Sign in to follow this  
fossil

Ship Delivery System

Hi.

I had a thought today.

Would it be possible to implement a ship delivery system , kinda like the wagoner that we currently have?

:D

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, as long as the navigation route could be done by placing Buoys, similar to catseyes. Or add a new buoy type specifically for this purpose. It would be a nice wurm project, to connect the seas, lakes and rivers across servers.

Call 'em sea-eyes? :) 

Final destinations can be implemented by making a jetty at docks where ships can anchor automatically.

Only issue I see is heavy ships like caravels that might get stuck into shallow canals, but knarrs should do fine.

yeah, especially for those people that don't have the confidence in travelling and risking loosing their home location 

9 hours ago, elentari said:

Only issue I see is heavy ships like caravels that might get stuck into shallow canals, but knarrs should do fine.

Easy fix... in order to be part of the "buoy highway", tiles on either side must be at least 20 dirts deep.

I wouldn't really call that an easy fix tbh. Consider independence that has how many canals? It would be an insane amount of work to dredge all of them. 

9 hours ago, elentari said:

I wouldn't really call that an easy fix tbh. Consider independence that has how many canals? It would be an insane amount of work to dredge all of them. 

Can't agree more. There are quite a number of well built tunnels which are knarr passable, but also a ride- and driveway. That would be destroyed by lowering the floor while the tunnels would be widely impassable for player steered caravel/cog/corbita due to insufficient ceiling height.

Even if dropping the 20 dirt flotation depth the project would be huge if feasible at all. Planting a buoy on each tile would mean an insane number of buoys to be crafted. Further on, there had to be an equivalent to waypoints, defining crossings, junctions, and endpoints.

Though a charming idea, it needed a lot of consideration and planning before implementation.

+1 for making a ship that can have a ship loaded onto it

6 hours ago, Pankivtanke said:

after that - make a taxi. I dont like the idea.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good addition.

There's a reason most MMOS have options to travel faster, because no one wants to waste 45 minutes of their own life navigating through the same routes for the nth time. But Wurm has to have this die hard mentality that our time is infinite, that we have a lot of it to spare by sailing, without actually gaining anything from said travel outside some pretty sites or deeds you might pass by. 

You forget that connecting buoys (and by the way they don't even have to be connected tile by tile, they could be connected once every 10 tiles for example) would ease part of the grind that is Wurm. Wurm is 90% grind when you get down to it.

Issue with travelling and it's been brought up 1000 times before, on Epic (Elevation), on Freedom, on Xanadu is the huge time sink it requires from getting from point A to point B.

Let's just keep this wonderful system of sailing at the whims of the wind (can sometimes be as low as 10 km/h). Lets see how many new people would enjoy that without getting the nagging sensation in their brains "I should be doing something else with my life, shouldn't I? Washing dishes maybe or learn a new language. Why am I spending 60 minutes of my life sailing in a video game? Euro-ship simulator 2020. "

They already gave us the "set destination" option a few years back. This would be too much for me.

Such a system would be an optional feature. You can always sail manually. No one is forcing you to "plot course" on a ship.

That's the whole point. No one is forcing anyone to use a wagoneer, you can always ride a wagon to a destionation. It's an optional feature made to save time. But I guess saving time is an ostracized philosophy in Wurm.

13 hours ago, elentari said:

Such a system would be an optional feature. You can always sail manually. No one is forcing you to "plot course" on a ship.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:44 AM, elentari said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, as long as the navigation route could be done by placing Buoys, similar to catseyes. Or add a new buoy type specifically for this purpose. It would be a nice wurm project, to connect the seas, lakes and rivers across servers.

Final destinations can be implemented by making a jetty at docks where ships can anchor automatically.

That's the whole point. No one is forcing anyone to use a wagoneer, you can always ride a wagon to a destionation. It's an optional feature made to save time. But I guess saving time is an ostracized philosophy in Wurm.

They may not be forcing us to plot course or use the wagoneer but highways with the catseyes are already pretty forced on us and created a good bit of fuss for those who didnt want a freeway through their backyard vs people on either side who wanted to connect. Thats with road systems already being a pretty established thing.

Imagine the mess and fuss of everyone trying to drop buoys all over the place near your shore cluttering up the view because they can't be bothered to navigate? I have to say no thanks. Its not something we can just choose not to be part of its a massive change to the world and landscape and we would all be stuck with it like it or not.

Players can do it just fine... just make it so a ship can pull another or load a sailboat or rowboat onto a bigger vessel.

JS

• Like 1