Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Project Proposal: Connecting Summerholt Area better to the Rest of Xanadu

The Summerholt area is certainly an interesting part of our continent, but sadly disconnected and remote from the rest of the continent. That prevented me twice from participating in events (impalong etc.) in that area, as it was not reasonably reachable in finite time from the northwest and center of Xanadu. I cannot speak for the south but fail to see that the situation is better from there.

What is missing in particular, is a shipping route from the central lake string Glasshollow fjord, Lake Selkie and on east to Ageless tunnel. That would make the area reachable from central, northern, and southern areas alike.

The idea would be a boat tunnel from either E21 or E22 down to the northern end if Shimmer Lake (if that name is correct) in F22. Below two variants as a proposal.

tgaHTdn.jpg

The length of the tunnel would be around 400 tiles, 3 tiles width should be considered, as well as 20 flotation depth for all boats, or just knarr size (2 w 7 d) as a start.  It would need a number of volunteers to make that project start much more have a chance to be finished. 

Edited by Ekcin
correction

That's more like 600+ tiles, and I would know because I'm the one that tunneled the canal to the lake that your screenshot above is originating from in the SE.

To reach Summerholt from the ocean, you simply go in the next bay to the east (d24).  Since E21 is pretty close to the ocean, the only benefit I see to such a massive undertaking would be for what few people live in the center of Xanadu to not have to go out to the ocean and then in to Summerholt.

Not worth the trouble, IMHO.

There is a project comprising 2 tunnels that Aske started over a year ago. The progress is rather slow though. One problem is lack of clear direction, the other is just getting people up there to mine, also the sheer scope of it is daunting.

https://prnt.sc/rwgf5r

First, thanks for the answers. Dale, the project you displayed is awesome. If there is a possibility to summon me down there I could participate in it by mining (skill 93) or by erupting and freezing resource tiles in the way (and not worth mining out) for a couple of hours most days. Also I could provide a strongwall priest.

As an answer to Wargasm, and to explain why this project would be significant: First, I can estimate the amount of work, certainly no less but also not significantly more than LVA tunnel which we completed between November, 2019, and January, 2020 with a relatively small crew.  That was an about 600 tiles work, and was not easy due to old mines and dropshafts in the way. So, with some determination, it is certainly feasible, and the project Dale showed is wonderful.

Yet, to the question of shipping lanes, and why the Summerholt area is so remote to many of us, take, as an example, my case, which may exemplify the situation for most living in the northwest, and center, or somewhat beyond. I live in NE G13 (red x on the map), bit landlocked, but have a tunnel system with boat mine exit to the lake to the east and the north:

https://imgur.com/a/SZVmd53

It takes about 4 grid tiles to sail for me to get into the northern ocean shores (the gateway to the other servers), bit more than 8 tiles to reach the western ocean either through the tunnel to Glasshollow Fjord, or down to Lake Selkie and through Fogshore Tunnel westbound. All players living around the northwestern lakes, or around Lake Selkie, or Hammer Lake, have to master similar distances.

But: sailing 8 tiles to the east, I am only in the E20 area. To reach Summerholt and the settlements around, it takes other 9-11 grid tiles to sail, out to the ocean, around the peninsula, then down south and southwest again. A canal from E20/21 to Shimmer Lake would shorten that by well 7 grid tiles.

Therefore I deem it worth while to complete such a project which would close another gap in the awesome Xanadu inner canal system.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum
  • Like 1

Ekcin, I would suggest trying to contact Aske in-game to see if he is still actively working on that project. As I said there are some issues with it, which I won't go into here, but it's a viable project. The long E/W portion was close to done last I saw. Perhaps with increased interest and support it could be revived. PM me if you'd like (in-game is best as I only check the forums once a day) and we can discuss the challenges as I see them :) and I can let you know when Aske is online.

• Like 1

Update to this: the first leg of the tunnel is now passable by knarr. still work to do on it of course, and lots of work to be done on the second leg from the lake in F21 north to the coast, but progress is being made :)  Anyone who would like to help out with some mining or perhaps a few strongwall casts, beams, etc., more than happy to accept the help. Contact Aske in-game. You can ask any NEXA member to alert you when he's online.

