. 

Steam breaks the game down by tags, follows trends in those tags, exposes the games to those who play games with similar tags and allows people who are likely to play it to be shown it. 

A lot affects the Steam discovery and labs algorithms, positive reviews, wishlists, a spike in activity, updates. 

You don't have to know Steam exists to be recommended it, Steam builds the connection for you. 

• Like 1

@Retrogradedo you guys have any marketing / advertisement budget? Or is it solely based on volunteering?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Ultimately any studies can prove anything, so while a study may say it has zero impact, it's clear that Steam can play a massive role in exposure when utilised well. 

Steam will get you exposure; it's what you do with that that matters. Steamlabs helps people find games like what they play already. Broadcasting via the page is a big thing too. 

A lot of the reason other games don't get exposure is that they don't work on it. I intend on working with all of steams tools to make sure our launch is the best it can be, including working with the VEN team to have broadcasting done via the steam page for exposure, encouraging people to wishlist (Steam LOVES wishlists!) and making sure the page pops. 

If you haven't wishlisted it yet, it's 100% worth doing it, as the Steam suggests games based on how many viewers engage with it, more engagements, more suggestions. 

The above is why it's easy to say only "big games" get any use out of it. The irony is that they don't need it. Yes, they get front page and the front page takeover, but advertising on Steam is WAY more than just that, it's about people liking X having Y recommended based on the fact that other people who like X like Y. 

With no doubt steam is one of the best ways to distribute your game and help you to have a central point to be found. But it can't really help you to be found in the first place, there are far too many games released every week. Just test it by yourself, open steam and browse around and count how many new titles which aren't considered "hyped" are advertised to you. You see RDR2 and Factorio and so on but the majority of the not algorithmically considered hyped titles aren't advertised. So I think everyone needs to be realisitic on that.

Of course using all steam tools available will help you doing SEO, which can improve your games income a lot. I tend to compare steam with the Google Play Store, where the situation is similar, there is an incredible amount of Apps and not all can be advertised. Many years ago I released a good bunch of Apps, so I have quite a bit of experience with how hard it can be to push something on an extremly popular platform. There is a hard and exhausting task awaiting you.

In the 10+ years of me being around Wurm Ive only seen advertisement the couple times when Redbaron did it and Wassoo before him.

This game has always relied on things like "Hey we made some new shiny stuff that old players might like..." and it spams out a few emails to us old players.

Im curious to see how well they handle this second launch of Wurm to Steam. Im sure that company that bought owners share of Wurm wants to get their money back, its evident by the changes that they're about to try and bleed the community (both old and new). So will they throw a decent marketing budget to the steam launch in order to get any sort of ROI, well I sure hope so. A lot of changes, very good ones at that, have gone to the new player experience so I hope like hell they're not banking on just STEAM, steam tools and wishlists being the only marketing tool...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ruger said:

This game has always relied on things like "Hey we made some new shiny stuff that old players might like..." and it spams out a few emails to us old players.

Weird thing is - doesn't matter how many times I mark emails from Wurm as 'not a spam' new ones always end up in spam folder on Gmail.

3 hours ago, archer said:

Weird thing is - doesn't matter how many times I mark emails from Wurm as 'not a spam' new ones always end up in spam folder on Gmail.

For me works fine, wurm emails do not land in spam folder.

3 hours ago, archer said:

You messed up some filter or added to spam their email..  I received the last 2 mails in the inbox for example

heh i pay alot for google ads back in time when i want to bring more ppl to it...  i spend kinda nice money...  but was stupid 

I shared Tomek's ad.  I would repost others if people come up with ones I like  ;)

I found wurm via the java forums because rolf asking questions on how to fix certain annoying bugs in code it was also advertised there in a banner ad in the java games section on the java forums
Anyway to do steam properly you need to engage with all aspects of steam like retro said a lot of devs just put their game up post about it on their existing social media pages and expect it to go big and thus fail as steam doesnt look at that
The biggest thing really is wishlisting pre release and then broadcasting/active engagement on discussion after release and good reviews and a great catching page

People say that wurm is one of a kind and yes it is but similar games on steam doesnt mean "similar to wurm" it means "who here plays wurm or other games from this developer and also plays other games together" so games like rimworld terraria and funny enough path of exile and many more games like it all fall into that group and the more people that wish list it the more steam will look at games we all share and have a lot of hours in and will recommend wurm to more players

Say i make a new steam account and only play rimworld on there it will suggest a lot of colony games and also a lot of grinding games
Now add in some other games like stardew valley for example and its even more likely to recommend wurm(it used to do this for wu for rl friend of mine who i dont have on steam) 

We the players can put in the work next to retro to make sure that steamlabs will recommend wurm to players who use the feature to find similar games and thus coupled with a few days of being visible on the front page and getting good reviews it will get atleast a few hundred+ people interested to try it out

Now the biggest part is wurm's retention rate is insanely low way lower then any other mmo out there and thats because of how wurm is we cant change that unless we destroy what wurm is all about but having it on steam having it be visible in searches having it there will help boost wurm's player count in the long run

Now the only issue i have with the steam wurm page is picture 7 when can we hide behind towers and be invisible like that :(:P

Not sure to what extent it qualifies as advertising, but this guy did mention Wurm Online, comparing it to Chronicles of Elyria (a scam mmo), but the comparison was on the graphical side not implying Wurm is a scam.

Issue is, in the video you can see he got hold of old footage, and he mentioned Wurm still looks as in 2010. I think a big issue with Wurm is the lack of results on how Wurm looks now with its modern updates. It made leaps and bounds from how it looked 10 years ago but why aren't there trailers for it?