• Like 2

To shortly describe what is done: The east-west tunnel is 5 lane, 2 road lanes to become a highway once all resource veins in the way are cleared, and 3 (2 and a half) water lanes to be lowered to cog/caravel depth some day. All walls are reinforced. The road has highway fit entrances on both sides. Once all resource veins are cleared about 1100 support beams, 550 catseyes, and accordingly bricks and mortar are needed to make a nice highway which is planned in the future to connect into and over the mountains west of F21.

This is what is left to mine out:

Spoiler

HCIkSF0.jpg

The south to north (F21 to E21) tunnel is also fully mined out to 3 lanes (to become 3 shipping lanes) now, and fully reinforced. Yet floors have to be lowered by about 40-50 slope on 3x220 tiles ca. to make it passable for ships (is rock floor atm). And there are about 43 resource veins to be mined out (posting a list below, that is a moving target though as we are working on).

Spoiler

W66G7kV.png

Everyone wanting to help is welcome. Aske may accommodate helpers in his deed "Bos Harbor" in F21, additionally, we have a workers's shed in the desert area in F21. I have 2 priests in the area who may summon.

Some pics: pygSK5e.jpg

Tunnel Entrance at Bos Harbour in F22

E1DwIQq.jpg

Highway junction and tunnel road entrance at Bos Harbour

Lx1pdbk.jpg

Tunnel exit to lake at F21

hMIo173.jpg

Inside the tunnel

CxSC042.jpg

Road exit in F21

2TljtpJ.jpg

Workers' shed and road exit in F21

Hw1nQaX.jpg

Northern tunnel exit in E21

J5nHYZS.jpg

Inside northern tunnel.

Edited by Ekcin
added veins to mine for tunnel 2
  • Like 2

Short update: We removed a lot of resource veins in the northern tunnel

ArrwmQt.png

Still we are a very small team, basically Aske and me. Any assistance would be appreciated.

HI 

Can i put my hat in the ring to help with this i am not a pro player but will keep me busy?

First, thanks to Alakuzam for the offer, I sent you a PM.

Now to the status of the project: The veins in the northern tunnel are gone, ok except 2 which are already scheduled to be erupt/freeze'd so practically gone. Lowering the tunnel to navigability (for Knarr so far) has progressed quite nicely, we are now 140 tiles away from the northern tunnel exit. May be done in a few days.

The east-west tunnel is now lit with blessed buoys, one every 10 tiles, so is the northern one as far as we mined it down (til position 110 from south). Aske has built a nice 2 lane sandstone street bridge over the northern tunnel mound area on surface.

Pictures:

RV1I6xS.jpg

Northern tunnel exit area

kcBNcWs.jpg

Exit from there (E21, east of Votherheim deed) to the ocean

nPu5yq2.jpg

Work area in northern tunnel

i9rdU13.jpg

Southern exit of north-south tunnel in F21

Still to do: 41 resource veins to remove on the roadway (highway project) in the east-west tunnel. Further on: Somewhat over 1000 support beams and about 500 catseyes for that highway.

KmBr2ym.png

Edit: As one can see from the table, 12 veins (those on lane 3, the intermediate between road and waterway) do not urgently need removal for the highway to be completed.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum
  • Like 1

I can help with highway, including supply of highway markers, which I can come and install. 

Edited by Platyna

Thanks a lot, that will be highly appreciated. Resource veins are gone except 2 now which will be done by saturday so that the 2lane road could be reinforced and (paved) and catseyed.

8 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Thanks a lot, that will be highly appreciated. Resource veins are gone except 2 now which will be done by saturday so that the 2lane road could be reinforced and (paved) and catseyed.

Just call me in game or on forum when I am needed, I can do the work including levelling with concrete (I do not provide it) and pavement work (I do provide pavers for free if I am allowed to apply my standard sandstone/marble pavement pattern) or lay whatever you hand to me.

Edited by Platyna

The recent status is that all tiles for the highway are flat, and somewhat over 1000 support beams are needed for reinforcing the floors. As to pavement patterns I would prefer to contact Aske who started the project.

Well she can contact me and tell me what she wishes for, if she has some pavement project and will provide pavers I can lay it, I can also create pavers if provided raw materials (as I do not mine) but if she doesn't I can lay my own pattern with my own pavers, no difference for me. 🙂 Either way, I can provide and lay highway markers. 

Edited by Platyna

Ok thanks, I shall inform Aske in case he did not read himself. He seems to prefer round cobblestone :) . I shall finish poofing veins with my priest team by tomorrow and then prolly begin to produce support beams and reinforce floors.