1. Graphics Trailer.

2. Mechanics Trailer (showcase fun stuff you can do in game such as catapulting a cow in your neighbours garden)

3. Gameplay trailer

4. Player interaction trailer

5. Etc.

Wurm really lacks Officialy Endorsed content such as these videos so people can get a feel what it's about.

If you type in "Wurm Online reviews" , which is what many players do before jumping in a game, you get results from 2013. This is no good. Wurm needs reviews, needs exposure and most of all the results need to take you to contemporary videos and images, not stuff from 10 years ago.

I don't really understand even now why you haven't asked for marketing volunteers for Wurm, you can incentivise it by offering cute rewards in game such as a few rare items or titles for helping out. The community of Wurm is a very rare one, considering its demographic. It's not like fortnite, where a big chunk is made out of kids and teens. Wurm is primarily made out of working adults and yet you don't use that resource to its fullest potential. Current Wurmians are playing Wurm out of passion , because there is no game on the market that offers the same options and freedom.

Hell, there are a lot of games out there that incentivise players to invite friends and get small rewards from bringing in new blood to the game.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 1

Never seen an advertisement.     I have seen some reviews. Probably nothing newer than 2015.   

Exactly this...  WURM needs a fresh marketing package to be published on the website under their "Media" menu item.  The few screen shots look great, but its not enough for a reviewer , blogger, or media outlet to utilize.   They shouldn't need to ask for a full media package.  Those media assets should just be provided to anyone who wants to use them.    Logos, more video clips, a current news wire/ trade clip (if one is ever made) and a recent (positive) review quote from a professional gaming site/magazine.  All with the community doing a fresh round of reviews themselves.  

A pro-blogger/vlogger/reviewer will not spend time creating content on their initial review.    If WURM doesn't provide a full media package then its another barrier to getting exposure.     You want enough marketing thrust behind those media assets so these same outlets will actually get in game and start clipping their own assets to be used with the "official WURM media asset package".

PS: website's copyright and code club links are outdated

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowmantis said:

Never seen an advertisement.     I have seen some reviews. Probably nothing newer than 2015.   

Exactly this...  WURM needs a fresh marketing package to be published on the website under their "Media" menu item.  The few screen shots look great, but its not enough for a reviewer , blogger, or media outlet to utilize.   They shouldn't need to ask for a full media package.  Those media assets should just be provided to anyone who wants to use them.    Logos, more video clips, a current news wire/ trade clip (if one is ever made) and a recent (positive) review quote from a professional gaming site/magazine.  All with the community doing a fresh round of reviews themselves.  

A pro-blogger/vlogger/reviewer will not spend time creating content on their initial review.    If WURM doesn't provide a full media package then its another barrier to getting exposure.     You want enough marketing thrust behind those media assets so these same outlets will actually get in game and start clipping their own assets to be used with the "official WURM media asset package".

PS: website's copyright and code club links are outdated

We have a press kit available that will be on the website in the future too, the codeclub SE link has always been hjit and miss, I asked about just adding "about code club" to the website but we'll see how it goes. 

A full media package exist and it's shared with many sites and review sites, a good time to do a fresh run will be after the most common complaint is addressed. 

• Like 2

1 of the problems is.. official website.. is not used for anything.. news gets dumped on forums, links on the website used to get me throw 3 hyperlinks until I get to the news thread(or not)..

At first I 'complained' about it, eventually stopped caring and opened forums directly when there are news/patches, same thing with launcher it used to open a series of hyperlinks to follow to get to actual patchnotes/news.

Usability is in the background for some reason, value your time, value player/customer's time, supporting more content on the website that leads to dead-ends wasted everybody's time: for example launcher's latest news currently is: https://www.wurmonline.com/2020/04/17/wsa-free-faith-transfer-expiring/ and opens a link to the website, no link to forum post with literally same news/announcement, but in the forum announcement a guy writes 'oh cool, so there are transfers, but how do you use that?" and than another reply follows with explanation how to actually utilize the feature the announcement reminds of(I'd call that VALUABLE and USEFUL information, but link between the two places is missing. Obviously.. not all news or announcements need to have comments or player opinion(example: enki banning pvp on chaos for a few hours or a day🙃, but whenever the discussion is open for the news/notes/announcements - such links could be useful and make the website a go to resource. (if synchronizing the links etc, like making forum post, getting a link, opening  a new post to format for the website etc... TAKES TIME, come up with something that is easy to manage and keeps things useful, there must be a win:win, but current format could improve)

Website still uses the old pictures, none of the new steam profile gallery pics are in the gallery on the official website, idk why.

One of the biggest issues of the website is it's completely useless to existing players, not sure how much use new ones find on it, but basics - work obviously - register new account, open the shop for silver/premium, besides that.. information is a bit chaotic, menu option like "More info -> Tutorials" leads straight to the wiki(there's no indication that the link leads out of the website into a wiki)

Website's graphics are generally a bit outdated.. for example https://www.wurmonline.com/features/skills-and-characteristics/ have a screenshot from 2014 (judging by the wp-content upload link to the image),
Skills.png

Sentimental value, sure, but graphics look 'a bit' better now, why not show the improved version? (it's what sells the game for many)

Jackal/rift rewards and skins could be shown somewhere.. 'kids' love collecting items, let them see the rare/unique things they can collect in the game.

Along the steam update work, website is going to be used more or less to check the game's state and information.. and it could use an update for few old images, idk about information*, but rethinking and implementing actual usability of the WWW space could make it a useful resource.

• Like 3